Store-bought Pizza!

Johnny Vinyl

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
Sometimes I just don't feel like ordering out and wished I had one of those frozen pizzas in my fridge. The problem is I have never tried them....are they any good?

John

Johnny Vinyl

May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
Not sure if you get CPK (California Pizza Kitchen) or Wolfgang Puck frozen pizzas in your neck of the woods John but these are ones my family enjoys

I think I've seen the Wolgang Puck ones over at Loblaws. Will check that out. The Dr.Oekter ones look intriguing too......

John

Johnny Vinyl

May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
Is Loblaws still around John. Heck when I was growing up and still in elementary school back in Toronto we used to joke that the name of the guy who owned Loblaws was "Bob Loblaw"

They're still the #1 grocery retailer in Canada and have many more banners now. Galen Weston finally stepped down and now his son is running it. Competition is fierce, especially with Wal-Mart Supercentres, but they are fighting back and holding their ground. Their "President's Choice" brand of private-label products are highly regarded and this (I think) has played a significant part in their continuing success and loyalty with consumers.

John

Johnny Vinyl

May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
Are Dominion Stores still around?

No! They went through a bunch of different changes over the decades. A&P was the last major player to control them, but they have since left the country. A company called "Metro" out of Quebec bought the assets from A&P about a year or so and eliminated the Dominon banner....they are now all called METRO.

If you remember IGA (which was owned by Oshawa Foods) they are long gone as well. "Sobey's" out of Stellarton, NS bought them lock, stock and barrel years and they are now a pretty big player in our market.

John

Johnny Vinyl

May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
You were a step ahead of me because I was also remembering IGA as well as A&P

Here's a look at the grocery market in the Toronto area:

Loblaws Stores (Ontario-based)
Metro Stores (Quebec-based)
Sobey Stores (Nova Scotia-based)
Costco Wholesale (U.S.-based)
Wal-Mart Superstore (U.S.-based)

Food Basics (Metro discount banner)
No-Frills (Loblaws discount banner)
FreshCo - formerly Price Chopper (Sobey's discount banner)

John

EDIT: Sam's Club left the country last year...they entered our market too late and Costco had the consumer loyalty

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
Here is another thought. Next time you order fresh Pizza, freeze some of it! Simply wrap them tightly in aluminum foil and throw them in the freezer. They keep for months that way, and are better than any of the pre-made ones. OK, let me add a caveat. We do this with Pizza that we make in our oven. Even ones 4+ months old taste extremely good.

I heat them up by zapping them in the microwave for 30-40 seconds and then finishing in toaster oven to crisp up the bottom (with aluminum foil under it so clean up is easy).

Johnny Vinyl

May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
Here is another thought. Next time you order fresh Pizza, freeze some of it! Simply wrap them tightly in aluminum foil and throw them in the freezer. They keep for months that way, and are better than any of the pre-made ones. OK, let me add a caveat. We do this with Pizza that we make in our oven. Even ones 4+ months old taste extremely good.

I heat them up by zapping them in the microwave for 30-40 seconds and then finishing in toaster oven to crisp up the bottom (with aluminum foil under it so clean up is easy).

Cool! Never tried that as usually I finish my pizza in the morning (love cold pizza for breakfast), but that's a great idea! Thanks!

John

flez007

Member Sponsor
Aug 31, 2010
Mexico City
I have found them as a good option but throwing in some additional fresh ingredients, like additional mozzarela, salami/prosciutto and cook them in electric/gas oven, never in microwave.

Johnny Vinyl

May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
Bought a Kraft Delissio Garlic Bread Pizza...gonna have it for dinner.:):eek: We'll see how it turns out.

John

Johnny Vinyl

May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
Bought a Kraft Delissio Garlic Bread Pizza...gonna have it for dinner.:):eek: We'll see how it turns out.

John

Wow! I'm impressed! Tons of garlic and not too much sauce with just the right amount of cheese. All I did was add some fresh ground S&P and I was good to go. Will try a cold slice for breakfast!

John

RBFC

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Albuquerque, NM
www.fightingconcepts.com
In between, there's Costco pizza. Pre-made, but uncooked, we enjoy it once a month or so. Another "half-way" pizza is Papa Murphy's. They're a franchise here, and possibly near you as well. They build pizzas for you to cook, and have a huge number of options.

Lee

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing