Samsung counters iPhone 5S with a golden Galaxy S4

ack

VIP/Donor & WBF Founding Member
May 6, 2010
Boston, MA
iPhone vs Dow Jones companies

Source http://www.businessweek.com/article...hone-sales-eclipse-microsoft-and-amazon#r=rss

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
This is about as important as any other thread on this (or any) forum. If nobody takes a stance, the threads won't be that interesting. And it's possible to take a stance w/o being childish, which is one of the reasons WBF was formed I believe.

Indeed it was Bob

Johnny Vinyl

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
This is about as important as any other thread on this (or any) forum. If nobody takes a stance, the threads won't be that interesting. And it's possible to take a stance w/o being childish, which is one of the reasons WBF was formed I believe.

I was being a bit devilishly sarcastic and only wanted to point out something, that to me, seems rather unimportant in the grand scheme of things.

I use my smartphone for communication (phone/text), email, banking, weather, news, GPS and one app I use for entering my work data. Other than that I have no use for one and would give it up in a heartbeat if I could. The level of importance people place on "apps" is simply mind-boggling to me, because I fail to understand why all of a sudden they are deemed so essential, when 5 years ago none of this existed. Maybe it's just cool to say I have this app and that app and oh boy, look at what I can do or retrieve with it. Or, maybe I'm just one of those people that thinks not everything new is actually the advancement corporate marketers have let us to believe.
1238156_10151866952437008_125582622_n.jpg

FrantzM

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
I was being a bit devilishly sarcastic and only wanted to point out something, that to me, seems rather unimportant in the grand scheme of things.

I use my smartphone for communication (phone/text), email, banking, weather, news, GPS and one app I use for entering my work data. Other than that I have no use for one and would give it up in a heartbeat if I could. The level of importance people place on "apps" is simply mind-boggling to me, because I fail to understand why all of a sudden they are deemed so essential, when 5 years ago none of this existed. Maybe it's just cool to say I have this app and that app and oh boy, look at what I can do or retrieve with it. Or, maybe I'm just one of those people that thinks not everything new is actually the advancement corporate marketers have let us to believe.
View attachment 11891

I think that the smartphone ushers a new way of living.We now have literally at our fingertips a good portion portion of the world Knowledge and Information. I also think that it is not all rosy and peachy. There is a social disengagement inherent to the constant use of smartphones. Numerous people do not enjoy the moment so engaged they think they have to be with others and that at a very superficial level. So you see people on a date texting wildly and not enjoying each other company. It brings a level of superficial report that IMO does not enrich human relationship and contacts. A lot more could be said about the abuse of smartphone ... I'll stop there

Back to Samsung and Apple

Innovation in communication is not about what people experience at a direct level; it is much more, it is the codes that allow many things to happen, it is the hardware that can run these codes efficiently, it is about the people in Human Interface plying those codes to the dictates of human nature. It is a lot more than an interface. So in that sense one should see Samsung as much more than a Smartphone maker, they also innovate and the quantity of patents they bring to the world is extraordinary. They are by no means alone and frankly they do not yet touch Apple in that Human Interface as exemplified (Someone already mentioned this in thes thread) by the elegance of an Apple anything compared kludgy, stupid and heavy interface of Samsung TVs. On the smartphones front, fortunately, they have Android to save them from themselves. I would advise them to not go for their homebrew OS.

As for the gold Apple phones, I hope no one is calling this an innovation...

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
Personally I find it highly irritating being in a room filled with people staring at their phones or tablets. Having a search engine at your fingertips however is way cool. It's happened a number of times with my Dad when he asks, "do you remember when so and so happened?" or "who did so and so?" and all I have to do is reach for my phone.

As far as gold phones though, I'm wondering what the limited gold S4s will fetch on ebay.

BTW I'm an apple user through in through and my favorite brother in law is a Samsung USA Veep. One of my close friends is Samsung PH's chief legal officer. We have a few funny stories about the ruggedized S4s getting dunked in ice buckets during drinking sessions. My advice: Don't do it!!!!! :D

Keith_W

Mar 31, 2012
Melbourne, Australia
www.whatsbestforum.com

I might point out to you that there are far many more smartphone users than there are hifi hobbyists. Also, a phone is a more interesting piece of tech than an interconnect. Even though it might be cheaper than some interconnects. Yet the cable debates still rage on in audio forums. They were at it when I first got on audio forums in 1991, and people are still at it now. I can tell you that in 1991 nobody was arguing about Apple v Samsung :)

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing