Studer A807 wont play

carlosraj

Oct 22, 2017
Hi

I am having a problem with my Studer A807. When I press "play", the pinch roller engages but disengages after 1 or 2 seconds. At times it engages and plays for a while and then it disengages and stops. After checking, I realise that the pinch roller engages but the capstan is not turning. At times it engages and plays and the capstan is moving, but then the capstan stops moving and the pinch roller disengages and stops. I guess it has to do with the capstan motor or the roller bearing is jamming. Can someone please assist.

Thanks

Carlos

srs148

Jan 3, 2016
hi Carlos,

The A807 as with other Studer machines, is one that typically requires a full recap, including the large power supply capacitors. My last A807 had the exact same issue where pressing Play engaged the pinch roller momentarily with no capstan motion and then disengaged after a few seconds. Instead of chasing the specific issue, I sent it off for a full recap as I know that it's a matter of time before some other issue would crop up. Where are you located? Perhaps I can suggest a couple of names of techs who have experience working on the A807.

Best,
Steve

carlosraj

Oct 22, 2017
hi Carlos,

The A807 as with other Studer machines, is one that typically requires a full recap, including the large power supply capacitors. My last A807 had the exact same issue where pressing Play engaged the pinch roller momentarily with no capstan motion and then disengaged after a few seconds. Instead of chasing the specific issue, I sent it off for a full recap as I know that it's a matter of time before some other issue would crop up. Where are you located? Perhaps I can suggest a couple of names of techs who have experience working on the A807.

Best,
Steve
Hi

I am in Malaysia (located in South East Asia). I have recapped the entire machine about 2 years ago except the large power supply fllter caps. I was unable to source the exact type( with a bolt underneath for mounting). I would look around again to replace them, maybe that is the probable cause.

Thanks

Carlos

srs148

Jan 3, 2016
Hi

I am in Malaysia (located in South East Asia). I have recapped the entire machine about 2 years ago except the large power supply fllter caps. I was unable to source the exact type( with a bolt underneath for mounting). I would look around again to replace them, maybe that is the probable cause.

Thanks

Carlos
I would almost guarantee that the filter caps are what will be needed to resolve the issue. The A807 I most recently had recapped still did not play after every capacitor was replaced with the exception of the PS supply filter caps. Once the PS filter caps were replaced, it played again. You can purchase the appropriate power supply capacitors from Audiohouse in Switzerland (studerservice@audiohouse.ch) or Nagravox in Australia - https://nagravox.com/collections/studer-a807. I do not personally use Nagravox products as I feel they use inferior components based on others' feedback.

carlosraj

Oct 22, 2017
I would almost guarantee that the filter caps are what will be needed to resolve the issue. The A807 I most recently had recapped still did not play after every capacitor was replaced with the exception of the PS supply filter caps. Once the PS filter caps were replaced, it played again. You can purchase the appropriate power supply capacitors from Audiohouse in Switzerland (studerservice@audiohouse.ch) or Nagravox in Australia - https://nagravox.com/collections/studer-a807. I do not personally use Nagravox products as I feel they use inferior components based on others' feedback.
OK, I will order the caps soon. Will get back to you.

Thanks

Carlos

Reactions: srs148

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing