Rogue 88 amp NFB relay question

cytovette

Aug 17, 2023
Alabama, USA
I am working on a Rogue 88 amp for a friend and am wondering why the NFB circuit is controlled by a relay. Every amp I have worked on before always had a direct connection from the output to the input cathode. To me it looks like when the relay is engaged the output is shunted to ground.
The red marks on the attached schematic are my edits for clarity.

88 FB.jpg

sparkie

Dec 7, 2023
Rapid City, South Dakota
A friend just told me that it is to stop the thump at turn on.
Yes, its a "mute". It should have its own loading resistors for the transformer. Its the only one you can do w/o going to more expensive industrial relays.
What I would do is use a Potter & Brumfield T92 and lift the screen resistors on the output tubes for the mute or lift the 500V

cytovette

Aug 17, 2023
Alabama, USA
Someone did a bunch of shoddy diy mods, including bypassing the output transformer center tap fuses. It over heated and took out a lot of components. Now the input tubes are overdriving and failing.

sparkie

Dec 7, 2023
Rapid City, South Dakota
Someone did a bunch of shoddy diy mods, including bypassing the output transformer center tap fuses. It over heated and took out a lot of components. Now the input tubes are overdriving and failing.
Output transformer center tap fuses?
Never seen that one in an output transformer.
I would just pull the tubes, and throw away the rest and start new with a tube rectifier and good transformers and with a case that isn't going to cook the electronics. I really don't know how junk amps like this get great reviews. The transformers look like hammonds so its only going o be so good but I probably wouldn't trust warranty them on a unit..

Last edited:

cytovette

Aug 17, 2023
Alabama, USA
I was getting low output with distortion, I suspected something in the NFB circuit, which is why I asked the (silly?) question.

My electronics training was almost 50 years ago and I changed careers a few years after passing the aCET etc. I do my own build and repairs and also for friends on occasion. So my knowledge is somewhat sketchy at time.

Yeah there are fuses in line with the OPT center taps and B+.

BTW the schematic is for the Magnum 88 amp and this is the standard 88, so there are minor discrepancies.

I pulled the relay and the distortion and signal level came back to normal, I am getting some popping and cracking though.

sparkie

Dec 7, 2023
Rapid City, South Dakota
I pulled the relay and the distortion and signal level came back to normal, I am getting some popping and cracking though.
now you need to see what is causing it. I would measure your 500V and see if its too high.

But popping and crackling could be a bad tube as well. Besides other things like bad sockets.

cytovette

Aug 17, 2023
Alabama, USA
The popping was due to an intermittent ground contact on the left RCA input jack. Someone replaced the original jacks with Cardas, which are slightly larger. He didn't drill out the holes so the shoulder washers could fit properly and fix the gap around it from the chassis. I could see the popping on the sinewave so I traced it back to the input.

Sine and square waves both look good now.

I am thinking the distortion was the relay and/or the 555 timing chip that controls it is/are bad. Gonna replace both.

Reactions: sparkie

Reagan

Mar 22, 2024
Concord, NC
I am working on a Rogue 88 amp for a friend and am wondering why the NFB circuit is controlled by a relay. Every amp I have worked on before always had a direct connection from the output to the input cathode. To me it looks like when the relay is engaged the output is shunted to ground.
The red marks on the attached schematic are my edits for clarity.

View attachment 121407
Did you replace any of the caps? My Rogue Audio 88 has a slight hum. Rogue Audio suggested changing the coupling caps may help. I would like to make a few changes. Any recommendations on cap and/or resistor changes would be much appreciated.

cytovette

Aug 17, 2023
Alabama, USA
Did you replace any of the caps? My Rogue Audio 88 has a slight hum. Rogue Audio suggested changing the coupling caps may help. I would like to make a few changes. Any recommendations on cap and/or resistor changes would be much appreciated.
Yes I replaced a lot of caps because of the overheating. I used 0.1uF Solen Fastcaps for the first coupling stage and 2.7uF Solen Fastcaps for the second stage. The owner is very pleased with the sound now. I replaced all of the capacitors in the power supply as they either already failed or were failing. I didn't change any resistors. If the hum is in both channels I would suspect a power supply issue. Here is a video I made of the repair I did:

Last edited:

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing