Snoop's system

treitz3

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 25, 2011
The tube lair in beautiful Rock Hill, SC
Hello, Vance. If you do not mind me asking, what tube compliments do you have with the pre(s) [preamplifier and phono] as well as the CDP and do you feel as if you have reached nirvana with that tube set yet or are you perhaps still looking?

Tom

Snoop65

Apr 19, 2012
A galaxy far far away
Thank you Amirm! I didn't plan to have matching components it just ended up that way over time. Before the Sunfire preamp I had a Counterpoint SA-5000 and before the Carver cd player I had a Denon, a Sony and a Adcom. Now for Tom's question about tubes I have three Amperex PQ 6922's in the linestage, 2 Telefunken 12AX7 smooth plate and 1 Amperex Bugle Boy 6DJ8 in the moving magnet section of the phonstage and 3 Sovtek 6922 in the moving coil section (just to fill the sockets my Grado Reference Master 1 cartridge is moving magnet). My cd player uses two Amperex orange globe 6DJ8's. As for nirvana yes I am quite pleased. In my phonostage though I am split between the Telefunkens and the Sylvania triple mica black plate 5751's (thanks again Tom). They both offer something different but very pleasing.

flez007

Member Sponsor
Aug 31, 2010
Mexico City
I have always liked the JBL sound, particullary the iconic models like the L100, L65 or L300, particullary playing pop and rick music.

Snoop65

Apr 19, 2012
A galaxy far far away
I have always liked the JBL sound, particullary the iconic models like the L100, L65 or L300, particullary playing pop and rick music.

Yes me too! These sound quite different from the classic JBL's though. Before I got the XPL-200's I had a set of L100t3's and there is no comparison. The XPL's generate a serious soundstage with really nice depth while maintaining the classic JBL strengths. Its one of those speakers that slipped through the cracks. Nobody realized how good they are.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing