Review: TAD full reference system - AUDIOphile Magazine, Jan 2012

AudioExplorations

Apr 5, 2012
Review of complete TAD reference system - D600/C600/M600/Reference One.

The article is in German, there is also an English version available in print but difficult to find.

The reviewer gave the system top points in:

- effortless, airy, gentle/silky/smooth
- direct, resolution
- neutral, accurate​

and less than top points in:

- thrilling, emotional, dynamic​

Download -> View attachment tad.pdf

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Review of complete TAD reference system - D600/C600/M600/Reference One.

The article is in German, there is also an English version available in print but difficult to find.

The reviewer gave the system top points in:

- effortless, airy, gentle/silky/smooth
- direct, resolution
- neutral, accurate​

and less than top points in:

- thrilling, emotional, dynamic​

Download -> View attachment 6490

Thanks...wish i could read German. Fortunately, i have heard this system in Japan!

Eli08

Jul 19, 2012
I tend to agree... To what I heard at dealer. All but dynamic. Was very very dynamic. I did find the all TAD a bit cold.

AudioExplorations

Apr 5, 2012
I heard some of the ref line components on Friday/Saturday at the Paris show; the CR1 paired with the M600, C600 fed by the top MSB DAC with Aurender as music server. The system was easily the best at the show, others did not get close IMO. I have never heard the CR1's sing like they did. What I am thinking now as to the ultimate TAD R1 or CR1 based system is the M600 mono's paired with whatever preamp and DAC to tailor the sonics the taste of the listener. The control, clarity, effortlessness of the M600 mono's on the CR1's was absolutely stunning.

As a side note the E1 powered by the M2500/C2000 (they alternated systems) was not in the same class, was rather dissapointed as compared to the above combo. Think it was mainly due to the E1's as I have heard the M2500/C2000 sound amazing on the CR1's...

Eli08

Jul 19, 2012
It could very well be. I can not say what was it that made the all TAD system cold. Could be the preamp or the CDP. Or even cables... Since it was all new to me had no way of saying what part of the system was doing what to sound.

The E1 is a very good box for my experience, in their price range. But not the same as the references. If you heard the CR1 with all TAD top of the line before, is normal when comparing that they didnt come out too well.

The E1 in my system was a better performer than my very beloved 800Di. But... Could not achieve tonal quality of the CR1s. Not in the same league.

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
I heard some of the ref line components on Friday/Saturday at the Paris show; the CR1 paired with the M600, C600 fed by the top MSB DAC with Aurender as music server. The system was easily the best at the show, others did not get close IMO. I have never heard the CR1's sing like they did. What I am thinking now as to the ultimate TAD R1 or CR1 based system is the M600 mono's paired with whatever preamp and DAC to tailor the sonics the taste of the listener. The control, clarity, effortlessness of the M600 mono's on the CR1's was absolutely stunning.

As a side note the E1 powered by the M2500/C2000 (they alternated systems) was not in the same class, was rather dissapointed as compared to the above combo. Think it was mainly due to the E1's as I have heard the M2500/C2000 sound amazing on the CR1's...

I had a similar impression in Japan. Very clear, very clean. Detailed as opposed to nuanced. Loud peaks as opposed to crescendos. i can see how you, AudioExplorations, are thinking change the pre/DAC...i would agree with that approach to see what happens. In your case, sounds like it was a good move.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing