Spectral DMA 180/s 2 and Eggleston Andra 2

Wiros

Mar 19, 2013
Netherlands
Salve

I am looking for advise for buying second hand Eggleston Andra 2 and my Spectral DMA 180/s2 poweramp.The pre is a Spectral DMC 30s.

My question is wether the Eggleston Andra 2 will match with the Spectral gear. Source is a Audio Research CD5.

Thanks for your inputs.

Wim

Last edited:

Wiros

Mar 19, 2013
Netherlands
Salve

I am looking for advise for buying second hand Eggleston Andra 2 and my Spectral DMA 180/s2 poweramp.The pre is a Spectral DMC 30s.

My question is wether the Eggleston Andra 2 will match with the Spectral gear. Source is a Audio Research CD5.

Thanks for your inputs.

Wim

No inputs :(

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
No inputs :(

Hi Wim,

have no experience with either...the only think I have read numerous times is about the Eggleston Ivy. Specifically that it is a beast to drive, and a very high current amp is required. Thus, my only suggestion is to speak with your dealer or do a little reading about the impedance loads (not just nominal but the entire frequency spectrum) including 'phase angles' which as I understand can make things tougher as well to drive...and see if the Andra 2 are also difficult to drive. If it is a beast to drive as well, you may then need to do some reading on whether the Spectrals are up for that kind of load.

The only setup with Ivy's I recall (cannot recall what Bob Ludwig uses in his studio with Ivy's)...the owner was using FM Acoustics 1811 monos. He has also had CJ LP275s but as I understand he kept the FMA1811s and the CJ GAT (along with FMA 268 pre), but may not have kept the CJ LP275s.

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Found it...bob Ludwig uses "bridged Cello Performance Mark II amplifiers" with his 790 pound Ivy's. Quote from interview with Bob Ludwig talking about his Ivy's and driving them:

"...The upper surface is solid granite. For powering the speakers, I use two bridged Cello Mark II amplifiers. One is connected to the positive pole of the speaker, and one is connected to the negative. We did this to increase the slew rate, which is the speaker's ability to reproduce high transients. In our case, we have 4,000W, although I don't think we are ever going to be listening that loud!..."

Last edited:

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
Hi Wim,

Your 180s should do just fine. The Andra II is a much easier load than the I. Nominal impedance is 6 ohms and the low point is about 4 ohms. The XOs have zobels in parallel to help keep the impedance relatively flat. I've heard these driven by comparably spec'd amps at 8 and 4 ohms with no problems.

HTH

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing