Samsung enters the tube audio arena?

I never sold TVs for a living and never hung around TV techs. I love my Samsung LED so if that makes me a TV idiot that doesn't know crap from a Pioneer Elite-so be it. I owned a very expensive Pioneer Elite CD/DVD player that ate my CDs and I swore I would never own anything that said Pioneer Elite again. Plasma TVs are so cheap now they damn near give them away. If Samsung LED TVs suck, I guess I love suck.

Hi

OT

My viewpoint on this. I am a movie lover. I used to be back in the days a Photographer and did learn to "see" color and hd to learn what made a good picture.. Trying to print on Cibachrome in a darkroom teaches you a few things fast :)
Today TV are orders of magnitude better than yesterday's no doubt.. The most popular TV today's edge-lit LCD seem to be that. The whole genre suffers from some inaccuracies n their picture presentation. That is a a fact and once you know how to see it becomes evident. Not a case of being an idiot simply not interested in the subtleties.
Samsung TVs are good, several are very good but the very thin LCD whether they are Samsung or anything have to be Edge lit suffer from uniformity of lighting. It is simply not possible to have the entire screen surface equally lit if the light source is on the edges ... it is visible even to the uninitiated. On dark scenes or films you do see it and for many, myself included it is bothersome, for most, obviously not. That doesn't mean they do not produce good pictures they do but not the ultimate. Plasmas are better in this regard and Front Projection much, much better... On this Samsung is very serious about Video quality and their front projectors are very good and often decently calibrated out of the box ...

Meanwhile I am watching movies and Sports from Edge-lit LED/LCD Flatscreens but I yearn for better

As for Pioneer Elite .. Well your experience is much different from mine having owned a few of their models with nary a problem and sublime pictures

back to Samsung and Tubes for today consumer ... Let's continue to dream ...

-- ...And dream in kolor about 'warmth' of old vintage tubes (TVs). :b

Actually, a pretty good argument can be made that the best technology is still the CRT. But a 60" hi-def CRT would weigh a couple of thousand pounds and be prohibitively expensive.

Tim

Actually, a pretty good argument can be made that the best technology is still the CRT. But a 60" hi-def CRT would weigh a couple of thousand pounds and be prohibitively expensive.

Not to mention, it would have incredible distortion at the edges, bombard everyone in the room with its electron gun, and be wasteful of power!

-- Let's stick with Plasmas, LCD LEDs, Front Projectors (2013), and OLEDs (?).
...And with Tubes inside those new Samsung's products. :b ...Digital (Class D) integrated amp and powered amp/speaker combo for your iPod, +++.

I have owned lots of TVs over the years and I found flaws in all of them that drove me nuts over time. The only TV that I have ever owned that I didn’t (and don’t) see flaws in is my current Samsung 55” LED TV. I have been very happy with this TV and I’m still happy with it. If somebody can tell me what is available today in the 60” to 65” range that smokes my Samsung, I’m all ears and eyeballs.

Never underestimate Samsung. They make cheap things that work amazingly well. I can place a Samsung copier in an abusive environment like a loading dock or even worse, a school, without worrying about it. Their units have the mechanical build components of a Japanese machine twice as fast and five times more expensive. They simply work, and when they break it is easier to replace an entire section, rather than repair it. A service provider might spend $500-1,000 repairing a document feeder on a Canon or Konica, but the entire unit on a Samsung can be replaced for $170, and it was more reliable than the others at the outset. Samsung's Achilles's heel is its "mass marketer" type of distribution mentality and sketchy availability of parts. Fortunately, the products are cheap enough and reliable enough that it isn't a huge concern. To top it off, Samsung is surprisingly innovative.

I can only imagine what would happen if they became seriously interested in high-end audio, but I suspect they would make quite a splash, especially if they cleaned up distribution channels.

Edited for spelling.

Last edited:
I have owned lots of TVs over the years and I found flaws in all of them that drove me nuts over time. The only TV that I have ever owned that I didn’t (and don’t) see flaws in is my current Samsung 55” LED TV. I have been very happy with this TV and I’m still happy with it. If somebody can tell me what is available today in the 60” to 65” range that smokes my Samsung, I’m all ears and eyeballs.

---- Alright, let's do it! :b ...What exact model number do you own right now?

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing