Standing in the Shadow of MoTown

Bill Hart

May 11, 2012
A friend had urged us to see this documentary, after I told her about the Wrecking Crew (and the film that never seemed to get completed). Standing in the Shadow... is about the session guys that made the MoTown sound. You can stream it for 3 bucks in HD on Amazon. Watch it. You'll love it. James Jamerson was an amazing bassist, and some of the stories about the band, in its different iterations, are quite funny.
Some current artists appear as vocalists. The studio itself is tiny, much like Sun in Memphis. When you realize the hits these guys were cranking out, for the likes of Jackie Wilson, back before the Beatles were even on the scene, you know they had it in their bones. There's a pretty funny anecdote that all of us should relate to, about how everybody tried to explain why the records these guys did worked: the studio, the producer, the engineer, the room, etc. One of 'em: " They even said it was the food. I'd like to see 'em throw some ribs in that studio and crank out a hit."
A must watch. As usual I was late to this party.....

mep

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Is this the same documentary that shows the session guys hiding out inside of a funeral parlor?

Bill Hart

May 11, 2012
That must have happened when i went to the bathroom :) Not that I saw.
This film was really touching. Reminds you who counts in what we listen to and it's often the unsung heros behind the scenes. I'm going to read the book it was based on because i got the impression it was really a bio of Jamerson, who had a legendary style as a bass player. They showed a scene where Marvin Gaye wanted him for 'What's Goin' On,' but Jamerson was so drunk (he died of cirrhosis at age 47) that he couldn't sit on the stool in the studio. He played the track lying on his back.
These guys were musician's musicians. Hitmen.
One of the guitarists had been a studio musician for the Soupy Sales TV show in the 50's and they showed an excerpt of him playing horn bop parts on the guitar. In their spare time, they played jazz with some serious, well known players but created the sound we think of as 60' R&B, which crossed-over to white audiences in a big way at the same time the British Invasion was taking rock and roll and turning it into something new. You can hear the clear overlap between the songs- some of the material is the same.
This was a wonderful tribute to them without being hokey, lot's of good performances, Joan Osborne, Ben Harper, Chaka Khan, among others, filled in for Smokey Robinson, the Supremes, and the other top line talent that was given the juice by these behind the scenes artists.Highly recommended.

GolfnAudio

Feb 21, 2013
Great film!
Did you like The Wrecking crew one too? I had a chance to see it, and enjoyed it thoroughly!

Bill Hart

May 11, 2012
Golf, i only saw authorized excerpts when they were looking for funding. I didn't know the film was completed. Was it screened recently? I knew that Tommy Tedesco's son was putting it together....

GolfnAudio

Feb 21, 2013
whart, I saw a pretty lengthy screener in LA last year- I would say it was at least an hour and a half long. It sure felt like a full movie. I think they're still looking for sponsors to add more material.
Golf, i only saw authorized excerpts when they were looking for funding. I didn't know the film was completed. Was it screened recently? I knew that Tommy Tedesco's son was putting it together....

sleepysurf

Sep 8, 2010

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing