No original box ? A custom flight case to the rescue !

Elberoth

Member Sponsor
Dec 15, 2012
Poland
I had to comission a flight case for the FM 122 phono. I had the original carton box, but the packing material was missing, so I decided to go this custom route.

I'm happy I did, as the flight case looks milion times better and costed me only ... $150. Yes - one hundred fity bucks. That is probably not much more than shipping the original packing material (styrofoam) from Switzerland would cost alone. I cannot understand why more manufacturers do not use them (I remember I had once a Classe Omega preamp that came with such a case) - afterall, it gives the component a certain exclusivity.

Anyhow, I think it is a great route for anyone selling his expensive hi-end gear, who lacks the original box. And in case gear is made outside the US, shipping the original carton from Europe or Asia would probably cost well over $500. Shipping a case from Poland to the US would probably cost around $250, so 150+250 = $400 - still may be cheaper than sourcing the original one.

9ZXc9U.jpg

bskDgZ.jpg

gIjMfB.jpg

The case size is 45 x 38 x 23cm.

The packing material was CNC matchined from a big block of foam. As you can see - it follows exactly the shape of the component.

The logo on the top cover is plotter engraved - not painted ! Looks super cool.

My next project is to make casees for my MSB monos, as the original cartons came a bit damaged in shipping when I first got them.

Manufacturer's web site for those interested: www.az-cases.pl

I'm not affiliated with the manufacturer. Just a happy customer.

Last edited:
That's pretty clever approach. I bought a CNC machine from a guy and asked him what he did with it. He said his #1 business by far is making the foam for guns! Didn't think of applying the same to equipment boxes.

The packing material was CNC matchined from a big block of foam. As you can see - it follows exactly the shape of the component.

The logo on the top cover is plotter engraved - not painted ! Looks super cool.

My next project is to make casees for my MSB monos, as the original cartons came a bit damaged in shipping when I first got them.

Manufacturer's web site for those interested: www.az-cases.pl

I'm not affiliated with the manufacturer. Just a happy customer.

How did they match the foam's shape to the component without having the component?

I actually went there with the component. But you can send them a drawing with all dimensions.

Hi Adam

You had me tempted with that FM122 phono stage. I owned one about 15 years ago but sold it stupidly.

Glad you have sold it as I don't need to think about it any more ;)

That's beautiful, Adam, and inspires confidence. :cool:

Nice casing, especially for that price. Looks good as well.

@Elberoth: How did the Classe Omega preamp perform? I am thinking of getting one, to pair with my dCS Paganini dac.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing