Shunyata DF-SS cable suspension

stevelgbch

Aug 18, 2013
Long Beach, CA
Steve, did you come to a conclusion on the new Shunyata cable suspension system? I've been thinking about a purchase. Wondering if they will be much better than the older system I already have? BTW, borrowing the Sigma HC and digital from The Cable Company.

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
Steve

first off when are you going to visit. Are you Long Beach or Laguna Beach or am I mistaken from your username

To answer your question re the new DF-SS, I have had them in for a while now and I truly like them as there is a science and reason behind their build. Definitely worth the investment. Is it magnitudes greater than the original DF, unlikely. Once you see your cables on them you really quickly understand the science behind these

stevelgbch

Aug 18, 2013
Long Beach, CA
I'm in Long Beach. Probably won't make it to your neck of the woods anytime soon.

When the DFs were listed at $195 for three, it seemed reasonable. When I called Shunyata today they said they were really $ 295, a price correction, ($100 apiece), then I wondered how good they might be. (They are reduced on Music Direct to $239. Hmm, why am I so concerned about the price when I'm willing to spend thousands on cables, SIGH). Anyway, thanks.

MtnHam

Industry Expert
Jan 12, 2014
Nothern California Wine Country
IMO, cable lifters provide a very subtle but real positive effect, slightly more so when the floor is carpeted. What you use, as long as it does't resonate, matters little. I have been using a DIY approach ($0.20ea) for many years, and believe it is worth the effort. Spending big $'s is a waste, unless it somehow strokes your ego.

Joe Whip

Feb 8, 2014
Wayne, PA
I use a DIY approach also, CD jewel cases. I don't do it for the sound, but to reduce the strain on the wire as they are attached to the terminals on the back of the speakers. The terminals are half the up up on the back of the speaker. Using 3 cases for each channel means that there is no tension on the wire and I can get away with less wire as a bonus. I am not going to spend $400 for 6 off these contraptions. If Shunyata wants to send them to me for evaluation, I will try them and report my findings. Until then, I will stick with the jewel cases.

MtnHam

Industry Expert
Jan 12, 2014
Nothern California Wine Country
I use a DIY approach also, CD jewel cases. I don't do it for the sound, but to reduce the strain on the wire as they are attached to the terminals on the back of the speakers. The terminals are half the up up on the back of the speaker. Using 3 cases for each channel means that there is no tension on the wire and I can get away with less wire as a bonus. I am not going to spend $400 for 6 off these contraptions. If Shunyata wants to send them to me for evaluation, I will try them and report my findings. Until then, I will stick with the jewel cases.
The possible problem with something like a jewel case is it may resonate with the music in the room, and then pass that energy back into the component with negative consequences.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing