Not sure our wireless Carkeys are secure

FrantzM

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Hi

I haven't researched the subject enough to be defintive about it. I recently was the victim of a burglary. Last week I purchased, drop them in the trunk and went back to buy some more stuff and see a movie. I left the items in the car trunk... I went to my hotel and opened he trunk to pick them . Strange, they weren't there... I put that on the account of having forgotten those items while shopping for other stuff and.or misplacing them somewhere at the mall.

Today I went to another place where I purchased a few suits and shirts, dropped the purchased items in the trunk and went back to the store (Nordstrom) to pick up something I had forgotten...
Came back and found my trunk open with two guys picking up stuff from the car.. When they saw me coming they fled not before having subtracted my trunk with a substantial amount of US currency.
The car was DEFINITELY locked and so was the trunk. Now I realize that they may have found a way to copy/clone those wireless car keys. Those wireless keys may not be as secure as we think.
Caveat emptor

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
Sorry to hear that Frantz. Regardless of the loss, one feels violated when such theft occurs.

And yes, the encryption method has been broken for a number of cars and people have built equipment to capture and playback the stream to unlock the car. Probably a bigger problem in larger cities.

One solution is to get a shielded pouch that limits the transmission power so the fob will still work but only at close distances.

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
That sucks Frantz!

Amir, those pouches exist? Where can they be found?

BlueFox

Member Sponsor
Nov 8, 2013
So far, hijacking remote keys is just a hypothesis. However, it is a good idea. :)

FrantzM

Apr 20, 2010
At a personal level, I try as much as possible not to have someone hit me twice: So I have somewhat put this incident in the back of my mind as far as the items are concerned although I found out a few minutes ago that they got my iPad too.
My greatest concern is the fact that all my cars use that kind of "key". We have come to rely a lot on these wireless things to lock our houses, not questioning for a second if those devices are secure. I wanted to warn the collective about that false of security.

FrantzM

Apr 20, 2010
Hi

Researched the subject a little more: You better be careful. I wonder what the insurance companies will have to say about this.

A few URLs

LINK 1 CLICK HERE

LINK 2 CLICK HERE

LINK 3 CLICK HERE

There were many more hits when I googled Car keys Hack ...

Barry2013

VIP/Donor
Oct 12, 2013
Essex UK
It has become a significant problem in the UK.
Range Rovers have been particularly vulnerable and insurance companies have been placing significant conditions on their willingness to insure these in London where the problems have been greatest.
Landrover have been subjected to considerable pressure by the insurance companies to change and improve their wireless locking systems and I presume they are working on that

jfrech

VIP/Donor
Sep 3, 2012
Austin
Holy smokes. Thanks for posting. And VERY sorry for your losses. Just glad it was stuff vs a person...

Mosin

[Industry Expert]
Mar 11, 2012
I was unaware Frantz was storing bodies in the locked trunk...lol

Whenever there is a "substantial amount of US currency" in a trunk there is almost always a body, too. Don't you watch movies, Christian? :D

Frantz, What make of car do you have?

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing