Shaq to the Celtics?

Ron Party

WBF Founding Member
Apr 30, 2010
Oakland, CA
So if the rumor comes to fruition, does that change anyone's opinion about who comes out of the East?

Second question: so what will Shaq now call himself? The Big Leprechaun? Shaqrock?

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City

Ron Party

WBF Founding Member
Apr 30, 2010
Oakland, CA
Perkins is going to miss at least half of the season and even then upon his return his effectiveness is highly questionable. I mean, he really tore the **** out of his knee.

Just realized this: if they sign Shaq, both the starting and reserve centers are O'Neals. Now, which one comes off the bench?

FrantzM

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Hi

If they sign Shaq they get a decent center, not the awe-inspiring, unguardable Shaq of old... What they also get is a center capable of tiring the opposing center in playoff game, enough to allow the other players to do their things.. Shaq remains a load .. A guy you can't leave alone ... As an example, Chris Bosh guarding Shaq is not the best defensive match for Bosh; that would definitely affect his offensive game.. Shaq would not score a lot but can easily put the weaker Bosh in foul trouble and tire him... Lebron or Wade path to the hoop is no longer unencumbered, they have to contend with 7'1" 350 lbs of basketball knowledge... I call it a very good move, one for the playoffs ..

rblnr

May 3, 2010
NYC/NJ
I think it's a good move too. At worst he'll clog the middle. They need 20 active minutes a game, and Doc and the Celt vets will push Shaq to get in shape and play hard. If he's got anything left in the tank, it's the best place for him.

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
I think it's a good move too. At worst he'll clog the middle. They need 20 active minutes a game, and Doc and the Celt vets will push Shaq to get in shape and play hard. If he's got anything left in the tank, it's the best place for him.

He'll play 20 games, get hurt, miss most of the season and be a non-entity in the playoffs.

Most of the centers in the East will blow by him. He couldn't guard my grandmother any more :(

And he'll clog up the offense :)

jadis

Apr 28, 2010
Manila, Philippines
The Celtics have a tradition of taking in 'washed-out' players. Like Pete Maravich in the late 80s ( who actually played with Larry Bird in his twilight years), Artis Gilmore, Dominique Wilkins, Xavier McDaniel, among others. They wanted Reggie Miller to come out of retirement in the 2008 season. They took in another old guard, Sam Cassell (who actually did very well), and another 'retired' F/C in the person of PJ Brown. Now, Shaq. As a Celtics fan, I still say it's better than nothing. It has been reported Shaq agreed to come off the bench. And that sounds good. Imagine if he were playing in the 7th game against LA with Perkins out - he could have gotten those rebounds plucked so easily by Gasol, on one play against Rondo. He can help, but only if he isn't tired. So limited minutes off the bench sounds real good to me. And, he still has to practice on his foul shots. I don't know if his career FT percentage is better than Wilt. :lol:

FrantzM

Apr 20, 2010
Hi

Not a Celtics fan here.. They are however very worthy adversaries.. Winning a championship beating the Celtics (or for a Celtics fan the Lakers) is true bliss ...

People were not blowing by Shaq in Cleveland, he never fit in their offensive or defensive scheme ... OTOH Doc Rivers has quickly become ( Byron Scott is in there too IMO) one of the best coach in the NBA.. He matched Phil Jackson quite well during the two last Lakers-Celics Championship meetings and IMO outsmarted Phil in the first, it wasn't only Pau's fault I felt Phils was outcoached by Doc in 2008 .. Doc knows what he is getting and frankly needs him for the payoff run ... Not much else, regular seasons games will be simple pick-ups for Shaq to learn offensive and defensive schemes ... As for getting hurt ... Shaq and his tendency to get out of shape comes the summer is well known and the Celtics Management is certainly aware of this ... They have proven time and again they're no fools ... I'll give them that credit

Think about what that means when you have coming from the bench, two real 7 footers .. with each 5 fouls to give and better-than-average skills.. And they will snatch precious rebounds and tire opposing centers doing so .... No second unit can boast such depth at center ... That kind of size can be a factor when comes playoff time ... if they're both healthy

jadis

Apr 28, 2010
Manila, Philippines
Agreed, Frantz. If Shaq's ego can be put aside and if Doc plays him 'cautiously' or like 'pick up games' where he will not be easily injured or fatigued by playing lesser minutes off the bench, that would be the key to Shaq's value to the Celts this coming season. As Ainge said, the Celts 'over-performed' last season by beating the Cavs and Magics despite not having home court. On Game 7 against LA, without their starting center Perkins and on the road, they led for about 3 quarters only to ran out of gas the last few minutes. And they lost only by 4. Again, the thought of Shaq in there without Perk, and now, possibly with Perk and Jermaine, is a very nice thought for Celtics fans.

FrantzM

Apr 20, 2010
Agreed they have the (My) Lakers to contend with plus the Magic and the Heat.. What I see is the Heat with this formidable trio, having the best record in the NBA only to falter inthe brutal East with the improved Magic, resilient smart and tough Celtics and even Chicago making a good run toward winning the East .. I see a rejuvenated Kobe, a strong Pau and a stifling defense on the Lakers will win them a few more championship.. I hope Bynum is not as brittle as he's shown the past 2 seasons .. The kid is good but hasn't proven durable enough to become an elite center .. his growth is being stunted be his (weak?) knees ... If Bynum develops into the center he can be ( Good footwork, very good strength in the middle and strong back to the basket skills), we got ourselves a few more championships during the Kobe era could be two to three more ...

After that it seems it'll be a new Dynasty , the Heat unless Oklahoma has its say in it ... Durant is not far from the Kobe, Lebron level and one could argue he is as good or even better than D Wade ...

jadis

Apr 28, 2010
Manila, Philippines
Shaq's press con today as a Celtic, with Doc Rivers beside him. I was a doubter before this, but it seems Shaq is sincere about his desire to win a ring or 2 again, in this last 2 years. I wonder who if there was a precedent, a 38-40 year old big name who won an NBA championship. Doc says Shaq will play around 20 minutes a game, which is fine with Shaq. I thought that is the ideal time he should play, nothing more. Given the fact the Shaq agreed to play for the veteran's minimum salary (a small fraction of his previous paycheck), I think he indeed is serious in helping the Celts in the rebounding department. I am now hopeful it will work out.

rblnr

May 3, 2010
NYC/NJ
Shaq's press con today as a Celtic, with Doc Rivers beside him. I was a doubter before this, but it seems Shaq is sincere about his desire to win a ring or 2 again, in this last 2 years. I wonder who if there was a precedent, a 38-40 year old big name who won an NBA championship. Doc says Shaq will play around 20 minutes a game, which is fine with Shaq. I thought that is the ideal time he should play, nothing more. Given the fact the Shaq agreed to play for the veteran's minimum salary (a small fraction of his previous paycheck), I think he indeed is serious in helping the Celts in the rebounding department. I am now hopeful it will work out.

He may well mean it, but this is exactly the stuff he said before joining Phoenix and Cleveland.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing