Software to clean up mpeg4 files

BlueFox

Member Sponsor
Nov 8, 2013
Being into audio, a co-worker asked me today what software would be good to clean up (remove noise) four mpeg4 files from a lecture, and then merge them into one file. Naturally, this is one area where I have zero experience. :)

Any recommendations I can pass on. Thanks.

Fiddle Faddle

Aug 7, 2015
Australia
Not really no. To do what you mentioned would require an audio workstation. Though this could just be a PC with editing software such as Sound Forge Pro for example. Well, at least I mean that is the way I do it and I would not attempt any other way even if there was one. The files would need to be converted to an editable format such as PCM, then edited to remove the noise (which in itself may be anything from a simple process to a very complex one requiring a lot of experience). Then the edited files are concatenated within the software then converted back to whatever format is required (in this case the original one).

I'm not aware of any "quick fix" method to do what you want. It requires expensive software and possibly a lot of experience depending on the noise components that have to be removed. It could also be incredibly time consuming again depending on the nature of the noise.

Bruce B

WBF Founding Member, Pro Audio Production Member
Apr 25, 2010
Snohomish, WA
www.pugetsoundstudios.com
Not really no. To do what you mentioned would require an audio workstation. Though this could just be a PC with editing software such as Sound Forge Pro for example. Well, at least I mean that is the way I do it and I would not attempt any other way even if there was one. The files would need to be converted to an editable format such as PCM, then edited to remove the noise (which in itself may be anything from a simple process to a very complex one requiring a lot of experience). Then the edited files are concatenated within the software then converted back to whatever format is required (in this case the original one).

I'm not aware of any "quick fix" method to do what you want. It requires expensive software and possibly a lot of experience depending on the noise components that have to be removed. It could also be incredibly time consuming again depending on the nature of the noise.

+1... correct. We use either Sound Forge or Sony Vegas.

BlueFox

Member Sponsor
Nov 8, 2013
Thank you.

Mosin

[Industry Expert]
Mar 11, 2012
There was a program for ripping called Audiograbber. It is abandonware now, so downloads are free. Fortunately, it will work on more modern Windows based operating systems. I mention it because the program had an optional noise removal plugin made by Algorithmix that was very inexpensive.

The plugin allowed for correction before the audio was processed. It worked sort of like a tape monitor switch. The user could tweak various parameters to get the best out of the software without losing the desired audio. For the few remaining artifacts, Soundforge could be used on the processed file. Maybe an inquiry will get you the plugin.

If it still exists, this may be a halfway decent solution to your problem. It's a thought, anyway.

EDIT: I assume you are going to strip the audio from the mpeg4? My idea won't work with video files.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing