Nightcrawler

still-one

VIP/Donor
Aug 6, 2012
Milford, Michigan

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
As the season wears down I am trying to see films where there is some Academy Award Buzz. This film seems to have Jake Gyllenhall as a possible Best Actor nominee in this film

Suffice it to say the short description by still-one above pretty much says it all. His performance was indeed creepy but truly believable and I can see a nomination but not the win as so far he will have to get by Benedict Cumberbatch, Eddie Redmayne and Steve Carell to name but a few. JK Simmons IMO has so far given what I thought was the winning performance but I am now seeing him as Best Supporting which I find strange. So similarly Steve Carell who I thought would be a Best Supporting nominee but some recent nominations suggest him as Best Actor

Nighcrawler is an eery movie and very dark and at times difficult to watch due to Jake Gyllenhaal's performance.

From MRQE.com.........

An ambitious young crime journalist probes the dark underbelly of L.A. in this cynical urban drama that marks the feature directorial debut of screenwriter Dan Gilroy (Real Steal, The Bourne Legacy). Lou Bloom (Jake Gyllenhall) is a petty thief in search of a payday when he stumbles onto the scene of a grisly car accident, and witnesses seasoned "Nightcrawler" Joe Loder (Bill Paxton) gathering video footage for the local news broadcast. Convinced that this is a career he could excel at, Lou promptly purchases a police scanner and a cheap video camera, and hits the streets. In short order Lou has hired an assistant (Riz Ahmed) to help him navigate the city streets, and started selling footage to local TV producer Nina (Rene Russo), one of Joe's regular buyers. As fast learner with an eye for detail, Lou isn't above manipulating a crime scene in order to get a picture that tells a story. When Lou beats the police to the scenes of a deadly home invasion in an affluent neighborhood, however, his shocking footage catches the attention of two homicide detectives who suspect he's hiding evidence that could be crucial to their investigation. Meanwhile, that footage may be just what Lou needs to enter the big time

Parts of this story are absolutely riveting. I enjoyed it more so than my wife but for you guys it is a good 2 hour film.

heard they beat you over the head with the point- true?

False....IMO they developed Lou Bloom's character to be an absolute psychotic individual who will stop at nothing to film his news story first

8.1 rating on IMDB
95% rating on Rotten Tomatoes
79% rating on MRQE

Definitely a thumb's up recommendation

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing