Possible power outage for next two days

BlueFox

Member Sponsor
Nov 8, 2013
Here in Northern CA it is fire season, and our power company has caused some major fires the last few years. Since they are being sued, and have declared bankruptcy due to those fires they are into overkill trying to not start anymore fires. So, at midnight they are shutting off power to quite a large area, and millions of people, for two days. I am right on the edge of the cutoff zone, and not sure if I will be affected or not. To be on the safe side I am listening to the stereo, and drinking beer tonight. :)

BlueFox

Member Sponsor
Nov 8, 2013
I have solar. It only works during the day.

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Vancouver Island, B.C. Canada
No batteries, no natural gas generator?
_____

I have read the news earlier this morning...few articles on that to fully understand the full impact and who will be affected and the animals (zoo) and the schools closed, and way more than 800,000 people (make that millions).
They are not kidding, not taking any chances after the tragic incidents of the last few years.
https://earther.gizmodo.com/californias-largest-utility-to-shut-off-power-to-800-00-1838894553

They need underground power lines. ...And more ... many people are fuming.

"Climate change has been a massive driver of the wildfires in California, with both drought and autumn drying trends expected to become more severe, literally fueling massive blazes. UCLA climate scientist Daniel Swain told Wired that in recent years, wildfires are “burning much more land and they’re burning hotter, more intensely. And there’s a lot of anecdotal, verging on systematic, evidence that these fires are behaving differently. In the initial hours these fires are becoming explosively large much faster than they did historically.”

Another factor is increasing human settlement in areas prone to wildfires, which increase both the number of fires sparked by human activity and puts more residents and property right in the path of the blazes. California has also faced accusations of poor forest management, including a failure to perform an adequate number of controlled burns that could thin out potential fuel sources."

Last edited:

BlueFox

Member Sponsor
Nov 8, 2013
Blah, blah, blah. No

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
https://rurallivingtoday.com/generators/best-backup-power-outages/

They come in all sizes, various power requirement, solar powered, gas powered, propane powered, budget prices, priorities...OLED TV, laptop, hi-fi stereo system, cell phone, fridge, toaster, microwave oven, coffee maker, stove, AC, heat, etc.
...From roughly $200 to $5,000 depending of your most essential needs.
_____

I live up North in Canada, snow's coming up. If the power goes down I got a winter coat and tough skin.
I'm not afraid of stuff like that, even if it lasts weeks. The snow keeps the food cool.
I can live without Internet, TV, radio, music, news, forever.
It's easy to get my camping propane cooking stove, and I got tons of pure woooools blankets made in Canada.
I ain't afraid of anything, zero degree below included. I'm free (not depending on anything, anyone) and I'm super tough, made of concrete, not ice cream. :)

Last edited:

RogerD

VIP/Donor
May 23, 2010
BiggestLittleCity
Anybody notice the lack of aluminum oxide chem trails that have covered the West for many years?
Here in Reno blue skies for many months and the lack of wildfires...coincidence?

RogerD

VIP/Donor
May 23, 2010
BiggestLittleCity
So PG&E is bankrupt so they must cut service and use the excuse of bad weather. Just texted a Bay Area friend and he has heard nothing about the shutdown that will effect 34 N. California counties.
Isn’t de regulation wonderful. A public utility should be regulated by a non corrupt entity to protect and insure the public good.

RogerD

VIP/Donor
May 23, 2010
BiggestLittleCity

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
I truly don't know Roger, but it's worth exploring...I think.

They say whoever controls telecommunications ... 5G ... becomes the next world business leader.
But you need power to your wireless electronic devices, to charge the batteries.

I've never read anything about who's controlling the planet's climate. Maybe it's classified, too alarming for the public?
The Amazon forest, the fires ... now they have some rain ... good.
The Amazon people living in the jungles, no good all those fires.
Brazil ... I'm reading the latest ...

RogerD

VIP/Donor
May 23, 2010
BiggestLittleCity
Well it’s been clear skies here for months and I love it. As far as a improvement in wildfire numbers and limited destruction only time will tell.

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
When I've first read the mews news this morning, and now because Bud mentioned it in this new thread; I was like that's very unusual.
I understand last year's immense tragedy, and they are now taking extreme precautions.
Is it going to be the new norm? That's a whole new changing lifestyle for many...people and animals too (zoo).

Is it truly the solution? I don't know.

The blue skies in Reno, Nevada sounds inviting, I might try my luck. :)

* Edit: Typo ... "news" and not "mews" with a "m" (intéressante faute d'orthographe).

Last edited:
Reactions: RogerD

dan31

Jul 22, 2010
SF Bay
Sad state of affairs in Northern California. I’m on the edge of the shutdown.

Hopefully they can find a way to get the power lines underground over the next 100 years. Until then it’s generator time for lots of people.

Listening to local news and the wind has taken down a few power lines in Napa county.

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Underground powerlines ... that's all ... intelligent financial infrastructure @ the service of resourceful human protection in his environment. IMO

The money is there; California has a quarter of the richest people in America living there...worth $700 billion.

"The Golden State’s economy remains the country’s largest, with a GDP of $2.97 trillion in 2018, dwarfing its nearest rival, Texas, which has an economy about 60% the size of California’s. The unique combination of highly skilled workers, world-class universities, and deep-pocketed investors — all in close proximity to one another — has lured countless entrepreneurs to California from every corner of the globe."

https://www.forbes.com/sites/giacom...le-live-in-california-heres-why/#3efc014253b5

Last edited:

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing