Records I Didn't Know I Had

Johnny Vinyl

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
Somewhere in that range, yes! I'm not sure about the numbers you posted regarding the percentage of defects, but I've been generally pleased with the vast majority of them.

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Vancouver Island, B.C. Canada
-- I mentioned between 10 and 20% on average (rate of defective records) John because from extensive reading on the matter it seems to be about just right.

* If I purchase an album for let say $40 or $50 + shipping, I would like to get 100% satisfaction, each time.
The shipping fee to return a defective one, plus the time to do it is not for me. That is one of the reasons analog albums are less and less prominent now in my life. And 2nd-hand ones for a buck or so each require extensive cleaning and declogging. ...Which is quite demanding in my simple life.

Yeah, I know, analog 'euphony' with a fair rate of defective records comes with the territory, and it is simply part of the extensive rituals.

Perhaps in my older days (80s) I'll buy a Linn LP12 and simply play the albums I now have.
But I won't be getting a $10,000 TT with a $5,000 Cart and a $5,000 Tonearm and buying new remastered LPs at $50 a pop.

...Or I might just have high rez audio files stored in my hard drives anyway and play them through a digital music server or a Universal player like the Oppo BDP-105 (115-125) for example. ...And even use that Oppo player as my preamp. :b

Johnny Vinyl

May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
I tend to buy my vinyl locally, and while slightly more expensive, it's still cheaper than having to pay for it when coming from the U.S., so shipping is not an issue for me. I have a very good relationship with my local dealer and have never had an issue returning anything, which has only happened once in the last 2 years. I do and have purchased used audiophile LP's from a few guys over at the SH Forums. The lower cost offsets the shipping, so I'm good with that.

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Last edited:

Johnny Vinyl

May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
If I do purchase outside of Canana I tend to buy from Amazon UK and have been very pleased. The price for shipping is very inexpensive and I've never been hit with duties and/or brokerage charges.

And yes, I did see that. Thanks!:)

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
-- You must be lucky, or you don't buy as many as some other people do.
And that makes you part of the 'lower' average.
Because like I said, between 10 and 20% ... That is the average; for some people it's 2%, others 8%, others 15%, others 20%, and for some people it's 25%.

* Sorry Bill. ...Back on track (grooves that are gathering dust & that we didn't know we had). :b

Bill Hart

May 11, 2012
I found an original Everest mono of Antill's Corroboree- looks like it was never played. Gonna fire that one up tonite and will report. I know the record was reissued, i think by Classic?, at some point.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing