New Spectral phono - wish list

ack

VIP/Donor & WBF Founding Member
May 6, 2010
Boston, MA
I wanted to start a thread to provide feedback on the upcoming new phono preamp. From what I have heard so far, I saw reason enough to pull my pre-order, because I am not convinced it will work for me without first seeing and hearing the unit. I can't get an ETA on it either.

1. At the top of my list is balanced in and out. Their top line preamps the last 20 years offer a single in and out balanced module, and I always thought this input singularity was meant for sources that make perfect sense to run balanced, and a phono preamp is a natural for that
  2. Extremely low noise floor
  3. Easily configurable gain and loading; taking off the cover is reasonable enough
  4. Multiple inputs
Feel free to add yours.

jazdoc

Member Sponsor
Aug 7, 2010
Bellevue
Not to encourage thread drift...

Ack, you certainly seem to be a valuable/loyal Spectral customer. I would expect/demand an in-home demo prior to such a costly purchase. That way you will know for certain whether this piece fills your criteria.

ack

May 6, 2010
Boston, MA
Right on... loyal but not stupid...

docvale

Mar 21, 2011
Briarcliff Manor, NY
Despite I'll never be able to afford such an expensive piece of gear, as a vinyl lover and Spectral fan I am curious about this product.

I don't know if a full-balanced design would be an interest for the Spectral engineers. It is still not clear to me why they build a full balanced architecture for a CD player, and then they put just unbalanced outputs.
Also, their flagship preamps sport both XLR inputs and outputs, by, AFAIK, only the output stage is truly balanced. Notwithstanding, they recommend unbalanced connections between their preamps and power amps (which, theoretically, are based on a full balanced design). :confused:

Instead, I think that their phono stage should be equipped with multiple inputs, possibly with a low-gain one to be used by the fans of step-up transformers.
I wish it may be controlled by front panel botton, rather than doing surgery inside the chassis :)

What else? Well, to be super-good! ;)

dan31

Jul 22, 2010
SF Bay
I have been waiting for news on the phono pre as well. I would be ok with single ended design to keep the parts count low and the quality high. One input is fine for me. I would like to see custom loading as an option, similar to the top naim stage. Perhaps custom loading to be specified as an option when ordering.

I am satisfied with my Ayre for now. I have an interest in the tempo electric phono pre and may audition one in the future. Sim Audio has a purist design out in the 810.

The Boulder 1008 may meet your requirements Ack. I have a feeling the Spectral phono you would like to see would be comparable in price.

ack

May 6, 2010
Boston, MA
Interesting you have the Ayre as well; exceptional unit, a little noisier than the best out there. The Boulder is OK; I expect the Spectral phono to cost less than their top line preamp

rockitman

Member Sponsor
Sep 20, 2011
Northern NY
Pass XP-25 meets most of your requirements inlcuding sounding great
  1. At the top of my list is balanced in and out. Their top line preamps the last 20 years offer a single in and out balanced module, and I always thought this input singularity was meant for sources that make perfect sense to run balanced, and a phono preamp is a natural for that
    Balanced & single ended outs and 2 single ended inputs. Not sure why balanced in is required. Most high end phono wires are single ended rca
  2. Extremely low noise floor Pass has that covered.
  3. Easily configurable gain and loading; taking off the cover is reasonable enough gain, loading capacitance and input select all available on the front panel
  4. Multiple inputs Pass has 2 (rca) switchable from front panel.
Feel free to add yours.

IMO, Pass offers the most flexiblity and ease of adjustment over any phono stage out there. Just my 2 cents.

docvale

Mar 21, 2011
Briarcliff Manor, NY
Balanced inputs may be better as they are seconding the intrinsic balanced nature of a MC cartridge. Purely theoretically (meaning I haven't done any test and I may be totally wrong :rolleyes:), I'd prefer balanced input and RCA output, in the case I could pick only between XLR->RCA or RCA->XLR.
Once the MC signal has been amplified and equalized, it will be at line level, so the beneficial effects of a balanced design may be less relevant. :confused:
That's why I'm fascinated by the Zesto Audio phono stage: it uses XLR input for the MC cartridge, going to a step-up transformer (which, per definition, should keep the signal balanced), and then is followed by a single-ended output stage.
I guess that a balanced output stage, apart of allowing the use of longer cables to the linestage, gives 6db of gain more than the RCA output, so, sounding louder, may sound better. But if the linestage is transparent and good (like Ack's one) I wouldn't see the necessity.

Obviously, this is rigorously IMHO :)

ack

May 6, 2010
Boston, MA
Pass XP-25 meets most of your requirements inlcuding sounding great

IMO, Pass offers the most flexiblity and ease of adjustment over any phono stage out there. Just my 2 cents.

Thanks. I have to listen to this one day. XLR is a bit less noisy, and cartridges are naturally balanced sources. I run the Ayre balanced in and out, noticeable noise-reduction difference, even if small at that.

ack

May 6, 2010
Boston, MA
Ack, what do you know from Spectral about their new phono stage?

I am just not getting any feedback on my requests to the dealer, and I can't get an ETA; hence my frustration.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing