NHB-108 Model Two vs. The 458...

Mike Lavigne

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 25, 2010
which wins overall?
both are thoroughbreds that get out of the way of the music and allow a system to really shine. and lifetime keepers.

personally i would prefer the 458 mono blocks. the 458's will have a slightly better, more special first watt, and will handle musical flow, authority, space and scale better. the bass will be slightly better in terms of weight and agility. and the 458's can be upgraded to 468's.

the 108 Mk2 is in the same league mostly, and has a touch more musical texture and mid range tonal density, and is a bit more tube like....just a 'bit' more.. and it's not a long way behind the 458's in the other areas.

the greater grip of the 458 does deliver some slightly higher levels of nuance.

choice of speakers and room size also might be a factor. the 108 Mk2 can handle most any speaker, but there are degrees of 'handle'. the 458's can work with most any speaker and room size.

the 458's are my second most favorite amp, the 108 Mk2 my third most favorite. either would be a stellar choice.

Last edited:
Reactions: Tabl10s and asiufy

fbhifi

Dec 20, 2013
Okatie, SC
You’ve asked a really hard question! I’ve owned the 458s, 108 MK II and currently own the 468s.
The 468s are definitely the best- they are the total package. The 108 MK II is tonally closer to the 468s than the 458s, however, they don’t have the effortless majesty of the 458s. If your speakers are highly efficient I would save some $$ and get a 108 MK II. I don’t think used 458s are worth three times the price of a used 108 MK II. But as Mike notes, the 458s can be upgraded to 468s. A tough call that comes down to $$, as is usually the case.

Whatever decision you make, they are all incredible SS amplifiers.

ashandger

Jun 14, 2013
Another possibility is get one 108 mii first and then add a 2nd later for vertical biamping....assuming speakers allow. Have been told that this elevates the performance very nicely and I noticed that Dartzeel and Stenheim used this at a show in Belgium (I think) recently with Stenheim Reference Ultime 2. This is something I am considering when I upgrade next.

asiufy

Industry Expert/VIP Donor
Jul 8, 2011
San Diego, CA
almaaudio.com
I would also go with 458s, but having lived with a 108 mkII the past couple of weeks, I have to say the upgrade over the already fantastic mkI is not insignificant.
It is now a truly "universal" amp, and can drive tough loads with a smile (and no blinking!).

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing