Pianist Mulgrew Miller Dead at 57

mauidan

Member Sponsor
Aug 2, 2010
Pukalani, HI
MM.jpg

Mulgrew Miller, a pianist renowned for his power and precision in straight-ahead settings, died May 29 in Allentown, Pa. Miller had suffered a stroke a week earlier and had been hospitalized. He was 57. Miller’s professional career began in the mid-’70s when he joined the Duke Ellington Orchestra (then led by Mercer Ellington, son of Duke). Miller also spent time accompanying singer Betty Carter (1980), trumpeter Woody Shaw (1981-83) and as a member of Art Blakey’s Jazz Messengers (1983-86). In 1986, Miller joined drummer Tony Williams’ new group, which initially also consisted of Wallace Roney, trumpet; Donald Harrison, alto sax; Bobby Hutcherson, vibes; and Ron Carter, bass. Miller appeared on five of Williams’ recordings. He also appeared on recordings by Kenny Garrett, Freddie Hubbard, Joe Lovano and dozens of other artists. He recorded more than 15 albums as a leader, beginning with 1985’s Keys to the City.

I can highly recommend all of his recordings on MAXJAZZ:

http://maxjazz.com/miller/

Last edited:

24bit

Jun 14, 2013
Miller/Nhop rip

yes he will be missed.
I have his recording with the late great dane,NHOP on bass
Playing Duke Ellington/Jimmy Blanton.
NHOP sometime tended to overplay but Mr.Miller brought out the best in him.
There was a beautiful chemistry between the two.To my knowledge it it their only recording.

mauidan

Member Sponsor
Aug 2, 2010
Pukalani, HI
Ordered this one today, when I saw Mulgrew Miller on the piano. Might be one of his last live recordings.
watt_SL34joemags_COVER1.jpg

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing