Pass Labs XP-17 gain setting

Ivodam

Dec 31, 2022
Hi everybody,

Does somebody have any experience about the gain settings of the phono XP-17, in the following aspect: I am curious what happens if none of the three switches is activated. Just no music at all, or maybe music with lower level?…

AMR / iFi audio

Industry Expert
Aug 21, 2019
UK
ifi-audio.com
Hi,
Those switches change lots of parameters including gain, input capacitance and cartridge loading. I highly recommend you not to mess with them unless you lear more about cartridges and phono preamps :)

Ivodam

Dec 31, 2022
Hi,
Those switches change lots of parameters including gain, input capacitance and cartridge loading. I highly recommend you not to mess with them unless you lear more about cartridges and phono preamps :)
I know everything about these settings, do not worry. :)
I think it would be strange if somebody would buy some unit, costing 5000 USD and would not know how to make use of it.
The problem here with the gain is that it starts at rather high level even for MM cartridges- 56 dB. Most phono preamps have 40 dB gain for MM, which is reasonable. With XP17 and the Passlabs X1 preamp and XA25 power amp I have now the situation that the music is rather loud even at position 01 of the volume control of the preamp. I like to listen to jazz music at low levels late in the evening and this is really a bit of a problem.
I was thinking that maybe with the gain switches if you leave all three in 0 position, there will be a lower gain, but nope…

AMR / iFi audio

Industry Expert
Aug 21, 2019
UK
ifi-audio.com
I know everything about these settings, do not worry. :)
I think it would be strange if somebody would buy some unit, costing 5000 USD and would not know how to make use of it.
The problem here with the gain is that it starts at rather high level even for MM cartridges- 56 dB. Most phono preamps have 40 dB gain for MM, which is reasonable. With XP17 and the Passlabs X1 preamp and XA25 power amp I have now the situation that the music is rather loud even at position 01 of the volume control of the preamp. I like to listen to jazz music at low levels late in the evening and this is really a bit of a problem.
I was thinking that maybe with the gain switches if you leave all three in 0 position, there will be a lower gain, but nope…
Oh, I must have misunderstood your point, sorry.

You would be surprised to see many newbies getting some really high-level gear as first setup.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing