Once Upon a Time in America

Bill Hart

May 11, 2012
There is yet a further restoration of this film- apparently more footage was found and added, yielding a 255 minute film. I saw the film in its 'uncut' form when it was first released, clocking in at around 229 minutes, I think.
I loved this movie, despite some lack of coherence, it rings all my bells.
Here's a link to a site discussing the latest restoration effort, which I gather, is not part of the blu-ray that was released last year.

http://www.onceuponatimeinamerica.net/restoration.html

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Vancouver Island, B.C. Canada
---Topnotch flick which is part of my favorite 'Once Upon A Time ...' Film Trilogy, ever,
by Sergio Leone. :b

3. '... In America' (1984).
2. '... The Revolution' (1971). --- A.k.a. 'A Fistful Of Dynamite' & 'Duck, You Sucker!'
1. '... In The West' (1968).

* The Blu-ray (which I have of course) is 229 minutes long.
- But I heard that there could be an additional 40 minutes added to that,
which will make 269 minutes total; or 4 1/2 hours!
And if they do, I am convinced that a future Blu-ray (Full Restored Cut) is in the cards (eventually). :cool:

http://www.blu-ray.com/news/?id=6007

And by the way, that Sergio Leone Film Trilogy is even more my favorite than Peter Jackson's LOTREE own Film Trilogy. :b
LOTREE is #2, for me.

Terry E.

Aug 25, 2012
The Home of the Brave
Love the original "uncut" version. One of the best films ever and now I want to see it again.

Northstar, I just ordered Once upon a time in the West from our local library. It's the 2003 paramount release (not a blu-ray)

Bill Hart

May 11, 2012
Love the original "uncut" version. One of the best films ever and now I want to see it again.

Northstar, I just ordered Once upon a time in the West from our local library. It's the 2003 paramount release (not a blu-ray)

I love the opening scene in West, with the fly, and the creaky sign, sweat dripping off the gunman's face. It is so Sergio Leone.

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Vancouver Island, B.C. Canada

---Hi Terry,

Please, call me Bob, that's my name.

- I have both 'Once Upon A Time In America' (Warner Brothers) and 'Once Upon A time In The West' (Paramount) on Blu-ray (and DVD too). ...'Once Upon A Time ... The Revolution' a.k.a.
'A Fistful of Dynamite', 'Duck, You Sucker!' (MGM); on DVD only. ...The Blu-rays of these two titles are very inexpensive now.

If you have an hi def HDTV flat panel video display or front projector,
Blu-ray is the BEST way to go (and for the hi res audio as well). :b

And by the way, '... In The West' is probably my favorite Western of all time. Yes it is! :b

Last edited:

rblnr

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
May 3, 2010
NYC/NJ
This is an all time favorite of mine, have seen it six or seven times at least. Some friends saw the restoration at Cannes and said it looked great (a new 4K master was made as was done with the recent Jaws restoration and it looks fantastic) and the added stuff is worthwhile. Heard it might open in NYC in the fall, if so, I'll be there.

And yeah, the last year's bluray is the original time shifting version that was released in the States after the studio-mandated shorter chronological version release bombed.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing