Panasonic Professional Line Plasmas

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
The big difference with pro products is that they are built for reliability but might lack some consumer features such as HDMI (DVI is offered which is just as well but requires a different cable or adapter), and on-board sound and speakers. Things like stands may be optional too.

What I do like about them is that they usually have a simple bezel rather than the big glossy ones they sometimes put on consumer sets. They sometimes have better picture adjustments in the menus.

When I was shopping for my own set, my guys spoke very highly of this line. I researched it some but don't recall why I passed on it. I think it was because I was too damned cheap to spend the money on it :).

On cost, PM me and I can see if I can look up the true cost for you.

caesar

May 30, 2010
The big difference with pro products is that they are built for reliability but might lack some consumer features such as HDMI (DVI is offered which is just as well but requires a different cable or adapter), and on-board sound and speakers. Things like stands may be optional too.

What I do like about them is that they usually have a simple bezel rather than the big glossy ones they sometimes put on consumer sets. They sometimes have better picture adjustments in the menus.

When I was shopping for my own set, my guys spoke very highly of this line. I researched it some but don't recall why I passed on it. I think it was because I was too damned cheap to spend the money on it :).

On cost, PM me and I can see if I can look up the true cost for you.

Thanks, Amir. Looking at the list price, I don't think I justify the pro set, but I was just curious about what the extra money buys you.

I am just trying to decide between the consumer versions of Samsung and Panasonic at this point. However, I am not much of a videophile to tell the difference between the two, but upon reading the other thread, I will go to Best Buy with a more analytic mind frame to judge the two. I was watching the hockey playoffs earlier this week on my Samsung plasma, and I saw a guy crawling on his knees and picking up his white toooth off the white ice, after getting high sticked. I was pretty impressed!!! If Panasonic is better than Samsung, all the better as I already have my "video nirvana". I think that the design of the TV and its ability to fit into the decor will probably be the deciding factor.

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
Hockey is a tough one on Plasma. All that white floor means that it will turn down brightness to compensate, giving you gray instead of pure white. Also, the high relative contrast between the ice and players means that even if the set doesn't have high contrast, it will look like it does. So both of these point to LCD as the choice for that application, than plasma.

BTW, a lot of the higher cost for Pro Penny is the margin for dealer channel. Consumer sets are sold at little to negative margin so the comparison is not quite fair in that regard.

caesar

May 30, 2010
Hockey is a tough one on Plasma. All that white floor means that it will turn down brightness to compensate, giving you gray instead of pure white. Also, the high relative contrast between the ice and players means that even if the set doesn't have high contrast, it will look like it does. So both of these point to LCD as the choice for that application, than plasma.

BTW, a lot of the higher cost for Pro Penny is the margin for dealer channel. Consumer sets are sold at little to negative margin so the comparison is not quite fair in that regard.

Thanks. Hockey is not the only think I watch. But I will do a comparison on my LCD that is in my kithcen.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing