rblnr

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
May 3, 2010
NYC/NJ

rblnr

May 3, 2010
NYC/NJ
Think it was $650, so quite a step up price-wise. Sensor has close to 3x the surface area though of that in the S100.

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
I think the price is way too high. The sensor is still quite small for such high resolution camera. Let's see how the final tests come out.

rblnr

May 3, 2010
NYC/NJ
It is expensive, but would rather have it (assuming good performance which I expect it to have) than, say, a Canon G1x which is $800 with the same size sensor, but no way pocketable.

For me, there are three types of cams that make sense: Something S100 size-wise (others such as Oly XZ-1 and the Sony) i.e truly pocketable, a mirrorless where you save a lot of weight vs. a DSLR but get many of the features and interchangeable lenses, and then DSLRs of course.

On that note, would like to get an Olympus OM-D before I go overseas at the end of the month, but they're not avail anywhere.

rblnr

May 3, 2010
NYC/NJ
I should add a fourth type of cam to the above, and that is the iPhone 4S. Pretty amazing photo quality given that it's only fractionally a camera, and it's nearly always with me.

rblnr

May 3, 2010
NYC/NJ

KeithR

VIP/Donor
May 7, 2010
Encino, CA
Interesting article Bob, thanks.

What do folks around here think of the V1 segment of the world? I recently chose an S100 over such a camera as I couldn't justify the incremental price of the V1 which costs more than a decent DSLR. It just seems like 6-800 for a non-DSLR camera is tough to swallow.

the Nikon 1 commercials are cool though.

Last edited:

rblnr

May 3, 2010
NYC/NJ
Interesting article Bob, thanks.

What do folks around here think of the V1 segment of the world? I recently chose an S100 over such a camera as I couldn't justify the incremental price of the V1 which costs more than a decent DSLR. It just seems like 6-800 for a non-DSLR camera is tough to swallow.

the Nikon 1 commercials are cool though.

Haven't shot with one so take w/a shaker of salt, just played around with in a store, but didn't like the ergonomics at all. You have to go thru menus to set aperture or shutter priority operation for ex., the S100 has mechanical dial to accomplish this -- much quicker and simpler.

The J1/V1 seem to be geared for P+S people moving up rather than more experienced photographers/hobbyists looking for something smaller. Many of us hoped Nikon would come out with something more enthusiast in orientation -- they still might -- but that's not what these appear to be. I believe the sensor size of the S100 is pretty close to what Nikon calls their CX size (in J1/V1) -- I think the Canon has better ergonomics, but lack interchangeable lenses. I understand though the the IQ is quite good for the sensor size.

I know the J1/V1 are being discounted now, so you may find a deal. I'd bet some new models for the system by Photokina in Sept. I recently bought an Olympus OM-D, much bigger than either but significantly smaller/lighter than my DSLR. Just a bit of use, but I'm happy so far. Will be taking on a trip later this month and plan to really work it out.

rugyboogie

May 30, 2010
Vancouver, BC
Picked up the Sony RX100 in August in Portland OR on my way to Mogfest.
Have a Canon S90 and was looking at the S100 to replace my old 90. To replace the 90 the camera has to be pocketable.
Local stores here in Vancouver said that the 100 has had issues all fixed under warranty but you loose the use of it for a 2 month period.
DP Review had a good report on the Sony as did Rangefinder forum, bought the Sony.
The Zeiss lens on the Sony lens is very sharp. Screen is very bright even in bright sun light.
Sony can be programed for full manual, shutter or aperture priority.
Picture Q is very good, better that the 90. The Sony ergonomics are a little different to use that the Canon, but you get used to it.
Wife loves the Sony, better that her Canon D20 that has been her main camera for years.
One thing that drives me batty is the bottom hinged door for the SD card slot and the battery is to easy to open by accident.
Also added a Richard Franiec camera grip to the Sony, had one on the Canon too.
For small p&s cameras, Richards grips are a very good investment.
Otherwise very very happy with the RX100.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing