New top DS Audio

gian60

Apr 17, 2016
I saw the photo of the cartridge and phono of new top DS Audio cartridge,from italian distributor,but he forbid me to put in some place,DS Audio forbid him.
Photo you can see also in monoandstereo of the cartridge
Phono has better quality component and has an external power supply,2 boxes same construction and dimension.
Price not fixed but he thinks from 30 to 40.000 usd

joeling

Jan 8, 2014
My Master 1 not even fixed yet and already replaced by another top model :mad:

gian60

Apr 17, 2016
Some photos,
phono has external power supply

Attachments

• IMG_2055.jpg
    IMG_2055.jpg
    58.4 KB · Views: 17
  • IMG_2056.jpg
    IMG_2056.jpg
    31.2 KB · Views: 18
  • IMG_2058.jpg
    IMG_2058.jpg
    58.1 KB · Views: 17

gds7368

VIP/Donor
Jan 9, 2015

scot

Jan 4, 2018
Hi everyone
I getting a new analog front end in the near future. When it comes to the cartridge, I’m not sure if I want to buy the traditional MC cartridge with a step up transformer into a phono preamp or, do I want to get the newer DS Audio Grand Master cartridge with one of their middle/middle upper power supply/eq’s? It was very clever of them to make any power supply/eq work with any of their cartridges. I’m leaning towards their new flagship Grand Master cartridge with their DS W2 power supply/eq for starters until I can afford their Master power supply/eq, unlikely I’ll ever be able to afford the Grand Master power supply.

My local dealer has this exact combo on display on an AMG Forte table with an 12JT tonearm. When I was at the store the last time he asked me if I wanted to hear what he described as the best analog sound he’s ever heard. Unfortunately, I didn’t have time to listen and had to leave. When I asked him what he thought of the sound quality his answer to me was this “I never knew analog could sound this good”. Now he has been selling high end audio for over 45 years and specializing in analog and he’s also not the type of guy who exaggerates. Hmmm, No step up or phono preamp needed and the best sound quality he’s ever heard? You better believe I’m going to go back to take a listen. If anyone is interested in hearing this combo, the store is in Morton Grove Il. (a suburb north of Chicago) The name of the store is Quintessence Audio.

I was wondering if anyone is running this combo or similar or has heard this new cartridge? Thank you.

Scot

Reactions: Audio Addict

gajgmusic

Apr 9, 2013
I have heard this cartridge a number of times. I have to say, it stopped me in my tracks. The best I have heard, and honestly the best I have heard an audio system reproduce music. I don't post a lot but saw this and was so impressed I wanted to reply.

gds7368

VIP/Donor
Jan 9, 2015
I have heard this cartridge a number of times. I have to say, it stopped me in my tracks. The best I have heard, and honestly the best I have heard an audio system reproduce music. I don't post a lot but saw this and was so impressed I wanted to reply.
Very interesting! What was the rest of the system?

scot

Jan 4, 2018
Hi gajgmusic

The system is an AMG Viella Forte turntable with their 12JT “Turbo” tonearm the cartridge is the Grandmaster and he’s running it with the $8500.00 W2 power supply/eq. When I asked him to describe the sound quality, his answer was, and I quote, “I never knew analog could sound that good”. This is coming from a guy who’s been selling high end audio for 45 years and specializes in analog! Gotta get back in there to take a listen.

Scot

gajgmusic

Apr 9, 2013
Scot

Sounds like a lovely system.

gds

I have been able to hear it in mine and one other. I have a DPS 3 with a Schroder arm. I have been using Emmlabs DS-Eq1 Optical Equalizer. I have an Emmlabs PRE preamp, Karan Monoblocks and Piega CL 120 x speakers with mostly Crystal cables.

I would echo his sentiments. My comparison cartridge is an Ortofon MC A90 and a Tom Evans Groove + SRX. That combo is still wonderful but the Grand Master/ Emmlabs is just unbelievable. I have never heard a system sound this way.

Reactions: gds7368

gajgmusic

Apr 9, 2013
Having spent the afternoon listening, bad weather here, I have found a problem with the Grand Master. In the past, I would often listen and read - catch up on things I had wanted to read during the week. Its quite relaxing. That is no longer possible. Seriously, I have tried and the music is really riveting. I am listening to Milstein and the Dvorak Violin Concerto and its stunning.

Reactions: Audio Addict

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing