RC Aircraft

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
It was my hobby when I was single digit old. Too much interest, too little allowance to buy much :).

That video and plane was amazing. Wonder if they serve drinks in that plane. :D

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Vancouver Island, B.C. Canada
Wow, I just watched few more after that one. Those are huge model planes, and they sound like the real ones.
...And then I watched real planes, but compilations of crashes. I got my dose now.

TBone

Nov 15, 2012
It was my hobby when I was single digit old. Too much interest, too little allowance to buy much :).

RC's were well beyond my budget then ... models, glue and paint were all I could afford.

funny cars from that time ...
SnakeIIISide.jpg

then WW2 fighters/variants.
top700.jpg .

unfortunately, none survived puberty, moving & culling ...

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
I had an "endless" project, my final one - a huge, for the time, glider that allowed RC, was a present from my grandmother. It dragged on, holiday after holiday ... and never was properly completed - other things in life took over ... :D
That was the story of my life. Gliders were cheaper so my brother and I bought this large kit. What arrived was a million sticks and instructions that no one could follow. Like you, it sat there for months with us making tiny progress here and there. Never finished it :(. That was the end of the hobby for me.

Bruce B

WBF Founding Member, Pro Audio Production Member
Apr 25, 2010
Snohomish, WA
www.pugetsoundstudios.com
RC's were well beyond my budget then ... models, glue and paint were all I could afford.

funny cars from that time ...
View attachment 26224
unfortunately, none survived puberty, moving & culling ...

I had the Snake and Mongoose cars. Pretty cool...

My planes were attached by string and would fly in a circle. I had 4 or 5 of them and put bigger motors in them and bought aftermarket propellers. I then briefly got into RC before $$ ran out. Now I'm into drones!

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
I had the Snake and Mongoose cars. Pretty cool...

My planes were attached by string and would fly in a circle. I had 4 or 5 of them and put bigger motors in them and bought aftermarket propellers. I then briefly got into RC before $$ ran out. Now I'm into drones!

COX! What a blast from the past!

WLVCA

Member Sponsor
Nov 2, 2012
Tucson
There is a remote control plane club that flies in a park near my house. Lot of cool looking planes fly there.

Tip: Never ask a remote control hobbyist about his plane(s). They can go on for hours!!!

Almost as bad as audio guys. :D

Fiddle Faddle

Aug 7, 2015
Australia
That was the story of my life. Gliders were cheaper so my brother and I bought this large kit. What arrived was a million sticks and instructions that no one could follow. Like you, it sat there for months with us making tiny progress here and there.

That was exactly my introduction to it! I still remember like it was yesterday. A local airshow - circa 1975. Bought a rubber powered kit. Opened it and wondered how the heck do you put this together. There isn't even anything to tell you how long to cut anything! Then I finally realised you built the thing literally on the plan. Still, although that model was a complete disaster I did not give up. I enjoyed the hobby up until my very late teens, after which study and work commitments put an end to it.

Best model I ever built was a large Aeroflyte rubber powered model which at the local park could stay airborne for almost a minute it could climb so high under power. I've often fantasised about getting back into it but I don't think crouching over workbenches is very good for fibromyalgia. Plus it can get expensive quite quickly. I sometimes like to peruse the hobby sites and even some of those foam prefabricated aircraft can get quite expensive. At the top end of the hobby, it can get really expensive.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing