should i sell my S3MK2?!?!

Al M.

VIP/Donor
Sep 10, 2013
Greater Boston
I recently move from Magico S1 Mk2 to a much bigger speaker similar to M6 in a room with exact dimension like yours. In my opinion, you are missing out a lot.

It is your opinion, that's fine. My experiences, as well as sonic preferences, are different.

And by the way, are you talking about a Magico S1 Mk2 without sub? Yeah, then I'd be missing a lot too in my room. (Regardless of sub, the S1 original version couldn't even compete with my old monitors, can't speak for the Mk2.)

Last edited:

Hieukm

Oct 2, 2016
It is your opinion, that's fine. My experiences, as well as sonic preferences, are different.

And by the way, are you talking about a Magico S1 Mk2 without sub? Yeah, then I'd be missing a lot too in my room. (Regardless of sub, the S1 original version couldn't even compete with my old monitors, can't speak for the Mk2.)

What i essentially meant was if budget contrains cast aside then I would love to know who else would pick your monitors + sub versus M3/M6 (or similar speaker) in your room size.

marty

Apr 20, 2010
United States
i wonder why you are omitting the other obvious choice, the S5MkII? I have heard that speaker in a small room (Myles Astor) to stunning effect. Using CJ tube amps, I had to look around to make sure he wasn't hiding subwoofers. I have also heard the speakers at Rhapsody in NYC and was equally impressed (even more so than the S7s). I think they are not only the king of value in the S line, but the finest speaker I have heard at their price point, and by far. A truly beautiful loudspeaker.

Al M.

VIP/Donor
Sep 10, 2013
Greater Boston
What i essentially meant was if budget contrains cast aside then I would love to know who else would pick your monitors + sub versus M3/M6 (or similar speaker) in your room size.

Perhaps a visit to my room might influence opinions in my direction ;). You have already made your choice, but you are more than welcome to listen to my system when you are in my area. You might be surprised about what you hear.

In a very large room, and particularly for large-scale music, I'd still like a Magico M6.

Al M.

VIP/Donor
Sep 10, 2013
Greater Boston
i wonder why you are omitting the other obvious choice, the S5MkII? I have heard that speaker in a small room (Myles Astor) to stunning effect. Using CJ tube amps, I had to look around to make sure he wasn't hiding subwoofers. I have also heard the speakers at Rhapsody in NYC and was equally impressed (even more so than the S7s). I think they are not only the king of value in the S line, but the finest speaker I have heard at their price point, and by far. A truly beautiful loudspeaker.

Myles's room, while not being particularly large, is much bigger than the room Byrdparis has.

andromedaaudio

VIP/Donor
Jan 23, 2011
Amsterdam holland
I agree with marty (imo the Q 3 is not a well balanced LS ) , the S 5 is much better in that regard, may be thats why they give such good deals on the Q 3 lol

Ps i ve heard the Q 3 once but that was my impression , i ve heard the S5 mk 1 and 2 on multiple occasions , very nice on tubes , just like all magicos ive heard

dcc

VIP/Donor
Nov 4, 2012
Continental Europe -

I've been to Myles' place and I can confirm about the S5 MKII but here we are talking about a room twice smaller. I can't imagine a pair of S5 MKII in a 10 square meter room.

Last edited:

PeterA

Dec 6, 2011
USA

With budget constraints cast aside, I think Al M. admitted his dream speaker in his room would be the M6, so I think he would agree with you, though perhaps he would not think that the M6 would disappear as well as his monitors do. Having heard his system in his room many times, but only having heard the M Pro and not the M3 or M6, I think that I would prefer a Magico M series full range in his excellent room over his current mini/sub system. In fact with the right amplification, an M series in his room should sound amazing.

Al M.

VIP/Donor
Sep 10, 2013
Greater Boston
With budget constraints cast aside, I think Al M. admitted his dream speaker in his room would be the M6, so I think he would agree with you, though perhaps he would not think that the M6 would disappear as well as his monitors do. Having heard his system in his room many times, but only having heard the M Pro and not the M3 or M6, I think that I would prefer a Magico M series full range in his excellent room over his current mini/sub system. In fact with the right amplification, an M series in his room should sound amazing.

You must have misunderstood me, Peter. In my room I consider neither an M6 nor an M3 my dream speaker. While others' tastes may differ, it is a extreme priority for me personally (and at least when it comes to my own system) that a speaker completely disappears from the soundstage as a monitor can *), and I don't think in my room even an M3 can do that. In a much larger room, and with no budget constraints, I'd like to have a Magico M6.

*) people who haven't heard a great monitor system in a proper room will not even know what I am talking about (you know, of course; I hear the same in your system)

Last edited:

ack

VIP/Donor & WBF Founding Member
May 6, 2010
Boston, MA

+1 on the S5II, Myles’ system and especially the less impressive S7, but it also seems to me this room is to small for any one of them

PeterA

Dec 6, 2011
USA
You must have misunderstood me, Peter. In my room I consider neither an M6 nor an M3 my dream speaker. While others' tastes may differ, it is a extreme priority for me personally (and at least when it comes to my own system) that a speaker completely disappears from the soundstage as a monitor can, and I don't think in my room even an M3 can do that. In a much larger room, and with no budget constraints, I'd like to have a Magico M6.

Sorry, Al, it seems I did. Thanks for pointing that out. I thought you were under the impression that your room could support an M3 or M6. The M3 is not very big and you have a pretty big room, so I imagine it would sound great, but I don't really know. Do you consider the disappearing act of a monitor to be more important to your sonic priorities than the possible improvements the fuller range M3 or even M6 could bring to the overall sound over your Ref 3A monitors plus sub?

Al M.

VIP/Donor
Sep 10, 2013
Greater Boston
Sorry, Al, it seems I did. Thanks for pointing that out.

No problem.

I thought you were under the impression that your room could support an M3 or M6.

No, you were ;).

Do you consider the disappearing act of a monitor to be more important to your sonic priorities than the possible improvements the fuller range M3 or even M6 could bring to the overall sound over your Ref 3A monitors plus sub?

1) The disappearing act is crucial to my illusion as a listener of being in the event.
2) I see less advantages of full range speakers in medium sized rooms than you apparently do, as I also gather from our private discussions (even though there still are some advantages). A large room is a different story. Monitors don't stand a chance there, but then, any old 'full range' speaker won't suffice there either, it has to be one that can effortlessly pressurize the room.

andromedaaudio

VIP/Donor
Jan 23, 2011
Amsterdam holland
I've been to Myles' place and I can confirm about the S5 MKII but here we are talking about a room twice smaller. I can't imagine a pair of S5 MKII in a 10 square meter room.

Why not choose a smaller listening chair :p, but if you live in hong kong or something like that , real estate price can be skyhigh:D

Pb Blimp

Oct 30, 2017
USA
If I were you and could not change rooms I might consider getting some professional help with my room's acoustics first.

If you get diffraction and absorption at the right locations you can synthetically turn the behaviour of a small room into a much larger room. This is easier at the high frequencies because absorption is easier but in a small room you can deaden a lot of the excessive reflection and use a near field listening setup with exceptional results. I recommend you work with a good acoustician with computer modeling software to get this right but you might be astounded with the results. And, it will be a fraction of the cost of the other options offered here.

Think about it this way: absorption at reflection points makes that dimension in your room infinite for the frequencies absorbed. A huge room is a dead room; a small room is a live room; absorption brings them together and then you can add the right amount of diffraction to remove the ringing without killing the liviliness too much.

The lower frequencies are a whole different problem exacerbated by the room modes being at higher frequencies in the audio band because of the modes shorter wavelengths in a small room but this too can be mitigated with things like RPG bass plates and helmholtz traps. Best investment I have ever made.

The revelation to me was that in a large room the speakers play the music but in a small room the speakers play the room which plays the music. Your speaker choice is not the issue.

Narayan

Oct 6, 2015
Hi,
thanks for sharing some...

Jack, i guess you right, but i hate the fact i will need to spill 50K$ now for a speaker is out my room league.
and for now, i think its safe to say i will be in my room for the foreseeing future.

regrading my room dimension.
it is VERY SMALL!!!
2.2m X 4.3m
it was heavily acoustic treated and its a magical intimate and wonderful sound room. but i dont think its enough for a 74K$ speaker room...

anyway, i think i was miss understood in my post.
i guess the q3\M3 will work in my room at least or in the ball park of how the S3MK2 play in my room so -
im not so afraid from the result of a heavy bass (i am a little worry about the Q3 highs though, to be much more "in your face" from the S3...and for what i remember the Q3 had less deep bass as the S3MK2 have. but more anergy on the lower octave for sure) ) in my room

bottom line -i guess what i'm asking is :
will you prefer the Q3 over the S3MK2?
and if you own a s3mk2 speakers - would you trade it for a Q3 if you got a chance like i having now?! (speaker for speaker)
(lets keep it hypothetic with no room equation in the math) .

thanks.

If you want good advice we should keep it real and factor your room into the equation, anything else is pure speculation and at the price points you mention (M3) you need to work and make decisions with a level of utmost certainty. Given your current situation and love for the S3´s my first thought would be to not move a finger, if you absolutely must, and given the fact you´ve had large (for your room) speakers before, I´d consider a good pair of monitors and some subs just so you get a chance to experience that type of sound and see if it adapts to your room and personal tastes.

DaveyF

Jul 31, 2010
La Jolla, Calif USA
If you want good advice we should keep it real and factor your room into the equation, anything else is pure speculation and at the price points you mention (M3) you need to work and make decisions with a level of utmost certainty. Given your current situation and love for the S3´s my first thought would be to not move a finger, if you absolutely must, and given the fact you´ve had large (for your room) speakers before, I´d consider a good pair of monitors and some subs just so you get a chance to experience that type of sound and see if it adapts to your room and personal tastes.

+1

One of the biggest mistakes that most a'philes make in this hobby is trying to jam a speaker that is too large for the room into the space available. It's truly horses for courses. If your Magico S3's work...I would leave them alone and look at other areas of the system that can be improved ( there's always something that can be improved upstream). While the big sexy speaker is always a temptation, it is rarely the way to go in a small room, IMHO.

Al M.

VIP/Donor
Sep 10, 2013
Greater Boston
One of the biggest mistakes that most a'philes make in this hobby is trying to jam a speaker that is too large for the room into the space available.

If you conservatively replace "most" with "many", I agree with you 100%.

Large speakers, if at all, can be properly accommodated in not very large spaces mostly only with extensive acoustic measures. Success not guaranteed. I have little appetite to try a full range floorstander in my room. To start with, I'd like to have more width for that. And a whole lot more money to get one that does not in some areas lag too much behind my monitor/sub system.

Last edited:

marty

Apr 20, 2010
United States
I just noticed the room size and I withdraw my recommendation. In fact, it's hard to make any recommendations including sats and subs in such a challenging room. However I just recalled the most insane example of squeezing speakers into a room that occured (cringe) 50 years ago when I was a college freshman. The "audio guru" down the hall had managed to put Klipshorns driven my Marantz 7 and 9's into a dorm room that was no bigger than 8' x 9'. Keep in mind the room construction was comprised of cinder block walls. How did it sound? The operative word was LOUD. Frankly, nothing else mattered because nobody ever went into that room sober. Indeed, the hallway was so filled with smoke within 25 ft of his room, that active participation was not required. Ah, those were the good old days.

DaveyF

Jul 31, 2010
La Jolla, Calif USA
:rolleyes:
If you conservatively replace "most" with "many", I agree with you 100%.

Large speakers, if at all, can be properly accommodated in not very large spaces mostly only with extensive acoustic measures. Success not guaranteed. I have little appetite to try a full range floorstander in my room. To start with, I'd like to have more width for that. And a whole lot more money to get one that does not in some areas lag too much behind my monitor/sub system.

Ok...many.

This reminds me of the time, back in the day, that one of my a'phile friends tried to make Infinity IRS's work in his 9X10 room.
Oddly enough, he was quite pleased with the result ( I always felt it was one of the worst sounding systems I had heard..:( :rolleyes: )....that is until he moved into a room that was appx 60x40...and wondered out loud what the hell he was thinking of before, LOL.

JimmyS

Sep 1, 2013
Chicago, IL
Funny how similar our journeys are :).

My room is 12ftx13ft and using S3’s (version 1). It took some work to get them setup, but the reward was worth it. The sealed box definitely lets me get away with a larger speaker in the room I feel. I would not think of going any bigger as well, as I don’t think I could make S5’s work in my small space.

While I have not heard the M3’s, I suspect they are my next step and I intend to search out an audition. Heard the Q3’s and preferred to keep my S3’s. For me, the S3’s were more musical.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing