Running A Powered Sub With a Bridged Amp?

Fred

May 31, 2010
Covington, LA
I posted what appears below on another forum and also wanted to post here to see what opinions on this you all might have. I recently read a review of the Musical Fidelity M8 equipment that Jacob Heilbrun reviewed for AS back in September. He made a statement in that review that now has me concerned. Jacob reports that the M8700 monobloc runs in a bridged design that should cause some concern, or pause at the very least, of connecting a sub such as an REL to it. Apparently the risk of a ground problem in this configuration could cause something (or everything) to go up in smoke. My Musical Fidelity 550K's also operate in a bridged design and Jacob's statement now has me worried. What I wrote elsewhere is copied below in its entirety:

In my 2 channel audio system I am running a Jolida 502 BRC Tube Integrated Amp into a pair of Musical Fidelity 550k Superchargers. The 550K's then power a pair of Magnepan 1.7's. Recently, and through the gracious support of Definitive Technology, I have repaired my SuperCube III and am looking to add it to this audio setup. (As a temporary test run as I ultimately have my sights set on and REL T5.)

Now to digress a moment. When I first got the Maggies, I did not own the 550K's. Trying to drive the 4 ohm Maggies with the 65 watt Jolida wasn't getting it done for me, so after much deliberation and scouring the used market, I finally secured a mint pair of the 550K's to introduce into the system. (Yes, they are miracle workers, but that's for another thread).

I originally had the Maggies tapped to the 4 ohm speaker taps on the back of the Jolida because, well, they are 4 ohm speakers. But since I am wiring the SuperCube high level through the Jolida speaker taps also, I became concerned about tapping the SuperCube to the 4 ohm taps. In the end I decided to re-tap everything to the 8 Ohm taps under the theory that it really wouldn't matter since the Jolida sees the 550K's as a low impedance input that the Jolida can easily drive. In short, the 550K's are supposed to make the Jolida work about 10 times less than it normally would to drive the Maggies.

I ran the system about 30 to 40 percent power for about 20 minutes and everything seemed to work very well. The SuperCube is working and really rounding out the lower mid to low range very nicely. My question is: Am I running the risk of damaging something long term? I've been to the Musical Fidelity website which has proved futile to find any info on their legacy products like the 550K's.

Any members of the forum with more of a technical background that can chime in on how the relationships between resistance and impedance interact in a system such is I have described here would be very much appreciated.

Thanks!

I should note that in my setup the 550K's and the SuperCube III share only the speaker taps on the back of the Jolida. The sub is not connected directly to either of the 550K's. Is that a potential problem though?

DaveyF

Jul 31, 2010
La Jolla, Calif USA
Fred, I believe that you are justified to be concerned about the hookup of a sub like the REL to a bridged amp.I'm NOT a techie, but I think that there are issues with the REL in regards to the fact that the REL uses a balanced connection hookup. I know that with my ARC tube amp, I have to connect the one cable from the REL to the 4ohm tap as it acts as a ground. I have asked REL ( Sumiko) to tell me how to connect two subs ( I now have two REL T5's) to my system so that they are working one per channel. No word back yet:(. You may want to try and contact Sumiko regarding your question....I would be interested to see what they respond. In the meantime, i would be VERY careful with hooking up a powered sub to your amp....probably NOT something to do unless one knows the protocol.

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
If you want to connect a subwoofer to a bridged amplifier you should connect the ground wire of the sub to a grounding point in the chassis or better to the ground of the signal connectors - NEVER to the negative speaker connector, unless the manufacturer or dealer says your sub has a true balanced floating input that can be connected to bridged speakers. As Davey says, ask before you do!

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
Fred, I believe that you are justified to be concerned about the hookup of a sub like the REL to a bridged amp.I'm NOT a techie, but I think that there are issues with the REL in regards to the fact that the REL uses a balanced connection hookup. I know that with my ARC tube amp, I have to connect the one cable from the REL to the 4ohm tap as it acts as a ground. I have asked REL ( Sumiko) to tell me how to connect two subs ( I now have two REL T5's) to my system so that they are working one per channel. No word back yet:(. You may want to try and contact Sumiko regarding your question....I would be interested to see what they respond. In the meantime, i would be VERY careful with hooking up a powered sub to your amp....probably NOT something to do unless one knows the protocol.

Since you are properly connecting the ground of the sub to the 4 ohm tap, just connect the other sub to the other channel in the same way. The two signal wires of the subwoofer should be connected at the 0 ohm or to 16 ohm terminal. (the 0 ohm reverses phase, the 16 ohm keeps phase). Do not connect one to the 0 and the other to the 16 - it will cancel the signal sent to the sub!

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing