studer A 80 beating at around 1k

gary and roy

Feb 22, 2012
Hi, we have a studer A80 2 track that we want to use for a recording project. it has been fully serviced by an ex bbc engineer who is something of an expert. After some problems it is now working nicely, apart from a beating noise on playbck at around I k. This is not wow and flutter. someone has suggested that it might be a power supply issue ,has anyone else come across this.
thanks
Gary

Hi Gary
We also found some noise when we use two A80 to copy tapes but it sound like small sparks in occasionally, the way I did fix it is took the monitor amp off and also took off those speed select ( slow and high) switching transistors and by pass it into only high speed use, so far OK now but I am not sure your noise is the same thing anyway hope this can help
good luck
tony ma

Hi Gary:

Welcome to WBF.

In addition to what Tony had suggested,

Do you get the noise on both channels?
While playing tape?
or only when you push Input buttons?
Is your A80 an RC or VU model?

Ki

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing