Recommendations For Canon L-Series Lenses

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
With my 5D Mk ll soon to arrive I have narrowed my choice of Canon lenses to the following and I am seeking input from members on their experiences with any or all of these lenses as well as any other L-Series lenses

Ultra-Wide Zoom
Canon 16-35mm f/2.8L II USM

Standard Zoom
EF 24-70mm f/2.8L USM

Telephoto Zoom
EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II USM

EF 85mm f/1.2L II USM

Not sure how often I would use the 70-200 telephoto zoom. Are members using this lens?

vinylphilemag

WBF Founding Member
Apr 30, 2010
Kelowna, BC
www.vinylphilemag.com
I guess it depnds on what sort of photography you envisage doing. One lens to consider for portraits and macro photography is the Canon EF 100mm f/2.8L IS USM macro lens. I played with it a bit at my local camera store a few weeks ago, and it's a honey!

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
Ultra-Wide Zoom
Canon 16-35mm f/2.8L II USM
Good choice. That is what I have. By world standards, it is not great btw but it is the best wide angle for a full frame canon camera that interfaces with it. Better quality comes from mod'ing medium format lenses, causing you to lose all automation.

Standard Zoom
EF 24-70mm f/2.8L USM
Have it. Not a fan. Mine gets next to zero use. It is quite large and heavy. Produces really good images. However, it has a pretty short range and no image stabilization. I much prefer the 24-105 F4IS. The image quality might be a tad lower but it is so much more flexible lens that you will take tons more shots with it. You go from landscapes to portraits in one shot. With the 24-70 you will be changing lenses all the time to cover this range.

Telephoto Zoom
EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II USM
One of the best zooms Canon makes. Wonderful quality. Unfortunately, it is huge and heavy. Mine stays home most of the time. Only time it goes with me is if I am shooting low light situations like my sons graduation. Otherwise, my pick would be the cheaper, and even slightly better quality 70-200 F4 IS. This is a much, much lighter lens, and smaller to boot. It puts a smile on my face every time I use it.

EF 85mm f/1.2L II USM
I have the Mark I. Mark II is a bit faster but it is still dog slow to focus. Worse yet, it has an electronic focus ring ("drive by wire") which is totally unnatural to use in manual mode. You will not be able to capture hardly anything in motion with it. Of course, it is extremely bright and practically "makes light." Background blur is as dreamy as it can get. Best to think of this lens as a specialty lens, mostly for portraits. But if this is the application, I suggest the 135F2. It doesn't have any of the negatives of 85f1.2 and its image quality is amazing. Another, much cheaper alternative is 50f1.4. It is tiny, tiny, tiny. And it is cheap. I carry one in my pocket all the time. It is too wide though for general portrait work.

Not sure how often I would use the 70-200 telephoto zoom. Are members using this lens?
On trips, I take the following with the percentage of shots from each:

24-105: 70%
70-200F4: 25%
50: 5%

So yes, there are times you need the longer reach to create a nice background blur, isolate subjects, etc. If you are not sure though, that is more of a reason to get the F4 version of 70-200. That way, you can see how much you use it and how much you miss the extra brightness. If you do need the f2.8, then you can reserve the f4 for travel as I do. There is no way you would want to lug the f2.8 around on family outings.

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
Good choice. That is what I have. By world standards, it is not great btw but it is the best wide angle for a full frame canon camera that interfaces with it. Better quality comes from mod'ing medium format lenses, causing you to lose all automation.

Have it. Not a fan. Mine gets next to zero use. It is quite large and heavy. Produces really good images. However, it has a pretty short range and no image stabilization. I much prefer the 24-105 F4IS. The image quality might be a tad lower but it is so much more flexible lens that you will take tons more shots with it. You go from landscapes to portraits in one shot. With the 24-70 you will be changing lenses all the time to cover this range.

One of the best zooms Canon makes. Wonderful quality. Unfortunately, it is huge and heavy. Mine stays home most of the time. Only time it goes with me is if I am shooting low light situations like my sons graduation. Otherwise, my pick would be the cheaper, and even slightly better quality 70-200 F4 IS. This is a much, much lighter lens, and smaller to boot. It puts a smile on my face every time I use it.

I have the Mark I. Mark II is a bit faster but it is still dog slow to focus. Worse yet, it has an electronic focus ring ("drive by wire") which is totally unnatural to use in manual mode. You will not be able to capture hardly anything in motion with it. Of course, it is extremely bright and practically "makes light." Background blur is as dreamy as it can get. Best to think of this lens as a specialty lens, mostly for portraits. But if this is the application, I suggest the 135F2. It doesn't have any of the negatives of 85f1.2 and its image quality is amazing. Another, much cheaper alternative is 50f1.4. It is tiny, tiny, tiny. And it is cheap. I carry one in my pocket all the time. It is too wide though for general portrait work.

On trips, I take the following with the percentage of shots from each:

24-105: 70%
70-200F4: 25%
50: 5%

So yes, there are times you need the longer reach to create a nice background blur, isolate subjects, etc. If you are not sure though, that is more of a reason to get the F4 version of 70-200. That way, you can see how much you use it and how much you miss the extra brightness. If you do need the f2.8, then you can reserve the f4 for travel as I do. There is no way you would want to lug the f2.8 around on family outings.

Thanks Amir

I was looking at the 24-105 as it adds image stabilization and there are some good deals to be made on this lens

which flash do you use? You can answer in the thread I started

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing