Platter mat preferences!

Johnny Vinyl

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
The mat on my Nottingham is made from a high-density foam, my 2 Revolver TT's use a felt mat and an old, old, old Pioneer uses a rubber one. Each of these mats react differently due to their composition, and I was wondering what some of the advantages/disadvantages are/were between the various options. Since not all platters are the same I would assume that foam may work well on one, but not necessarily on another and so on.

cjfrbw

Apr 20, 2010
Pleasanton, CA
You already know there is no generalization. I am able to tap my records to determine a decent degree of feedback resonance across the surface.

Every player will have a different solution. Experimentation is mandatory.

Start with inexpensive felt and/or leather mats ($30 on ebay), that may be as far as you need to go. 1.5 to 2mm leather seems to be a popular mat solution.

JackD201

[WBF Founding Member]
Apr 21, 2010
Manila, Philippines
Millennium, carbon side up for me.

kach22i

WBF Founding Member
I have an Audioquest SorboGel mat on my old Dual belt turntable which dramatically increases the sound stage size and depth.

I removed the felt mat over the original rubber mat on my DD Technics for better sound. The VTA was off as a result, so I used the old Dual rubber mat on top of the rubber Technics mat and it worked better than expected.

I'm interested in hearing if any brass or copper platters from the likes of Micro Seiki and others see an improvement if anything rubbery (or leathery) is placed on them. The idea of placing a record on bare metal is a little scary at first. However the direct coupling to a softer metal as a concept is very compelling to me.

Millennium, carbon side up for me.
http://www.musicdirect.com/p-3239-millennium-carbon-fiber-record-mat.aspx
View attachment 8104
MILLENNIUM - CARBON FIBER RECORD MAT

Price: $349.00
that price seems a bit..............stiff.:p

JackD201

[WBF Founding Member]
Apr 21, 2010
Manila, Philippines
It came with the turntable so the price of the mat wasn't stiff. The price of the turntable was. LOL.

kach22i

WBF Founding Member

TBone

Nov 15, 2012
That's what I consider a good review/article, simply because it focuses on one specific turntable/mat(s) synergy, which is totally system dependent, and does not come to any absolute conclusion. With my specific 'table, a thin leather mat proved best, however ... the continuing refinement of that turntable soon changed my perception & criteria for using mats altogether, or more specifically, sans mat, and the pros & cons of coupling the LP direct to platter/turntable/environment.

tb1

edit ... removed the word "benefit" in place of "pros & cons".