New to WBF!

JeffH

Feb 8, 2012
Hello all,

Been lurking for a couple weeks now. Seems like a very congenial group with a good level of knowledge. Really don't know what I can add though. I seem to be on a learning quest mostly...

Just getting into the computer audio thing and I must say it's fairly confusing. Not so much the individual component technology, but how things work together and the options available, which seem to be many.

I'm using an older Gateway 830GM PC running XP, Hiface USB converter > Cal Audio Sigma 24/96 DAC > VTL 2.5 preamp. Currently and mostly because I'm just learning the whole thing, I have long runs of really terrible ratshack cable. Both digital and RCA. I've kept the USB cable at approx 1 meter. The sound is okay, but not great. No cutting out, pops or clicks even when multi tasking!

So far, I've managed to downloaded approx 400 cd's to WD 1tb USB hard drive with another for back up. Using dbpoweramp to rip and JRiver 16 to manage. I really dig JRiver, but have not tried others.

The options or avenues of approach are amazing. But just want to keep it as simple as possible.

Laptop / NAS or ripping NAS / Newer DAC (possibly W4S I w/ upgrade caps). Don't know which of any of those to choose....yet!! And of course some sort of remote control.

Anyway, good to meet all of you!!

treitz3

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 25, 2011
The tube lair in beautiful Rock Hill, SC
Hello, Jeff. While I personally can not assist you on computer related configurations, I can welcome to the forum. Grab a seat, enjoy the conversation and make yourself at home.

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
Hi Jeff. Welcome to the forum. Your setup up to Hiface look good. I looked up the measurements for your DAC: http://www.stereophile.com/content/california-audio-labs-sigma-ii-da-converter-measurements

Seems like its resolution maxes out at 17 bits which is not all that great for a DAC. There are also some other anomalies there. So it is probably a good unit to target for upgrade in the future :).

How long is your S/PDIF run? The quality of that cable matters. It should be a cable made for that use and not audio cable. Long runs of that will reduce its bandwidth and increase jitter which in turn raises distortion.

Mike

VIP/Donor
Jan 28, 2012
Madison, New Jersey
Hello all,

Been lurking for a couple weeks now. Seems like a very congenial group with a good level of knowledge. Really don't know what I can add though. I seem to be on a learning quest mostly...

Just getting into the computer audio thing and I must say it's fairly confusing. Not so much the individual component technology, but how things work together and the options available, which seem to be many.

I'm using an older Gateway 830GM PC running XP, Hiface USB converter > Cal Audio Sigma 24/96 DAC > VTL 2.5 preamp. Currently and mostly because I'm just learning the whole thing, I have long runs of really terrible ratshack cable. Both digital and RCA. I've kept the USB cable at approx 1 meter. The sound is okay, but not great. No cutting out, pops or clicks even when multi tasking!

So far, I've managed to downloaded approx 400 cd's to WD 1tb USB hard drive with another for back up. Using dbpoweramp to rip and JRiver 16 to manage. I really dig JRiver, but have not tried others.

The options or avenues of approach are amazing. But just want to keep it as simple as possible.

Laptop / NAS or ripping NAS / Newer DAC (possibly W4S I w/ upgrade caps). Don't know which of any of those to choose....yet!! And of course some sort of remote control.

Anyway, good to meet all of you!!

Welcome aboard!
Mike

Audioseduction

Dec 6, 2010
FLORIDA
What is your budget?

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing