Software for transcribing vinyl to digital!

Johnny Vinyl

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
Frantz' TT thread gave me the idea that a specific thread on how to most effectively transscribe our vinyl content into the digital domain would be a useful one. I did it years ago on the cheap with a product called the Xitel INport and supplied software (which I paid to upgrade to a full version). It was by an Australian company called CFB Software and it worked ok, but was far from perfect. I will say their customer support was truly outstanding.

I'm sure that several of you are using better software, and if possible, could those guys perhaps provide us with their opinions on the software they use? Cost?

FrantzM

Apr 20, 2010
Much needed info on the subject.. While Google is a good friend experiences and advices from like-minded people are a better guide...

Thanks John!

Johnny Vinyl

May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
The least expensive - Audacity

What I use - Sonoma

Perhaps Audicity is better now as when I used it about 10 years ago....meh....not so good then. I'll check into both though! Thanks Bruce!

Bruce B

WBF Founding Member, Pro Audio Production Member
Apr 25, 2010
Snohomish, WA
www.pugetsoundstudios.com
Perhaps Audicity is better now as when I used it about 10 years ago....meh....not so good then. I'll check into both though! Thanks Bruce!

For a nice professional editing software that won't break the bank, I'd suggest Sony SoundForge. It has a great set of tools for editing vinyl, like de-click/de-pop.

Sonoma is going to start at $8k and go up!

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
Re: Sonoma

Is that just the software or are quality I/Os included Bruce?

Bruce B

WBF Founding Member, Pro Audio Production Member
Apr 25, 2010
Snohomish, WA
www.pugetsoundstudios.com
Re: Sonoma

Is that just the software or are quality I/Os included Bruce?

Sonoma is a PCI card (each up to 8 channels), software and a dongle.

The A-D and D-A are each sold separately! Batteries not included!!

Johnny Vinyl

May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
For a nice professional editing software that won't break the bank, I'd suggest Sony SoundForge. It has a great set of tools for editing vinyl, like de-click/de-pop.

Sonoma is going to start at $8k and go up!

I always forget about Sony SoundForge....will definitely check it out. As for Sonoma....ouch! Thanks again Bruce!

Thomas.Dennehy

Jan 5, 2012
Bloomfield Hills MI
For my money, Audacity fails at the front end and again at the back end of the vinyl-to-digital transfer process if you are gunning for 24/96 resolution and WAV is your output format of choice. (And I speak from experience, with more than 250 titles under my belt.)

At the front end, Audacity is unable to capture 24-bit samples on Windows, even if your audio input device can. They can't use the necessary ASIO package from Steinberg/Yamaha and remain open source. Theoretically, any particular user can download the Audacity source, download the Steinberg SDK, and build a personal version of Audacity (not for re-distribution) that supports 24-bit recording. But the Audacity team believes you need professional-quality SW development tools to pull it off (not the free stuff you can download from Microsoft). I still might attempt it.

But ... at the back end, Audacity fails by not writing full metadata into WAV files. In particular, they omit Album Title and Track #. So all the tracks you export from Audacity create a massive Unknown Album pile on any media player I've tested (WMP, JRiver, foobar). And a solution inside any particular player doesn't port to any other. The Audacity team has admitted they could remedy this, but it isn't high on their priority list of bug fixes and new features.

I would welcome advice. Does anyone know of scripts or tools for tag editing via dbpoweramp?

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing