Show us your cable management system

SCAudiophile

Sep 11, 2010
Greer South Carolina (USA)
Do ground cables benefit from being elevated off the floor?
I don't know. I am doing this for purely organizational purposes.

Reactions: wil

Kingrex

Feb 3, 2019
I see it more as.

If you have synthetic carpet and static, the cable can be affected.

Its possible some cables could be more or less reactive to vibrations. So is the cable support a dampening device. Or is it lifting the cable off a floor that is vibrating.

Does the support reduce tension or kinks.

My PAP speakers have a crossover you can mount anywhere. When it was attached to the speaker frame of which the light metal frame rattles severly, it was easy to hear the smearing and blurr the physical vibrations imparted into the crossover. So I'm confident vibration can be a factor. Mind you, touching the frame of the speaker you notice severe vibration. Its not like putting you hand on a floor and maybe feeling something when subs are firing onto them.

Geoffkait

Feb 2, 2024
Falls Church, Va
Another very good reason to use elevators for cables and cords is, if you have any vibration isolators, one should ideally elevate the cables and cords to eliminate any force they might exert on the iso system. Any external forces degrade the isolation effectiveness considerable. The top must be free to move easily and without contraint.

Reactions: SCAudiophile

Kingrex

Feb 3, 2019
Another very good reason to use elevators for cables and cords is, if you have any vibration isolators, one should ideally elevate the cables and cords to eliminate any force they might exert on the iso system. Any external forces degrade the isolation effectiveness considerable. The top must be free to move easily and without contraint.
This is very true with my STST Motus II TT. It has a sprung suspension and a hanging cable will drag on it.
To your overall point, cables dragging off anything can affect the vibration of the equipment itself. I generally see this more with cables on a rack that are hanging. I don't usually see cables on floors putting undo tension on gear. One member has his amps on Herzan stands so his cables are elevated to maintain a very neutral attachment so as to not unduly affect the way the stand reduces vibration.

engadin

Apr 23, 2022
You can connect an oszilloscope to a metal baking tray suspended above the floor.
Next lower the tray towards the floor.
You will measure and see an increase of noise in the scope.

Some chap here tried that to prove that raising cables from the floor does have a measurable impact.
Not only in mechanical ways.

I would be surprised if this would not affect ground cables.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing