Spectral vs. Threshold phono sections: Does one sound better than the other?

Audiohertz2

Jun 8, 2023
Hi all.

So I own a Spectral DMC-6. I put some shots of somebody else's up in American Audiophile's great review of it. I LOVE this preamp. They can be had for about $650-$800 on the used market. Anyway, being the owner of a threshold Dac-1E, and three Threshold S-300's, I am also a huge fan of vintage Threshold gear. So here is my question: I am thinking of buying a threshold Fet-9 (complete preamp with phono included) or a Fet-10 phono (the older, slightly taller version with of phono only, and smaller power supply - about two inches tall) or maybe even a Fet-10E which is the slimmer, newer phono which includes the balanced outputs, and a more robust supply, like my Dac-1E has.

So my question is, has anybody compared or owned any of these preamps, and if so, what are your thoughts about comparing their sonics? I pilfered a bunch of Spectral internal shots off of the internet, and it really looks like the DMC-6 is about the same phono as the DMC-10, and DMC-12. They are very close in the way that they look. The DMC-20, which I ache for, is buried in circuitry, so I couldn't tell much. LOL

I noticed that the one advantage that the Threshold gear has, is you can also adjust the capacitance. Here is the rub on that though: I read that capacitance is only good for moving magnet cartridges, while I thought it would benefit MC carts more. Is that true?

The first shot is the Threshold Fet-9 high level with phono. The second shot is the Spectral DMC-6 series 2 which also has high level with phono.

Let me know what your ears have told you!:confused:

Dave

Plenty Threshold experience , the FET9e is a pretty decent pre amp and phono combo, on MM its pretty good , not a fan of the sound on MC carts , in reality all MC are better when used thru and SUT imo ..!

Never Compared one to Spectral ..!

Reactions: DasguteOhr

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing