Spectral DMA200 bi- amping ?

msm_1

Jun 20, 2010
Hi

I have a Rogue Magnum 99 Pre, a Spectral DMA-200, a VPI Scout with a Koetsu Black, a Classe CD/DVD1 used as a transport with a Classe DAC-1, a Sony cdp-x777es and a Nackamichi Dragon, and a Rotel 1040 Line Conditioner.

I have a 2nd Spectral DMA-200 and am seriously considering bi-amping the pair.

Any ideas as to what I may expect or please give ideas or recommendations?

I'm glad to have found this forum, and glad to be a member

Thanks

Mike

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
Hi

I have a Rogue Magnum 99 Pre, a Spectral DMA-200, a VPI Scout with a Koetsu Black, a Classe CD/DVD1 used as a transport with a Classe DAC-1, a Sony cdp-x777es and a Nackamichi Dragon, and a Rotel 1040 Line Conditioner.

I have a 2nd Spectral DMA-200 and am seriously considering bi-amping the pair.

Any ideas as to what I may expect or please give ideas or recommendations?

I'm glad to have found this forum, and glad to be a member

Thanks

Mike

What speakers are you using?

ack

VIP/Donor & WBF Founding Member
May 6, 2010
Boston, MA
You should probably expect a more effortless presentation. I believe this is the only pure Class-A amp Spectral has made to date??? Also, since I also used to have a Classe DAC-1 long ago, I can comfortably tell you newer technologies eclipse it in performance.

msm_1

Jun 20, 2010
Thanks....I think the Spectral DMA-100 was a Class A as well. I haven't see my first hydro bill yet, but each DMA-200 eats 1200 watts at idle ( not sure when driving ).

I know the DAC-1 is getting older and have been looking at the new Simaudio Dac and may try one out within the next month.

I'm currently checking out different Pre's that have 2 main balanced outputs so I can hookup my 200's that way. ( possibly a Balanced Audio model )

Thanks

Mike

mullard88

Jun 5, 2010
Hi Mike,

I used to own a DMA 200 but never had two units to use in bi-amp mode. However, about 15 or 16 years ago, I had the privilege to listen to a pair of Entec ribbons bi-amped with two units of Spectral DMA 200 power amps. Etched in my memory was the incredible amount of ambience retrieval the system was able to generate. It was so much that I could hear and feel the ambience bloom all the way between the speakers and my seat. There was also the feel of how the music "surfed" through the ambient field on it's way to my seat.

You should proceed with your intentions on bi-amping your Von Schwiekert VR 4 asap. Off my mind, I would either put a crossover unit between the preamp and power amps or make a balanced Y connector to have the preamp balanced output tap drive both DMA 200 amps at the same time.

I believe the DMA 100 is also a class A amp. My DMA 100 must be more than 20 years old and still works perfectly whenever I insert it into my system.

I hope you post your impressions once you bi-amp your speakers using the two DMA 200 amps. Have fun.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing