So is a new digital archive of a master tape a "Remaster"?

Andre Marc

Member Sponsor
Mar 14, 2012
San Diego
www.avrev.com
So is a new digital archive of a master tape a "Remaster"?

If the only thing done is to recapture the original master, whatever format, in today's standard high resolution digital, with no EQ, compression,
or noise reduction is applied, then released, is it a remaster?

Bruce B

WBF Founding Member, Pro Audio Production Member
Apr 25, 2010
Snohomish, WA
www.pugetsoundstudios.com
Technically yes. By your choice of converters, cables and everything in the signal chain, you are creating a different sound.

Andre Marc

Member Sponsor
Mar 14, 2012
San Diego
www.avrev.com
Technically yes. By your choice of converters, cables and everything in the signal chain, you are creating a different sound.

Interesting. Thanks. But since cables, converters, and everything else is better than when CDs first came around, I would
suspect you would have a more transparent product.

Mobile Fidelity's biggest claim to fame is that they had the shortest possible signal path, no compression, or EQ. I am
talking about the original MoFi.

The new MoFi definitely is liberal with the EQ.

Bruce B

Apr 25, 2010
Snohomish, WA
When I do tape transfers, I'm talking straight 1:1 transfer, I use multiple converters, output pres and such. The differences are much more pronounced than you might think. Just ask David Wilson. We did his tape transfers with 6 different options.

Andre Marc

Member Sponsor
Mar 14, 2012
San Diego
www.avrev.com
Wow. The results can vary THAT much? I guess it comes down to making a choice as to which archive
is the best compromise so to speak.

Did you end up using DSD for the Wilson tapes?

Bruce B

Apr 25, 2010
Snohomish, WA
Wow. The results can vary THAT much? I guess it comes down to making a choice as to which archive
is the best compromise so to speak.

Did you end up using DSD for the Wilson tapes?

That's why we put the files up on the server blindly and let the customer choose which they like the most. After they choose, then we tell them what converters and such were used as not to create an expectation bias.

The Wilson's ultimately chose DSD files using the EMM Labs ADC8 IV through modified Studer electronics with Flux heads. Goes to show you not everyone likes the Grimm, MSB Tech, Weiss, DAD or Korg.....

Andre Marc

Member Sponsor
Mar 14, 2012
San Diego
www.avrev.com
That's why we put the files up on the server blindly and let the customer choose which they like the most. After they choose, then we tell them what converters and such were used as not to create an expectation bias.

The Wilson's ultimately chose DSD files using the EMM Labs ADC8 IV through modified Studer electronics with Flux heads. Goes to show you not everyone likes the Grimm, MSB Tech, Weiss, DAD or Korg.....

Very clever way to do it. Removes all preconceived notions about the hardware and forces them to choose the best sound.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing