New ML Ethos speaker

vinylphilemag

WBF Founding Member
Apr 30, 2010
Kelowna, BC
www.vinylphilemag.com
Yeah me too but I think the CLX is about double the list price of the Summit?

Nope, it's a bit less than that. The Summit-Xs list for about $15k, whereas the CLX starts at around $22k. Amongst many other things on my audio wish-list, a pair of CLXes (to replace my Spires) is something I lust after!

RUR

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
SoCal
I stand corrected, Rich. I'd thought new X's were more like $13K. Both of the CLX pairs I've heard were more than $27K, but I s'pose they went thru the custom shop. Used X's have been running $8.5K, with same CLX $15-16K, so that's about 2X.

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
Double the price of the Summit X, used or new. Original Summits are an insane bargain right now.

Thing is and you can drive yourself crazy with this, I'm not sure that we have heard, because of the speakers resolving capabilities, what they can really do :) I know the person who bought my Prodigys was thrilled beyond belief with their sound.

RUR

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
SoCal
Myles, you're running CJ pre and amps, no? What's your digital front end, if any? Room treatment?

/Ken

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
Myles, you're running CJ pre and amps, no? What's your digital front end, if any?

Hi Ken,

Yes I am; the GAT/TEA 1bc and ART amps at the moment. As far as digital, haven't really put much money into it in years. (that money has gone into the table and a R2R deck.) I'm still using the Altis Audio tube DAC and Altis transport. They still sound darn good and bought some Tele ECC82s to run in the DAC-but haven't listened in ages. There aren't too many DACs out there with a better midrange. If I need SACD, have a Sony SCD-1. Imagine some day will get around to upgrading the digital front end but there's still a lot of flux happening in the digital arena.

Room treatment?/Ken

It's an unusual room with columns in two corners that help a little bit to break-up room nodes. The room actually extends into a hall and kitchen that effectively makes the room longer than it seems. As far as room treatment, have some plants in corners as well as Cathedral sound labs panels. Also am using some room tunes to break up some room nodes in the middle of the room.

Answer is: really need a better room but have really gotten a lot out of the present digs! Better than anyone would expect. Funny thing about rooms that learned from Art Noxon years ago. You can't predict how a room will sound. Had the speakes set along the long wall in the old apt. and it shouldn't have worked. Then Art told me that they had done some experimenting and found out one can get good sound out that sort of arrangement. All I know is that I had a huge soundstage since there probably was at least 6-8 feet on either side of the speakers. My present room doesn't allow for that configuration so am using the "traditional" method of arranging speakers.

nsgarch

Apr 20, 2010
Yeah me too but I think the CLX is about double the list price of the Summit?
Myles, was I not clear? I was suggesting something smaller than the CLX and perhaps even cheaper than the Summit (after losing the woofer enclosure cabinet and all the fancy ss electronics and crossover for the cones.) What did you think I meant?

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
Myles, was I not clear? I was suggesting something smaller than the CLX and perhaps even cheaper than the Summit (after losing the woofer enclosure cabinet and all the fancy ss electronics and crossover for the cones.) What did you think I meant?

Sorry wasn't quite sure after reading your post :) Who in their right mind wouldn't want that!

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing