Studio Build

Bruce B

WBF Founding Member, Pro Audio Production Member
Apr 25, 2010
Snohomish, WA
www.pugetsoundstudios.com
Several folks have suggested I post photos of the build that took us over 2yr. This started off in a new home with a clean slate walk-out basement. Approximate dimensions at the start were 45' x 14' x 12'. I wanted three areas, Mastering room, Post room and Isolation area. The build alone was approx $300 sq/ft. We wanted isolation from the inside out and the outside in and trying to achieve a minimum of a STC rating of 65dB and at least a NC15.

This is what it looked like when we started.

DCP00911.JPG DCP00910.JPG

Bruce B

Apr 25, 2010
Snohomish, WA
After temporary wall, and soffits were torn down, the visqueen and insulation was removed. Next was to seal the cement and start caulking every single seam with acoustical caulking.

We also took out all the ventilation ducting to be replaced later with insulated acoustical ducts.

cement sealing.jpg caulking.jpg

Last edited:

Bruce B

Apr 25, 2010
Snohomish, WA
Every 3', we put blocking in the wall. Remember.... everything is this build got Glued and Screwed... there were absolutely no nails!

Attachments

• Blocking.jpg
    Blocking.jpg
    194.7 KB · Views: 948
  • Wall blocking.jpg
    Wall blocking.jpg
    350.5 KB · Views: 1,017
Last edited:

vinylphilemag

WBF Founding Member
Apr 30, 2010
Kelowna, BC
www.vinylphilemag.com
Thanks for starting this thread, Bruce. I find these sorts of threads fascinating, partly because I'm interested for the sake of being interested, but partly because I plan some renos myself for my music room (although nowhere near on the scale you, Mike Lavigne, Jacob H and co have done!). My budget and ability to perform structural changes are limited (gotta compromise to keep the boss happy!), but it's nice to see the sorts of things I need to consider.

Last edited:

Bruce B

Apr 25, 2010
Snohomish, WA
Would I be correct in thinking that your walls (even your internal ones) are framed using 2x6s (rather than the more usual 2x4s)?

That is correct. When we start building the room within a room, we use all engineered lumber! Also, both windows will be removed. In place of the sliding glass door will be a "communicating" doorway. This is a door on the outside and one on the inside with a 10" air gap.

Bruce B

Apr 25, 2010
Snohomish, WA
1. Window boarded up and caulked

2. First wall between rooms

3. Kinetics Noise Control Isolation blocks.

Window boarded up.jpg Wall.jpg Kinetics Noise Control blocks.jpg

Bruce B

Apr 25, 2010
Snohomish, WA
1. Top plate attachment

2. JPS Labs in-wall cable @ $24/ft

3. Roxul insulation in outside walls

Wall attachment.jpg JPS labs in-wall cable.jpg Batt insulation.jpg

Bruce B

Apr 25, 2010
Snohomish, WA
1. First layer of Drywall

2. Green Glue (24 cases used)

3. Second layer of drywall oriented 90 degrees from first layer

Drywall layer 1.jpg Green Glue.jpg Drywall layer 2.jpg

cjfrbw

Apr 20, 2010
Pleasanton, CA
Wow, this is fascinating.

audioarcher

May 6, 2012
Seattle area
Cool pics. It's interesting to see what you started with and how you got to where you are now. How many tubes of calking did you go through?:) Edit. Sorry I just saw that you used 24 cases! That must have taken a while.

Bruce B

Apr 25, 2010
Snohomish, WA
1. Inside walls are up and insulated with Roxul. Also damped-resilient channel by ASC was used throughout.

2. Attention to detail behind the walls! You can see the yellow Romex hanging from the ceiling. This is for the lighting and will be strictly on the house current and not on a separate power supply from the studio.

dRSC channel.jpg JPS wire behind.jpg

Bruce B

Apr 25, 2010
Snohomish, WA
How many tubes of calking did you go through?:) Edit. Sorry I just saw that you used 24 cases! That must have taken a while.

27 cases of Acoustical caulking and 24 cases of Green Glue that goes between the layers of drywall. Also used it between every joint.

Bruce B

Apr 25, 2010
Snohomish, WA
1. Pre-hung ceiling springs by Kinetics Noise Control. As you can see, no seams left out from acoustical caulking!!

2. Hat channel for ceiling

3. First layer of drywall on ceiling.

My Camera's Pictures 003.jpg My Camera's Pictures 058.jpg My Camera's Pictures 004.jpg

audioarcher

May 6, 2012
Seattle area
What is your ambient noise at now? Must be pretty low. What are your entry doors made of? I assume it has seals around it to stop noise.

Bruce B

Apr 25, 2010
Snohomish, WA
What is your ambient noise at now? Must be pretty low. What are your entry doors made of? I assume it has seals around it to stop noise.

It was measured at NC12. You can hear your heartbeat!

2" solid core doors with Zero International cam-lift hinges and seals all the way around.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing