Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
IMG_3091.jpeg

IMG_8566.jpeg

Last edited:

gleeds

Industry Expert
May 29, 2018
Ron, Angus, and I cannot thank you enough for making this happen! Although we have built and installed several active systems in the past, none were more fun or rewarding than this one! It's great to see active systems returning, so thanks to Florian for having the vision to develop that capability within his product line.

Back in my Lyric Hi-Fi days, when all-out performance was desired, this method was de rigueur! Many will remember the Magneplanar Tympani 4s used with three D-76 amplifiers, an EC-3 crossover, and an SP-3a pre-amplifier, not to mention the incomparable Levinson HQD system.

HQD.jpeg

Attachments

• tympany-4 .jpeg
    tympany-4 .jpeg
    4.9 KB · Views: 13

Florian

Jun 26, 2016
Switzerland
Thank you everyone for your great work! We are very happy that Cyrus continues to be a wonderful customer of our speakers. Clarisys speakers, due to ther high resolution and chameleon like sound, shows only what's infront of them or around them. For us it is great to hear all the positive feedback from clients in-home installations. Thanks again for designing great electronics, the patient setup and support Cyrus has received.

All the best

Florian

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Very very cool. The commitment to go all out from a team of industry professionals and the audiophile ownership is really unique. Great stuff. Would love to hear a video when people have time to breathe!

Puma Cat

Feb 20, 2011
SF East Bay Area
I visited my friend Cyrus in Spokane, Washington, earlier in the winter to hear his system with Clarisys Auditorium loudspeakers. At that point, I had not yet set up my Clarisys Studio Plus speakers in my listening room for Audio Café. As most of you know, I represent Clarisys Audio as their Los Angeles dealer. Hence, visiting Cyrus was the first time I would hear Clarisys loudspeakers in a home environment.

At the time, I thought Cyrus' system sounded great. But ideally, I was looking for a more bass-foundational tonal balance. I wanted something that was, to my ears, more natural and more tonally dense in the upper bass to lower midrange. Cyrus likes impactful bass and agreed with my assessment.

You may recall Keith Rochelli's extensive power amplifier audition for his Fyne F1-12 loudspeakers. I remember that we compared to his reference Linear Tube Audio amplifiers:

--First Watt SIT-3
--Luxman m400
--BAT vk255SE
-- WestminsterLab REI
-- Gryphon Essence
-- Nagra Classic
-- darTZeel 108 Mk. I
-- Vitus SIA-25

I am listing here only the solid-state contenders. There were also two or three tube contenders.

That amplifier comparison project was very interesting since I had no dog in that hunt, and I could just sit back and figure out what happened to be my favorite solid-state amplifier on Keith's speakers in Keith's system and Keith's room.

As I reported then, my favorite amplifier during that process proved to be the WestminsterLab Rei. Steve Williams raved about the Rei amplifiers in his system a while back. Our own MobiusMan switched from all VAC Statement electronics to all WestminsterLab electronics, and Keith bought the Reis after his long at-home audition process. Given those experiences with systems I knew intimately, I recommended that Cyrus try them in his system.

At that same time, Roy Gregory followed up his review of the Clarisys Auditorium loudspeakers with an extensive report on his use of six channels of amplification using an active crossover to drive the Auditoriums. See https://gy8.eu/review/brilliant-adventure/

Cyrus was excited about the sonic possibilities reported by Roy Gregory from driving each driver in the Auditoriums with its dedicated amplifier: six loudspeaker drivers and six compact monaural amplifiers.

After Cyrus had discussed Roy's report with me, I suggested that Cyrus replicate Roy's configuration with six WestminsterLab REIs. I put Cyrus in contact with Gary Leeds of Hear This, the North American distributor for WestminsterLab.

Gary consulted with Angus Leung, Founder and Designer of WestminsterLab. Angus was excited about hearing his amplifiers on big planar dipole ribbon loudspeakers. (Angus has been an Apogee Diva owner for many years and is restoring his bass panels.)

So Gary, representing Hear This, Angus, representing WestminsterLab, and I, representing Clarisys Audio through Audio Café, decided we would form a team to collaborate on installing this extraordinary system. While I cannot be sure, I believe it is the first (after Roy) actively amplified using an active-crossover system on Clarisys loudspeakers in a home environment anywhere in the world!

Thank you to Mike Bovaird, the U.S. importer for Clarisys, for supplying us with the CS Port electronic crossover, and to Clarisys Audio head honcho Florián for his advice and excellent technical support!

After AXPONA, Gary, Angus and I flew to Spokane, Washington for the installation. We spent four days with Cyrus installing six REI amplifiers, WestminsterLab’s latest Quest balanced pre-amplifier, and a complete loom of WestminsterLab cables.

Angus is a brilliant electronics designer and one of the best set-up men I have had the privilege of knowing. Angus patiently and meticulously fine-tuned the loudspeaker positioning and the cross-over settings to make Cyrus a happy audiophile! The completed system is the highest expression of the Clarisys Auditorium speakers. I suspect that Westminsterlab electronics and cabling will perform similar wonders as one moves down the line.

My thanks to Gary, Angus and, especially, Cyrus and Janet, his very supportive wife!
Well, at least Cyrus got his Clarisys speakers. I know someone who placed an order over a year ago, at last year's AXPONA, and has yet to receive them.

I agree Angus is a brilliant electronics engineer.

Reactions: gleeds

Florian

Jun 26, 2016
Switzerland
Well, at least Cyrus got his Clarisys speakers. I know someone who placed an order over a year ago, at last year's AXPONA, and has yet to receive them.

I agree Angus is a brilliant electronics engineer.
There are two people, all of whom we are in good contact with so I don't know why you would post this or what business it is of yours. The demand far exceeded our expectations.

Reactions: SeagoatLeo

gleeds

Industry Expert
May 29, 2018
Florian, having commercially built proprietary electrostatic speakers in the early 2000s, I know all too well the demands of scaling a new high-end audio company. I am sure Calrisys representatives are candid about the lead times associated with such a unique and labor-intensive product. Let's face it, folks; building precision ribbons is unlike building dynamic speakers from OEM drivers. Kudos to Clarisays for this ambitious entry into the world of high-end audio. Remain patient and be rewarded:)

Reactions: SeagoatLeo

Puma Cat

Feb 20, 2011
SF East Bay Area
There are two people, all of whom we are in good contact with so I don't know why you would post this or what business it is of yours. The demand far exceeded our expectations.
Simply stating a fact. As for "what business it is" of anyone's, it's completely reasonable that potential customers should know with accuracy what the lead time from placing their order to taking delivery is actually going be, especially, as you've just stated, that product demand may impact the length of time it takes to fulfill orders.

Last edited:

Puma Cat

Feb 20, 2011
SF East Bay Area
Florian, having commercially built proprietary electrostatic speakers in the early 2000s, I know all too well the demands of scaling a new high-end audio company. I am sure Calrisys representatives are candid about the lead times associated with such a unique and labor-intensive product. Let's face it, folks; building precision ribbons is unlike building dynamic speakers from OEM drivers.
It shouldn't take...a year, though, Gary. Cheers.

gleeds

Industry Expert
May 29, 2018
It shouldn't take...a year, Gary.
PC, Angus, and I always appreciate your comments and support! That said, I cannot comment further on a matter unrelated to the factories I represent.

Now, back to the intent of the thread intent, which was sharing a cool project with our followers, please:)

Puma Cat

Feb 20, 2011
SF East Bay Area
PC, Angus, and I always appreciate your comments and support! That said, I cannot comment further on a matter unrelated to the factories I represent.

Now, back to the intent of the thread intent, which was sharing a cool project with our followers, please:)
Agreed, Gary. My apologies for the digression. Back to the subject at hand. Cheers.

Reactions: gleeds

LampiNA

Jun 30, 2015

lscangus

Industry Expert
Oct 23, 2018
I visited my friend Cyrus in Spokane, Washington, earlier in the winter to hear his system with Clarisys Auditorium loudspeakers. At that point, I had not yet set up my Clarisys Studio Plus speakers in my listening room for Audio Café. As most of you know, I represent Clarisys Audio as their Los Angeles dealer. Hence, visiting Cyrus was the first time I would hear Clarisys loudspeakers in a home environment.

At the time, I thought Cyrus' system sounded great. But ideally, I was looking for a more bass-foundational tonal balance. I wanted something that was, to my ears, more natural and more tonally dense in the upper bass to lower midrange. Cyrus likes impactful bass and agreed with my assessment.

You may recall Keith Rochelli's extensive power amplifier audition for his Fyne F1-12 loudspeakers. I remember that we compared to his reference Linear Tube Audio amplifiers:

--First Watt SIT-3
--Luxman m400
--BAT vk255SE
-- WestminsterLab REI
-- Gryphon Essence
-- Nagra Classic
-- darTZeel 108 Mk. I
-- Vitus SIA-25

I am listing here only the solid-state contenders. There were also two or three tube contenders.

That amplifier comparison project was very interesting since I had no dog in that hunt, and I could just sit back and figure out what happened to be my favorite solid-state amplifier on Keith's speakers in Keith's system and Keith's room.

As I reported then, my favorite amplifier during that process proved to be the WestminsterLab Rei. Steve Williams raved about the Rei amplifiers in his system a while back. Our own MobiusMan switched from all VAC Statement electronics to all WestminsterLab electronics, and Keith bought the Reis after his long at-home audition process. Given those experiences with systems I knew intimately, I recommended that Cyrus try them in his system.

At that same time, Roy Gregory followed up his review of the Clarisys Auditorium loudspeakers with an extensive report on his use of six channels of amplification using an active crossover to drive the Auditoriums. See https://gy8.eu/review/brilliant-adventure/

Cyrus was excited about the sonic possibilities reported by Roy Gregory from driving each driver in the Auditoriums with its dedicated amplifier: six loudspeaker drivers and six compact monaural amplifiers.

After Cyrus had discussed Roy's report with me, I suggested that Cyrus replicate Roy's configuration with six WestminsterLab REIs. I put Cyrus in contact with Gary Leeds of Hear This, the North American distributor for WestminsterLab.

Gary consulted with Angus Leung, Founder and Designer of WestminsterLab. Angus was excited about hearing his amplifiers on big planar dipole ribbon loudspeakers. (Angus has been an Apogee Diva owner for many years and is restoring his bass panels.)

So Gary, representing Hear This, Angus, representing WestminsterLab, and I, representing Clarisys Audio through Audio Café, decided we would form a team to collaborate on installing this extraordinary system. While I cannot be sure, I believe it is the first (after Roy) actively amplified using an active-crossover system on Clarisys loudspeakers in a home environment anywhere in the world!

Thank you to Mike Bovaird, the U.S. importer for Clarisys, for supplying us with the CS Port electronic crossover, and to Clarisys Audio head honcho Florián for his advice and excellent technical support!

After AXPONA, Gary, Angus and I flew to Spokane, Washington for the installation. We spent four days with Cyrus installing six REI amplifiers, WestminsterLab’s latest Quest balanced pre-amplifier, and a complete loom of WestminsterLab cables.

Angus is a brilliant electronics designer and one of the best set-up men I have had the privilege of knowing. Angus patiently and meticulously fine-tuned the loudspeaker positioning and the cross-over settings to make Cyrus a happy audiophile! The completed system is the highest expression of the Clarisys Auditorium speakers. I suspect that Westminsterlab electronics and cabling will perform similar wonders as one moves down the line.

My thanks to Gary, Angus and, especially, Cyrus and Janet, his very supportive wife!
Thanks Ron! Is been great working with you and Gary for a few days on the system. This is the first time I have my hands on the Clarysis and it had been an amazing experience setting up the system and have ample of time for the system to settle in for a bit of fine tuning. And I think is right to say this is my first time to explore the benefits of having full active crossover in a 3-way system ( The Diva is only a 2 way active with the original matching active crossover ). Learnt so much from you guys and looking forward to our next project.

davidavdavid

Jun 30, 2014
Columbus, Ohio, USA
david.com
There was a time not so long ago when WestMinsterLabs, as a brand, was not on audiophiles' shortlists, let alone even exist.. My, how so much can happen in a short space of time. I now know personally of several installations and that, at least, tells me something. The gear, not just its sonics, but visual appeal is resonating with folks in the market.

To be fair, it would never have occurred to me that "tri-amplification" of Clarisys speakers would be a thing. I could only imagine how messy a proposition and then from the photo one sees for themselves how neat/tidy it could be. From all appearances, it is a streamlined solution, befitting the modern aesthetics of the speakers.

I do hope that sooner than later I can hear such a configuration for myself. The bottom line is that the customer is happy and no small children or furry animals were hurt in the process.

Last edited:

viola

VIP/Donor
Apr 21, 2021
Connecticut
Wow! Wow! Wow! This installation has got to be about as close to perfect as can be achieved. The room looks perfect for a large planar speaker like the Clarysis Auditorium (or similar Alsyvox or Diptyque models), with plenty of space behind the speakers. I was very impressed years ago with Siegfried Linkwitz's LX 521 active speaker demonstration at RMAF, but I did not like the quality of the Class D amplification of each driver or the digital signal processor used in the active crossover implementation. The new CSPort analog active crossover and the outstanding Westminster Lab Rei Class A amplification for each of the drivers has just got to be a match made in heaven.

Reactions: lscangus and gleeds

Mobiusman

May 24, 2010
Jersey Shore- waterside
After speaking with Cyrus at length before he received his REI's about his system design, I became totally excited as a Westminster REI, Quest and phono section customer. I use modified VSA Ultra 9's with LS 1.5 footers screwed into a new plinth and replaced a very well respected and much more expensive core electronics and knew in 10 minutes that the Westminster Rei's was the way for me to go, even though the equipment needs signal passing through them even if warm, for them to sound their best. What Cyrus does not know is how much more potential the Westminster REI's have if he switched to the Quest Preamp, and even more if he is using the phono stage, which I feed with another of Gary's products an ARS Machinae TT with a My Sonic Labs Signature Platinum cartridge that for reasons I cannot fully explain is the best sounding TT I have EVER heard, even though I am a definite straight tracker fan and have owned at least 7 straight tracking TT's. As good as my digital arm is, my analogue arm is on another level. I am so excited that my Quest is going back to Westminster for its new MK 2 upgrade and that I am adding the new external power supply, which should raise my system sound to a whole new level.

In 65 years of upgrading my sound with numerous systems, this has been truly an amazing improvement and for the first time costs less than what it replaced.

Bravo

Last edited:

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
even more if he is using the phono stage, which I feed with another of Gary's products an ARS Machinae TT with a My Sonic Labs Signature Platinum cartridge
Cyrus is digital streaming only.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing