WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
Are there any white papers around on the design

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
In deed it appears the vapor depsited beryllium is complex and expensixe.

Last edited:

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
"Concentric-driver speakers are inclined to have a coloration arising from horn-loading of the concentric tweeter by the surrounding midrange driver."

AudioExplorations

Apr 5, 2012
"Concentric-driver speakers are inclined to have a coloration arising from horn-loading of the concentric tweeter by the surrounding midrange driver."

Greg, you are right about the horn-loading aspect, this is what Andres Jones said about it in a recent interview:

"... a concentric driver is essentially a horn-loaded tweeter in a horn that is moving -- but because so many have a negative reaction to the word horn, we instead refer to a waveguide. With every tweeter, I pretty much put it in a short waveguide to help control the directivity. Whenever I’ve been forced to put a tweeter directly on the surface of the box, I’ve made the measurements and then struggled with the design of the rest of the system. It is just the wrong thing to do, from my viewpoint. Controlling the directivity with a waveguide of the correct shape is a good thing. You can get a very dynamic sound, low coloration, and other benefits from a properly designed horn driver these days. But you still have this bandwidth limitation. So how do you overcome that? It may now mean you are crossing over at 1000Hz. Is that better than crossing over at 2000-3000Hz? Maybe. But you are still typically crossing over to a bigger bass driver, and so still have the same issues of interference off axis, so you’re back to design compromises. I think horns have gotten a bad rap. They can be so much better these days. You can do some really good hi-fi systems with correct choices of drivers and matching wavelengths."

Interestingly he specifically mentions low coloration as a result of the design. In my personal case I have found these speakers unbeaten in terms of accuracy and transparency - most reviewers also tend to highlight this.

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
I like horns. The point is there must IMO be a benefit to choosing a component with an inherent design flaw. Especially at this price point. It seems that coherence may be one benifit of the cooncentric driver.

AudioExplorations

Apr 5, 2012
Yes, every driver type has it's pros and cons and every design decision taken is a compromise of some sort. I am by no means an expert on this but a lot of the benefits I am aware of have to do with the true point source emanation of the sound waves. As there are no time and phase coherency differences between the two drivers at any off-axis position in relation to the speaker it means that very simple and highly transparent crossovers can be used. Result is that the sound that arrives at the listener both direct and reflected from the side walls/ceilings has the same harmonics and timbre, making the need for highly treated rooms less of an issue. I would be interested read up more about this.

AudioExplorations

Apr 5, 2012
Eye candy :)

AudioExplorations

Apr 5, 2012
CR1 listening impressions posted on another site. Some interesting perspective and comparison to other well known speakers.

"ok, the dealer took them away... my first impressions (all to my taste room and system and music, so no one take no offense where I make comparations to other products)

these speakers are quite something. Very interesting product…

I am still impress with how accurate and rich from a tonal perspective they are… Nothing I have heard comes close in that respect. Per instance speaker costing far more, like the SF Aidas or the W. Maxx 3 are not even close to the CR1s… Is like a bad joke. The Magico Q5s are closer in this regard but the CR1s are even better.

Also transparent. Again only heard the ML CLXs coming close to them. Not even the Q5s whom are said to be the most transparent. That's why they are so unforgiving also with the recording quality of source material and with anything you add/change in the chain of reproduction.

In terms of size of stage, size of instruments, sound staging they are very good. I did not expect that. No small scenes or instruments at all. All is reproduced at the correct size/place.

Bass and dynamics also very very good. Missing the very lowest, but otherwise very defined and musical, precise and articulated.

They do sounded a bit forward in the highs, which is the only problem I have with them. I needed to experiment with positioning and, specially with cables, but did not had the time. I have as principal suspects, a pair of silver balanced interconnects I want to try and change with something else. They work great with my current speakers but may be too much with very resolving and detailed speakers like the TADs.

All in all, I think they are fantastic and probably will end up going for them.

murrayp

Mar 1, 2012
Last Saturday I listened to the TAD Ref1 with TAD M600 monos and TAD C200 with Metronome Kalista SE. It is really hard to explain how correct was the system & the music, be it classic masterpieces to Buika to Dire Stairs. It was an all in all holistic sound which really embraces you. and you start to stomp your feet and lost yourself into the realm of music.

Tonight I will do the comparison with Soulution pre power combo with TAD Ref1 and than will connect TAD CR1.

Hello Emre,

May I ask how you found the Ref1 with the Soulution vs the M600? And the Cr1? You have had a rare opportunity that many of us are most interested in.

Many thanks

Murray

Emre Üçöz

Aug 1, 2011
Istanbul
Hello Emre,

May I ask how you found the Ref1 with the Soulution vs the M600? And the Cr1? You have had a rare opportunity that many of us are most interested in.

Many thanks

Murray

Murray,
I did listen to Ref1 more extensively than CR1. I only had a chance to the swap of amplifiers with Ref1. But as soon as I am back from holidays, i will have a second run and this time I will try amp mix & match with CR1.
If I resume my experience with Ref1 with M600 vs Soulution 710, both amps are great match for it, M600 s provided more slam and bottom end control whereas 710 was more black backgrounds and more detailed soundstage.
I will write up a more detailed listening session for the next round.

Cheers,
Emre

murrayp

Mar 1, 2012
Thanks Emre - very interesting. If you have a chance your impressions of the Ref1 vs the CR1 would be pretty interesting too.
best
Murray

joeinid

Mar 14, 2011
NY
I've noticed over the past day or two my CR-1's are settling in very nicely. They seem to be smoothing out perfectly and starting to really break in and open up more and relax. I am sure I will notice a little more as time goes on. I was listening last night and I was just amazed at how nice they were sounding, even on streaming 320k music. It was one of those Aha! moments. I am very happy with these bad boys. I love them.

Emre Üçöz

Aug 1, 2011
Istanbul
I have done the mix & match for CR1. And unfortunately CR1 does not sing with Soulution 720&710. Mids, treble, backgrounds, overall soundstage is wonderful but there is a huge lack of body and bass. Where as when we connected the MBL Corona line integrated and TAD own pre power combo it really started to sing again. There was a clear mismatch with Soulution gear :(
We have switched back again to Ref1 and more or less Soulution with Ref1 gave the same taste. It was better than CR1 but somehow the sound was fuller with TAD monos. Despite the fact that better sound staging and better harmonics of Soulution gear.

murrayp

Mar 1, 2012
Thanks Emre,
very interesting. I guess this is where high end dealers are so important - without the opportunity to mix and match like this one could end up with a very expensive error.

May I ask, if you were to compare (at a similar performance level) the REF1/M600 to Soulution 710/suitable speaker, what speakers might they be and what might the pros and cons be compared to the TAD set up? I'm interested to see where you see the Ref1/M600 strengths and weaknesses compared to other seriously high end alternatives. Always recognising it becomes a personal preference at some point.

Many thanks again,
Murray

AudioExplorations

Apr 5, 2012
TAD CR-1 Review Hifi Plus Issue 92, October 2012

"This is actually one of the hardest loudspeakers to describe in sonic terms, because you end up thinking about things in terms of what other loudspeakers do wrong. When it comes to describing what this does right, it pretty much does all of it right"

"There isn't a genre that falls down through the CR1 s - if the idea of playingsome dirty dubstep through these loudspeakers appeals, it will sound fantastic through these loudspeakers. If instead, your jollies are more cerebral and you dream of reanimating Miles Davis in your listening room,the CR1s get damn close to perfection in the current loudspeaker market."

"I firmly believe that the best stand mount loudspeakers the world has ever seen are gracing the stores right now. But even in such lauded company, the TAD CR1 still has the power to wow. Ultimately, it's hard to pick a winner in the 'cost no object' stand mount loudspeaker race, because different loudspeakers will appeal to different listeners. But I can't help feeling that the CR1 will end up appealing to more of those listeners than its rivals, simply because it sounds so very, very right."

- Alan Sircom

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing