Stravinsky ?– L'Histoire Du Soldat (A Soldier's Tale) Instrumental version. - Reference Quality LPs...

Strav_Mandell.jpg
Last year during one of our music sessions, I was introduced to the Westminster version - Robert Mandell conducting Ars Nova on Westminster WST 14041, this is probably the closest thing to sitting on God’s shoulder, listening to this remarkable music together.

Strav 1961.jpg
Yesterday, I was fortunate enough to be transported back to 1961 to hear Stravinsky conduct a small seven piece ensemble perform this remarkable piece of music. This is not main stream classical music, it's dissonant at times, even quirky but rewarding of extended listening.
You can read my listening notes here. Suffice to say, the original six-eye is of reference sound quality.

Strav RR.jpg
I ordered this today, so it will be a couple of weeks before I can share listening notes. Recorded in 1986 by Keith Johnson for Reference Recordings, it was released on both 33 and 45 RPM formats. I bought a NM copy of the 45.

In the meantime, if anyone has another reference quality recording / performance that they care to share, I would be much obliged for the heads-up.
Thanks,
Philip

Attachments

• Strav 1961.jpg
    Strav 1961.jpg
    83.5 KB · Views: 2
  • Strav_Mandell.jpg
    Strav_Mandell.jpg
    39.6 KB · Views: 1
  • Strav RR-2102_Cover.jpg
    Strav RR-2102_Cover.jpg
    62.5 KB · Views: 2
  • Strav RR.jpg
    Strav RR.jpg
    131.6 KB · Views: 1
Last edited:

dcc

VIP/Donor
Nov 4, 2012
Continental Europe -
French being my mother tongue, I cannot imagine listening to this piece of music without the tale which was a close collaboration between Stravinsky and Ramuz who wrote the text. IMHO, The best performance is the one directed by Igor Markevitch with Jean Cocteau as the Narrator, Peter Ustinov as an impressive Devil and Jean-Marie Fertey as Joseph, the soldier.

IMG_4995.jpeg

Last edited:

Gregm

Mar 14, 2019
France
I second the Cocteau / Ustinov - Markevitch recommendation.
The Chicago Pro Musica ia also nice (not messy, taut).
There is also a recent performance with Horwitz, Isabelle Faust & Friends
1682673884898.png
I don't think it beats Cocteau & Ustinov -- but Faust + Melnikov are very convincingly involved, especially in the Duo Concertant

Reactions: Philip O Hanlon

andi

Apr 9, 2012
Germany
If you can imagine to try one special:
Sting as soldier.....BUT Vanessa Redgrave as the devil.
She is so great!
The EU pressing sounds great, no idea how the US copies will be.
But hej, for 3 to 5 bucks for a nm copy......

If you can imagine to try one special:
Sting as soldier.....BUT Vanessa Redgrave as the devil.
She is so great!
The EU pressing sounds great, no idea how the US copies will be.
But hej, for 3 to 5 bucks for a nm copy......
I bought a NM copy on Discogs for $10, should be fun to listen to, alongside the RR / Pro Musica Chicago version, which I ordered yesterday. Thanks for the heads-up. Philip

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
I bought a NM copy on Discogs for $10, should be fun to listen to, alongside the RR / Pro Musica Chicago version, which I ordered yesterday. Thanks for the heads-up. Philip

The Reference Recordings /Pro Musica Chicago Histoire du Soldat is one of the more holographic and 3D recordings I own. Great performance and an audiophile gem!

The Reference Recordings /Pro Musica Chicago Histoire du Soldat is one of the more holographic and 3D recordings I own. Great performance and an audiophile gem!
I should reach out to The Tape Project & see if there is any chance of getting a copy of this recording on 2 track tape @ 15 IPS; - I heard many of Keith's master tapes played back at Paul Stubblebine's mastering room; amazing sounding. TTP put out some of the RR albums on tape - they sound terrific.

I am certainly interested in comparing the sound quality & performances of the Westminster v Columbia v RR. It's a fun piece of music, that I have enjoyed listening to, over & over again.

View attachment 108481
Last year during one of our music sessions, I was introduced to the Westminster version - Robert Mandell conducting Ars Nova on Westminster WST 14041, this is probably the closest thing to sitting on God’s shoulder, listening to this remarkable music together.

View attachment 108482
Yesterday, I was fortunate enough to be transported back to 1961 to hear Stravinsky conduct a small seven piece ensemble perform this remarkable piece of music. This is not main stream classical music, it's dissonant at times, even quirky but rewarding of extended listening.
You can read my listening notes here. Suffice to say, the original six-eye is of reference sound quality.

View attachment 108483
I ordered this today, so it will be a couple of weeks before I can share listening notes. Recorded in 1986 by Keith Johnson for Reference Recordings, it was released on both 33 and 45 RPM formats. I bought a NM copy of the 45.

In the meantime, if anyone has another reference quality recording / performance that they care to share, I would be much obliged for the heads-up.
Thanks,
Philip
Strav_AST.jpg

I looked at my Stravinsky collection this morning and found this later version of the Soldier's Tale, from 1968, a two-eye Columbia stereo. This version has the Pulcinella ballet on the other side of the album. I will compare this to the 1961 next week - I ordered two NM copies, so I should have one terrific-sounding version. More anon.

Kal Rubinson

May 4, 2010
NYC
www.stereophile.com
The "Westminster version - Robert Mandell conducting" is spectacular but, imho, perhaps too spectacular. I am judging this from the HDTT version.

The Reference Recordings /Pro Musica Chicago is a quite wonderful recording but I find the performance on the staid side.

The Stokowski on Vanguard is a marvelous performance, well recorded (in MCH!), but I prefer to do without the speaking roles.

The Jarvi - Bremen on Pentatone (in excellent MCH!) is the acoustical antithesis of the Mandel with great space and ambiance as well as impact.

I have several others but these are the ones that get most play.

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
If you accept a french spoken version, I would consider my long time preferred Ivan Markevich conducting with Jean Cocteau, Fertey , Ustinov and Tonieti - surely a more vivid version than the Pro-Musica Chicago, with an exceptional group of narrators.

The "Westminster version - Robert Mandell conducting" is spectacular but, imho, perhaps too spectacular. I am judging this from the HDTT version.

The Reference Recordings /Pro Musica Chicago is a quite wonderful recording but I find the performance on the staid side.

The Stokowski on Vanguard is a marvelous performance, well recorded (in MCH!), but I prefer to do without the speaking roles.

The Jarvi - Bremen on Pentatone (in excellent MCH!) is the acoustical antithesis of the Mandel with great space and ambiance as well as impact.

Kal,
Great to hear from you; I hope this finds you well.
I have the HDTT digital file of the Westminster and while I own the mono Reference Lab version, my friend has the stereo LP which is super difficult to find.
My listening panel will enjoy & compare all the different versions with me.

Thanks, Kal for the Järvi reminder, truthfully, I Haven't listened to this in years. But the listening panel (weekly music session) will add this to our selection of different A Soldier's Tale and report back.
Meanwhile, I hope this finds you well.
Warm regards,
Philip

Attachments

• Strav_Ja?rvi.jpg
    Strav_Ja?rvi.jpg
    161.2 KB · Views: 2
May 16, 2021
Seattle, WA
View attachment 108481

View attachment 108482

View attachment 108483

Thanks,
Philip
Rich Brown sent this thread to me, and I can add some hopefully interesting comment. Yes, this must one of the all time great recordings of this piece, and the tape version (Westminster SWB 8003) is easily one of the best 2 track, prerecorded tapes from the 1950s. The "Famous Westminster/Sonotape 1956 Audio Show Demonstration Tape" (SWB-DEM1), claims that it was taped in Carnegie Hall. That's not true according to the late Stanley Drucker (clarinet) who told me it was a studio recording. It would actually be a tad dry for a Carnegie venue, and the dryness seems to lend a palpable sense of immediacy to it. Of course the tape was released before the stereo LP. I have never heard the stereo LP, but would suspect the 2 track tape is audibly better. I bought an AMPEX 351-2 from Wally Heider in 1981, and looked around for some 2 track tapes to play. Serendipitiously, the Seattle, Goodwill had a large collection of Westminster/Sonotapes, many of the them unplayed, for $1.69/each. The Stravinsky was amongst them. The first time I played this tape, I connected the cathode follower output of the tape machine directly to a pair of Marantz 9 amps and a double pair of KLH Nines. It was pretty mind blowing! The guy at HDTT offers a hirez download made from a 15ips safety master that belongs to Rich Brown. The download is excellent. I've A-B'd Rich's 15ips master with the 7.5ips commercial tape and they're closer than I would have expected. I know this is a fairly well-heeled group and anything less than a 15ips/IEC or even a 30ips, 1/2" tape will likely not impress. The 7.5ips/NAB tape does occasionally show up on Ebay, does not bring insane money and is well worth a listen. Enjoy!

Rich Brown sent this thread to me, and I can add some hopefully interesting comment. Yes, this must one of the all time great recordings of this piece, and the tape version (Westminster SWB 8003) is easily one of the best 2 track, prerecorded tapes from the 1950s. The "Famous Westminster/Sonotape 1956 Audio Show Demonstration Tape" (SWB-DEM1), claims that it was taped in Carnegie Hall. That's not true according to the late Stanley Drucker (clarinet) who told me it was a studio recording. It would actually be a tad dry for a Carnegie venue, and the dryness seems to lend a palpable sense of immediacy to it. Of course the tape was released before the stereo LP. I have never heard the stereo LP, but would suspect the 2 track tape is audibly better. I bought an AMPEX 351-2 from Wally Heider in 1981, and looked around for some 2 track tapes to play. Serendipitiously, the Seattle, Goodwill had a large collection of Westminster/Sonotapes, many of the them unplayed, for $1.69/each. The Stravinsky was amongst them. The first time I played this tape, I connected the cathode follower output of the tape machine directly to a pair of Marantz 9 amps and a double pair of KLH Nines. It was pretty mind blowing! The guy at HDTT offers a hirez download made from a 15ips safety master that belongs to Rich Brown. The download is excellent. I've A-B'd Rich's 15ips master with the 7.5ips commercial tape and they're closer than I would have expected. I know this is a fairly well-heeled group and anything less than a 15ips/IEC or even a 30ips, 1/2" tape will likely not impress. The 7.5ips/NAB tape does occasionally show up on Ebay, does not bring insane money and is well worth a listen. Enjoy!
Thanks, Philip,
My listening panel & I have compared the 7 1/2 IPS pre-recorded tape to the stereo LP and while the tape sounded excellent, the LP was noticeably more immediate & vivid. The LP was fuller & richer sounding.
What we have not done yet, is compare the mono to the stereo LP; this will not be a fair comparison, because we will have to use different phono stages, in order to dial in the correct EQ for the mono version, which is prior to RIAA.
I will reach out to Rich Brown & see if I can borrow his 15IPS safety copy.
This is a fun project.
Thanks again,
PhilipO

May 16, 2021
Seattle, WA
Thanks, Philip,
My listening panel & I have compared the 7 1/2 IPS pre-recorded tape to the stereo LP and while the tape sounded excellent, the LP was noticeably more immediate & vivid. The LP was fuller & richer sounding.
What we have not done yet, is compare the mono to the stereo LP; this will not be a fair comparison, because we will have to use different phono stages, in order to dial in the correct EQ for the mono version, which is prior to RIAA.
I will reach out to Rich Brown & see if I can borrow his 15IPS safety copy.
This is a fun project.
Thanks again,
PhilipO
Thanks, Philip! That is surprising to hear that the stereo LP sounds better! I suppose anythng is possible! Let us know how the mono Vs stereo trial turns out. Happy listening!

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing