Pilium Audio in action-

itay123

Mar 5, 2023
I forgot to mention that this song is incredible to listen to and to test any system. Happy Friday listening everyone :)!

One of the setups I must hear !
I have no doubt, that the reproduction of LIVE instruments and LIVE music is no less than PERFECT! in A setup in this
caliber

Regarding the Digital Chin/DAC comments,
unfortunately I'm not a fan of DCS either,
I've never understood the enthusiasm for this company, SORRY.
however I trust sonrock's ear; you can see it by the choice of his equipment, which is one of the best there is...

By the way did you try MSB...?

I took "one" for DEMO two days ago, I haven't connected yet...
Really soon!

greetings
itay.

7bd4a25e-16f8-45e4-9413-08e4c309f3b6.jpeg

sonrock

Apr 15, 2013
Hey Itay, no I have not. I missed a chance to try the msb select 2 dac here last October because it coincided with my wife gave birth to our 3rd child and I’d have a week or so with it so I couldn’t make it.

In addition msb doesn’t have a transport like the dcs vivaldi that I need to play my CD collection, especially SACD ones so I went for the dcs in the end.

Today at the deluxe show, the engstrom tube amps and wadax are excellent in providing a warm and relaxing sound from the Kroma speakers. I asked the Wadax distributor to loan me his boxes when all the shows are over but surely they’re out of reach for me at the moment unless I find a new job that allows me financially haha.

And thank you for your kind words, it’s great if you can listen to the system yourself one day :)

Reactions: itay123

itay123

Mar 5, 2023
Hey Itay, no I have not. I missed a chance to try the msb select 2 dac here last October because it coincided with my wife gave birth to our 3rd child and I’d have a week or so with it so I couldn’t make it.

In addition msb doesn’t have a transport like the dcs vivaldi that I need to play my CD collection, especially SACD ones so I went for the dcs in the end.

Today at the deluxe show, the engstrom tube amps and wadax are excellent in providing a warm and relaxing sound from the Kroma speakers. I asked the Wadax distributor to loan me his boxes when all the shows are over but surely they’re out of reach for me at the moment unless I find a new job that allows me financially haha.

And thank you for your kind words, it’s great if you can listen to the system yourself one day :)

You are right, there is no real Transport solution,

I work with a very fine SERVER, from Request Audio, which between the two companies (Request & MSB), there is an operational and design relationship,

The goal (Among other things) is to demo, the Pro ISL connection I have on the SERVER along with the MSB patent.

I believe, friend, that in the future we will meet.

Reactions: sonrock

sonrock

Apr 15, 2013
How is the msb select 2 dac going Itay?

My old friend bought the innous statement 2 boxes last year since we came back from Munich but still not connected to his system yet after 10 months.

I will have it here for a week to try and see how things go. Should be great fun as it’s one of the best servers for streaming.

sonrock

Apr 15, 2013
Hello Sirs,

As posted earlier, I asked JongHyun from Hifistay to send his flagship footers, Absolute Point, to me and try here directly in my system. He's very kind and did send me one set with all the caps from standard stainless steel, bronze and pure coppers. As he had to give the rest to his dealers, so he will send me another set later when coming back to the UK from South Korea.

My first impression when opening the case is the footers are very well built, top class quality indeed. And as JongHyun requested, I tried the standard stainless steel caps first with all 4 footers went underneath my cd transport. Although he said it'd take 24-48h for the footers to settle down, but when I first listened to them I could immediately spot the differences. The sound becomes more relaxing, soundstage goes a bit deeper and wider but somehow less slam and dynamic as the tradeoff.

When I switched to the pure copper caps, my system has regained its dynamic and slam immediately while still make the sound very relaxing. It's just incredible that those stuff revealed things I had not spotted before in the same track that I'm very familiar with. With the new tweak, I can hear the melody of the very lowest notes being played softly and gently by the bass guitar alongside the powerful drums/kicks.

Everything is there within the recording in the first place but I don't know why those stuff had never caught my attention until I have the footers and caps underneath my digital boxes. Because it's really easy to be drawn into and overwhelmed by the drums as they are incredible so everything else becomes trivial or blurry.

I did have a goosebump when I listened to that track and recognised that, effortlessly and naturally, my system has gone up a notch by revealing something seem obvious with the help of those footers and pure copper caps. I can see that the sound becomes even warmer and more musical. In the lowest notes, bass was a bit deeper while letting them decay a bit longer, just a tiny bit but I can feel the changes. The staggering experience I had at that moment led me thought that I'd gone mad or my brain was heavily tweaked.

The impacts are more significant when I split the set of 4 into 2 to use underneath both my cdt and dac. However, it's really unstable for my heavy cdt when it was supported by only 2 footers, especially when the tray opened/closed, so for H&S I put all the 4 footers back under my transport.

Because of the very positive changes made in my system, I didn't bother to put the special bronze caps on. But JongHyun insisted that I should try them and I went ahead. Actually, the impacts brought about by the bronze caps stay between the stainless steel and pure coppers ones, that means they produce a very natural, relaxing but neutral sound. They are more dynamics and slam than the stainless steel but less warm and deep in bass compared to the copper caps. So my obvious choice is to put those copper caps back and enjoy the music.

Prior to this point, I had never tried to research about isolations and see what they can do to a hifi system, especially with scientifically understandable ways; nor ever tried isolations in my system although I'm using TOTL racks and platforms from a well known UK brand. But with what the Absolute Point footers from Hifistay are doing their magical tricks here, I'm not sure how things can be better when I receive another set from JongHyun to place them underneath my dac.

Enjoy the weekend everyone with beautiful music.

Last edited:

itay123

Mar 5, 2023
Hello dear friend, very pleasant to hear your experiences,

Regarding the SELECT 2 comment's
I wish I had the ability to contain SELECT 2 at this point in life, but I'll probably "settle" for a slightly lower level, still testing and listening a lot before deciding one way or the other.

By the way, the SELECT 2 is in my wet dream list with 2 more DACS from other brands that I would really like to try at my place,
but not every local distributor is comfortable, in terms of listening at the customer's home and/or payments and payment methods.

BTW, I had the chance to talk with someone I really appreciate in this field, and someone I trust,
After he claims hearing "almost" everything, and worthy of discussion and the at highest levels, he said that the PILIUM set at the same level as yours POLARIS + ZEUS/ATLAS, a set among the best he has heard and experienced.

WOW

Last edited:
Reactions: Bobvin and sonrock

itay123

Mar 5, 2023
One of the setups I must hear !
I have no doubt, that the reproduction of LIVE instruments and LIVE music is no less than PERFECT! in A setup in this
caliber

Regarding the Digital Chin/DAC comments,
unfortunately I'm not a fan of DCS either,
I've never understood the enthusiasm for this company, SORRY.
however I trust sonrock's ear; you can see it by the choice of his equipment, which is one of the best there is...

By the way did you try MSB...?

I took "one" for DEMO two days ago, I haven't connected yet...
Really soon!

greetings
itay.
I received from the local distributor some modules to test, will test today.

Last edited:
Reactions: sonrock

Rhapsody

VIP/Donor
Jan 16, 2013
Brooklyn NY
Rhapsody.Audio
Pilium Leonidas integrated amplifier driving the Magico Silver A5's at Axpona 2024. The room was packed all day on Friday. Looking forward to a fun Saturday and Sunday.

Also a pic of the new Magico S5 2024 on static display.
437930910_891245933041897_3950871324296982886_n.jpg
IMG_6031.jpeg

Last edited:

AudioLibertarian

Dec 25, 2017
NEW YORK CITY
Pilium Leonidas integrated amplifier driving the Magico Silver A5's at Axpona 2024. The room was packed all day on Friday. Looking forward to a fun Saturday and Sunday.

Also a pic of the new Magico S5 2024 on static display.
View attachment 128679
View attachment 128680
I visited that room today and I have to say that much to my amazement the Magico A5 sounded lush. Can't recall hearing "lush" and Magico in one sentence. However in this case the sound was something special indeed. Even outside of the sweet spot the soundstage was just enveloping in all directions and musical textures exuded subliminal qualities of dare I say best dipole speakers! I have to conclude that the main credit for such transformation must go to the PILIUM amp, as I ve never heard ANY MAgicos sounding this "musical", even when used with Convergent tube amps! Also, whoever was running the room played quite an excellent music. I thought I saw Bob Brooklyn sitting in the darkened corner, but could be mistaken.

In a related note, I visited Rhapsody's room straight after visiting Massimo's Bowers Wilkins 801D4 Signatures demo using Classe amps, and from Focal's flagship speakers using 180 grand Naim Statement amps. In both of those rooms I could not stay for longer than couple of minutes, as their sound was an epitome of modern hi-fi scull drilling trends that passes for the state of the art resolution for folks whose hearing has been shot.. I so wished these two companies would forego their corporate egos& pride and demo these great speakers with the Pilium gear, or some real good tube amps so that those of us who have some of our hearing left intact would appreciate the full potential of both the 801D4s and the Focals. Naturally, all of the above is in my non-humble opinion.....

Attachments

• IMG_6353.JPG
    IMG_6353.JPG
    667.9 KB · Views: 7
Last edited:

itay123

Mar 5, 2023
I visited that room today and I have to say that much to my amazement the Magico A5 sounded lush. Can't recall hearing "lush" and Magico in one sentence. However in this case the sound was something special indeed. Even outside of the sweet spot the soundstage was just enveloping in all directions and musical textures exuded subliminal qualities of dare I say best dipole speakers! I have to conclude that the main credit for such transformation must go to the PILIUM amp, as I ve never heard ANY MAgicos sounding this "musical", even when used with Convergent tube amps! Also, whoever was running the room played quite an excellent music. I thought I saw Bob Brooklyn sitting in the darkened corner, but could be mistaken.

In a related note, I vistited Rhapsody's room straight after vistiing Massimo's Bowers Wilkins 801D4 Signatures demo using Classe amps, and from Focal's flagship speakers using 180 grand Naim Statement amps. In both of those rooms I could not stay for longer than couple of minutues, as their sound was an epitomy of modern hi-fi scull drilling trends that passes for the state of the art resolution for folks whos hearing has been shot.. I so wished these two companies would forego their corporate egos& prides and demo these great speakers with the Pilium gear, or some real good tube amps so that those of us who have some of our hearing left intact would apreciate the full potential of both the 801D4s and the Focals. Naturally, all of the above is in my non-humble opinion.....

I just had a conversation with a good friend who visits there,
and claims similar things

Last edited:

mxk116

Mar 24, 2022

In a related note, I vistited Rhapsody's room straight after vistiing Massimo's Bowers Wilkins 801D4 Signatures demo using Classe amps, and from Focal's flagship speakers using 180 grand Naim Statement amps. In both of those rooms I could not stay for longer than couple of minutues, as their sound was an epitomy of modern hi-fi scull drilling trends that passes for the state of the art resolution for folks whos hearing has been shot.. I so wished these two companies would forego their corporate egos& prides and demo these great speakers with the Pilium gear, or some real good tube amps so that those of us who have some of our hearing left intact would apreciate the full potential of both the 801D4s and the Focals. Naturally, all of the above is in my non-humble opinion.....
I can say that, as someone who was using Classe Delta amps as a place holder during the pandemic to power my Magico A5’s I agree with your statement regarding the “epitome of modern hi-fi” sound. I think it’s a bit dramatic to characterize that sound as scull drilling but I think I understand what you imply.

I too am an admirer of Pilium but find their size and weight unacceptable (as I do with other electronics manufacturers that require, in my opinion, exorbitant size and weight to achieve their sonic objectives). I eventually found the WestminsterLab Rei mono block amplifiers in my search for a partner to pair with the Magico A5 both sonically and in the form factor I prefer. I achieve similar musicality to that one hears in the Magico room you describe without the need of palletized freight or assistance of others to move them. I am grateful that “out of the box” (enormous box, that is) thinking has allowed designers to achieve the wonderfully dynamic, transparent, tonally dense and musically engaging sound I seek.

There were a few rooms I listened to at AXPONA 2024 that immediately relaxed me during my time there. They had the ability to stimulate my nervous system by saying “stay, you are safe here” rather than “run away, escape, you are in danger.” The Magico room had some that with the Pilium (and I’ve experienced that in previous rooms combining Magico and Pilium). The Amphion Krypton 3X/Esoteric room, Stenheim/Dartzeel room and Goebel/Riviera/Wadax (Bending Wave) room are 3 others that had it as well. In my home I am grateful that I can achieve it as well with the Magico and WestminsterLab Rei amps. And when I recently installed the WestminsterLab Quest preamp I can say I am enjoying music in a very safe and satisfying place.

AudioLibertarian

Dec 25, 2017
NEW YORK CITY
I can say that, as someone who was using Classe Delta amps as a place holder during the pandemic to power my Magico A5’s I agree with your statement regarding the “epitome of modern hi-fi” sound. I think it’s a bit dramatic to characterize that sound as scull drilling but I think I understand what you imply.

I too am an admirer of Pilium but find their size and weight unacceptable (as I do with other electronics manufacturers that require, in my opinion, exorbitant size and weight to achieve their sonic objectives). I eventually found the WestminsterLab Rei mono block amplifiers in my search for a partner to pair with the Magico A5 both sonically and in the form factor I prefer. I achieve similar musicality to that one hears in the Magico room you describe without the need of palletized freight or assistance of others to move them. I am grateful that “out of the box” (enormous box, that is) thinking has allowed designers to achieve the wonderfully dynamic, transparent, tonally dense and musically engaging sound I seek.

There were a few rooms I listened to at AXPONA 2024 that immediately relaxed me during my time there. They had the ability to stimulate my nervous system by saying “stay, you are safe here” rather than “run away, escape, you are in danger.” The Magico room had some that with the Pilium (and I’ve experienced that in previous rooms combining Magico and Pilium). The Amphion Krypton 3X/Esoteric room, Stenheim/Dartzeel room and Goebel/Riviera/Wadax (Bending Wave) room are 3 others that had it as well. In my home I am grateful that I can achieve it as well with the Magico and WestminsterLab Rei amps. And when I recently installed the WestminsterLab Quest preamp I can say I am enjoying music in a very safe and satisfying place.
The Westminster gear is lovely sounding as well. There are few solid state amps that are also very liquid sounding. I share your issues with Pilium's size, as I no longer can easily lift a 150 pound box by myself, however me thinks Piliums' corporate motto probably is: Buy our amps once, place them on the stand and you have no need to move your gear for an eternity, hehehe. For obsessive and frequent gear churners like some of us, Pilium's weight and size, and electrical requirements of 20A lines is a headache. However in the end, I think with some speakers (like B&W 800 series) it very well may be worth it.

Last edited:

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing