Schroder lT installed, pics a few comments...

jfrech

VIP/Donor
Sep 3, 2012
Austin
I play anything from standard thickness, 180 or 200 gram in any one sitting. I can hear the difference if I use 200 gram setting on 180 and vice versa. Having to use a lock screw is just too impractical, thus you need to really pick one that is an average and a compromise somewhat. Not ideal.

Hi, I can hear it to...but what I am saying is the Shroeder LT benefits outweigh the VTA advantages on a "normal" pivoted arm. Especially on inner and outer groove distortion. A easily VTA adjustable LT can likely help...but I feel I am better off giving up VTA for the better sonics of the LT arm..

rockitman

Member Sponsor
Sep 20, 2011
Northern NY
Hi, I can hear it to...but what I am saying is the Shroeder LT benefits outweigh the VTA advantages on a "normal" pivoted arm. Especially on inner and outer groove distortion. A easily VTA adjustable LT can likely help...but I feel I am better off giving up VTA for the better sonics of the LT arm..

I hear you. It would be even better if they offer the option in the future...

PeterA

Dec 6, 2011
USA
I play anything from standard thickness, 180 or 200 gram in any one sitting. I can hear the difference if I use 200 gram setting on 180 and vice versa. Having to use a lock screw is just too impractical, thus you need to really pick one that is an average and a compromise somewhat. Not ideal.

I also hear differences with very small adjustments to VTA. However, in my case, it has less to do with record thickness than it does with trying to match original cutting angles. I have some 150 gram LPs that have the same VTA setting as 180 gram LPs. Also, my collection of 180 gr LPs range anywhere from 16 to 18 mm VTA settings on my scale.

I had not realized the benefit of this earlier because my SME arm is not designed for frequent VTA adjustments as it requires two locking screws to be set and the height screw is not marked for repeated settings. When I figured out how to get around these shortcomings, I realized that the sonic benefits outweigh the hassle for me. SME chose to prioritize a more rigid coupling of the arm pillar to the the arm board in exchange for more convenient adjustability. Now with about 20 seconds to change VTA, I get the benefit of adjustability and rigidity.

It seems the Schoder already has the benefits of an ultra rigid coupling and VTA adjustability, although with a bit of hassle. I would love to hear this arm someday.

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
I also run a linear tracker, and find on the fly VTA, 'though poss w/my arm, is rarely used by me. I've found setting an average vta works just fine.

rockitman

Member Sponsor
Sep 20, 2011
Northern NY
It seems the Schoder already has the benefits of an ultra rigid coupling and VTA adjustability, although with a bit of hassle.

a bit of a hassle ? You basically need to come up with your setting and that's it. In order to adjust it, you would need to loosen the lock screw and use your hand to raise/lift the arm to the desired height. Obviously not practical for listening sessions unless you play the same record thickness. I suppose some carts are more flexible with a range of VTA and still sound good. That is not the case for most of my carts.

PeterA

Dec 6, 2011
USA
a bit of a hassle ? You basically need to come up with your setting and that's it. In order to adjust it, you would need to loosen the lock screw and use your hand to raise/lift the arm to the desired height. Obviously not practical for listening sessions unless you play the same record thickness. I suppose some carts are more flexible with a range of VTA and still sound good. That is not the case for most of my carts.

In my case, proper VTA has little to do with record thickness, but everything to do with matching the original cutting angle. My cartridge sounds good at an average VTA setting, but it sounds better if adjusted for each LP. I've recorded the proper setting for most of my favorite LPs, so it takes an additional 20 seconds or so to adjust before I play them. Sometimes I do play them in an order, say all that have a VTA setting of 16mm, then the ones that have 17mm or 18mm etc. In my case, it is indeed practical for listening sessions. My buddies don't seem to mind, nor do I. The Shroeder seems no more difficult to adjust than the SME. With the time I spend cleaning LPs, de-magging them, cleaning the stylus and using the Zerostat before each LP, the extra 20 seconds to adjust VTA for a batch of LPs is acceptable to me.

I certainly understand that Jfrech may value near ideal tracking more than he does near ideal VTA. I wonder why the Schroeder has the markings on it if it was never intended to be changed once set. Perhaps for calibration to different cartridges.

PeterA

Dec 6, 2011
USA
I also run a linear tracker, and find on the fly VTA, 'though poss w/my arm, is rarely used by me. I've found setting an average vta works just fine.

Spirit, with such a short arm on your linear tracker, do you find that the VTA is more greatly effected when the stylus encounters a warp than it would be with say a 9" or 12" arm? Are changing VTA and VTF audible through your rig when playing warped LPs, and if so, do you use a periphery ring clamp to deal with warps?

The arm length with the Schroder LT (as well as with the Walker arm) seems to be one of its real advantages because of this VTA condition. Another is similar horizontal and vertical moving mass that you get with a long arm. The Schroder seems to combine the advantages of a linear tracking arm with those of a pivoting arm, such as energy drainage paths, conventional mounting, effective mass etc. It's a very interesting design.

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Hi Peter, it's really hard to say whether VTA is an issue over warps etc, since by their nature, warps are a transitory phenomenon. Tbh, I'm sure warps affect azimuth temporarily too, so lp playback by it's v.nature is prone to lots of transitional pressures on settings. I'm convinced the short armwand on my Terminator is up to the job.
What I can def say is that the lack of tracking issues on going LT outweighs IMHO any issues w/VTA, at least in my rig.

jfrech

VIP/Donor
Sep 3, 2012
Austin
Hi What I can def say is that the lack of tracking issues on going LT outweighs IMHO any issues w/VTA, at least in my rig.

Spirit, I'd have to agree here. Pretty well said from my experience of having pivoted and LT arm types...

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
I have full on-the-fly VTA adjustment on my Terminator, and whatever the weight of vinyl disc used, I just never seem to need to veer away from my initial setting. Seems like I have a "happy medium". But we're all sensitive to different things, and I for one can't go back to the tracking issues I now "hear" in pivoted arms.

jcarr

Mar 24, 2012
Tokyo
www.lyraaudio.com
with such a short arm on your linear tracker, do you find that the VTA is more greatly effected when the stylus encounters a warp than it would be with say a 9" or 12" arm?

In addition to the warp-induced shifts in VTA (inarguably greater with shorter tonearms), a record warp will also cause a change in effective tonearm length that alters the perpendicularity of the stylus to the groove. John Bicht's Versa Dynamics turntables, which had the shortest tonearms that I have ever encountered, shipped with vacuum-clamped platters for precisely these reasons.

kind regards, jonathan carr

SAT

Industry Expert
Dec 30, 2013
Sweden
www.swedishat.com
In my opinion, the perceived improvements in sound reproduction of non-pivoted arms are more due to improved structural integrity than the fact they trace with less angular error (if properly set up).

Traditionally, highly regarded tangential tonearms have come with shorter arm tubes, higher mass in the horizontal plane or a combination of both. These factors have a big impact on the characteristics of the tonearm and are readily reflected in the sound reproduction.

Last edited:

audioarcher

May 6, 2012
Seattle area
Pics of my new arm board with the vdH Colibri mounted. Also new lighter counter weight so I can use the fine adjustment weight with the 6 gram Colibri.
LT with new arm board and Colibri 001.jpg LT with new arm board and Colibri 002.jpg LT with new arm board and Colibri 003.jpg

Last edited:

VPN

VIP/Donor
Dec 28, 2013
Hello,

Anyone using the Schroder LT with the copper wire (instead of silver)? Which phono preamp are you using?

Is the copper wire better for Schroder LT with a solid state phono and silver better for it with a tube phono?

Anyone using the silver wire version with a solid state phono preamp?

Thanks

jfrech

VIP/Donor
Sep 3, 2012
Austin
Hello,

Anyone using the Schroder LT with the copper wire (instead of silver)? Which phono preamp are you using?

Is the copper wire better for Schroder LT with a solid state phono and silver better for it with a tube phono?

Anyone using the silver wire version with a solid state phono preamp?

Thanks

I have Silver. SUT/Tube+SS hybrid stage. I took Steve's (xact audio NA dealer) advice here...since he had tried both. I've found you can always warm things up a touch with a power cord or certain isolation...can never get back lost resolution. I have NO clue of the copper leads are lower res...just saying that as a general statement.

I will say it's a FANTASTIC arm...I've loved mine...one of those things I won't ever sell.

jfrech

VIP/Donor
Sep 3, 2012
Austin
Installed my Allaert's MC2 Gold Finish cartridge today in my LT arm. My phono stage can barely handle the .2mv output with out getting to noisy. I love my Lyra Atlas...the Allaert's has more beauty, a very small increase in resolution...and better spatially. The Atlas has more power and more majestic. Hard to say if one is better...cool thing about the Atlas is it's world class and drive's phono stage's easily...

Will spend the next few days getting it spot on dialed in...already it's just very enjoyable to listen to.

audioarcher

May 6, 2012
Seattle area
Installed my Allaert's MC2 Gold Finish cartridge today in my LT arm. My phono stage can barely handle the .2mv output with out getting to noisy. I love my Lyra Atlas...the Allaert's has more beauty, a very small increase in resolution...and better spatially. The Atlas has more power and more majestic. Hard to say if one is better...cool thing about the Atlas is it's world class and drive's phono stage's easily...

Will spend the next few days getting it spot on dialed in...already it's just very enjoyable to listen to.

Nice. Makes you wish you could have two Schroder LT's.;) How about a pic?

jfrech

VIP/Donor
Sep 3, 2012
Austin
It does...and another table...and...and :)

DSC_2170.jpg

PeterA

Dec 6, 2011
USA

Wow, "the Allaert's has more beauty, a very small increase in resolution...and better spatially." More resolution than an Atlas PLUS beauty. It sounds nearly perfect. Congratulations, John. Seems you too have discovered a "gold" cartridge.

jfrech

VIP/Donor
Sep 3, 2012
Austin
Wow, "the Allaert's has more beauty, a very small increase in resolution...and better spatially." More resolution than an Atlas PLUS beauty. It sounds nearly perfect. Congratulations, John. Seems you too have discovered a "gold" cartridge.

Now that I've had a week of listening... several 4 hour listening sessions. I'll stick with my original comparisons. However, I do find myself missing the power (maybe speed is better word) on the Atlas. But, I am also digging the midrange beauty of the Allaerts. I should add the Atlas is more linear top to bottom-which I seem to miss also.

Part of me is wondering about the Etna...anyone try this cartridge yet?

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing