New Blog - The Retirement Diary

BobM

Feb 5, 2014
Long Island, NY
I finally did it - I stopped working and I started a blog about preparing for and entering retirement. I hope to explore all those wonderful topics like approaching that threshold, preparing financially, exploring relocation, keeping busy, buying or selling a house, dealing with family, etc.

Please visit the site and leave your comments and suggestions. I would love to hear about topics that interest you, or corrections and additions to my posts, especially from those of you already in retirement.

http://theretirementdiary.com/

There's a place on the right margin where you can sign up to receive automatic e-mail updates when I post a new article.

Enjoy,
Bob

rbbert

Dec 12, 2010
Reno, NV
The only differences I can see between life before and after retirement are more (potential) financial limitations after, countered by the fact that work will no longer get in the way of life ;)

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
The only differences I can see between life before and after retirement are more (potential) financial limitations after, countered by the fact that work will no longer get in the way of life ;)

I completely agree

Johnny Vinyl

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
I'm actually considering going back to work on a P/T basis for the social interaction. Part of that is due to the fact I'm in a new city and don't know anyone outside of my own circle.

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Vancouver Island, B.C. Canada
The main thing is to find peace all around...retired or not. ...I think. ...Lots of love, travels, meeting beautiful people, wildlife, outdoors (nature, mountains, lakes, oceans, ...), gardening, cooking, music, movies, ...all that jazz. :b ...Family? That too.

No excess...everything with moderation...with internal and external zone of ecstasy/comfort...peace and relaxation...before the ultimate departure into the heavens, forever.
...Out of the city, away from all noises...surrounded by the bird songs, the winds, and the ? we love listening to.

Finances? ...Plenty of it is good...but being free of it too is even better. IMO ...Not let take it over.

? Way to go Bob! ...Enjoy life...stress-free...eat well...exercise...sleep well, keep in shape...physically and mentally.

BobM

Feb 5, 2014
Long Island, NY
Thanks for all your support guys. I have a variety of topics I plan to cover in time:

- a lot of financial stuff, since I worked on Wall St for 35 years this part is easy to write about for me
- relocation is heavily on our mind right now, so I will be covering that as we explore our options
- lots of advice as I find it and talk to others already in retirement
- buying and selling a house, an expansion on the relocation as we attempt to actually do this
- keeping busy
- keeping a budget
- social security
- medical and insurance issues
- diary posts, of our adventures, thoughts and whimsical things during our journey

Keep the suggestions coming, even though I have a lot written already I will always need topics, thoughts and suggestions for the future

I'm glad you all subscribed. Makes me feel like this is worthwhile.

Bob

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Subscribed. So far, my transition has been smooth and satisfying. Hoping there are no blind spots.

Lol, :D ...with that good sense of humor Kal there shouldn't be.

Smooooooooth...that's a good slip into positive territory. I like the sound coming out of my speakers to be "smooth" ... it helps in times of retirement into a satisfying transition. :b

* Money helps; it gives us a good thumbs up. :b

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
Congratulations Bob! (And I subscribed.)

You are way ahead of me. At least you have concluded you stopped working. I have been struggling since 2008 to figure out if I am retired or not.

Ron Resnick

Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
Enjoy life...stress-free...eat well...exercise...sleep well, keep in shape...physically and mentally.

That all resonates with me, Northstar, except the "stress-free" part. On balance I have had more stress ever since I stopped working at a full-time job than I had at that job.

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
That all resonates with me, Northstar, except the "stress-free" part. On balance I have had more stress ever since I stopped working at a full-time job than I had at that job.

The biggest art to master on this planet is the art of retirement...it takes a a great deal of mental dexterity...IMHO. And the only time that we can reach the ultimate summit, apotheosis, is in the afterlife.
But before that, it is possible to reach a verisimilitude...in particular when we practice day-to-day (one day @ a time) living.
Use/put all our energy into our passion(s), and let no one distract us (the toughest part). It takes big sacrificing above our own comprehension and the ones from others.
It is feasible...but not 24 hours a day, 365 a year. Our mind has to be extremely strong...and we have to rise above all outside (human) influences. ...I very think so, more now than ever. ...As yesterday is gone and as tomorrow will take care of all itself without us pushing it towards it.

That's my own vision and practice in life myself...the rewards are enormous...total liberation...but the downfalls have just the total opposite results...extreme depression.
And that's why we cannot let anyone interfere in the way we want to retire (it's our life, our surroundings, our people we live with), even more so than during all our working years.
Life depends more on how we relax than how we stress.

Some friends suggested to me; Robert write. I am.

Ron, I loved my job when I was working...it was like dancing with nature.
Now I dance even more in harmony with it...closer. What our eyes are seeing and our ears are hearing are our passage-way to full retirement mode...stress-free...if we put our mind naturally into it, without trying and without working on it. It sounds weird and that's one secret in doing what we love to do the most...and for free (no paycheck)...for only our true freedom and wisdom, personal guaranteed satisfaction.

Most people cannot; they have to keep working, keep busy physically...they cannot keep busy mentally without losing it.
But look @ people like Einstein and the rest of the gang...the greatest scientists in the course of Earth's history from the very beginning of times.

My philosophy: We are who we think we are, and we can accomplish anything that our mind wishes for...even total fulfillment into retirement time in our own space.
And that, is a personal adventure for each one of us...the greatest adventure of them all because everything behind is already gone.
Time is infinite, space is defined by the universe's own boundaries, only In The Now is real ... and the ahead reach of that moment.

I know, for 99% of the population it totally sounds crazy...and that, is the biggest challenge...to rise above it all...even from our own conventional thinking and even more so from the conventional thinking of everyone else.

Let me ask you this Ron: In which moment(s) are you the most relax/free/@ ease with yourself and the rest of the world...in that ultimate comfort zone?
Then just practice it all the time in your retirement time...even when you're still working. I truly believe that...and to do it freely, by your own choice and not from obligations and all that stuff jazz.

Hey, you like Opera music? ...Me I do and when I listen to it I'm all alright. ...And I don't think about tomorrow and yesterday, I'm in the Now and in the Matter.

Be happy, with what you don't have, and have no desire to acquire it. ...But mostly, be proud and happy of who you are and in your search of perfecting yourself. Communicate with all people from all backgrounds, and give yourself freely 100% to all and everything.
It's not what we have, it's who we are. ...Who am I? Anything, anything @ all that I truly want to be in all my heart, soul and mind.
Anything else is just cheap whiskey, superficial, without existence, without solid foundation. If we think that we are somebody important because we have an important job, a nice big home, many nice toys, a beautiful looking wife and children, a big bank account, ...that we are smarter than the rest...there are some disappointing news for us @ the end of that tunnel. We are only as best as we remain calm @ understanding the world that we all live in, including ourselves.

The toughest part in life is...the retirement time. And the best time is the retirement time. So the best is the toughest of the toughest from all the rest.
It's a humorous way of speech. :b

Last edited:

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Oh, one more thing; it is in moments of total relaxation that we see most clearly, and listen contemplatively with all our emotions.

And what better times to relax then when totally retired and free of all life's obligations and conventions and pre-conditions. ...Not a given for 99% of all the 7.35 billion people living on this planet, approximately...the 99%. ...In my best guessing estimation, or close enough.

* Yesterday I started a new thread...about an undiscovered new tribe living in the Amazonian jungle. They have nothing to learn from our civilization...best to leave them alone in peace. Peace is retirement, retirement is peace.

Last edited:

Barry

Member Sponsor
Jan 7, 2012
Somewhere near Philadelphia, USA
I retired last year from a great job that was very personally (and financially) rewarding in so many ways. I was pretty successful professionally by most measures and well regarded I think, and had little more to accomplish. I had devoted almost 100% of my life to my work (no kids) and really had neglected a lot of things including my family. I had some fears about being bored, or in some way, not fulfilled. It really was time to do something else and something really worthwhile. Thankfully, I was somewhat prepared for my retirement as about 20 years ago, I was serious injured in a cycling accident. I had 4 years then to reflect on what's really important in my life. One of my hospital rooms overlooked a cemetery, perfect for reflection....

I would suggest anyone approaching this new phase in their life to do the same. Think about what would make you happy before you take the retirement plunge, and set yourself some goals for the first few years or so. Retirement is also a personal journey. I can't imagine being stressed, but being a little apprehensive is totally understandable and a good thing. If you are reasonably financially set and your health is ok, your possibilities are limitless. If you are not sure about those things, get them in order first. Your time is now your own. It's all up to you. Perhaps I should go join that tribe in the Amazonian jungle (they wouldn't have me), but there's so much to do and so little time so have fun!

Last edited:

Ron Resnick

Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
Dear Bob,

Thank you very much for your thoughtful and clearly heartfelt essay. I truly appreciate it!

Please know that I do understand what you wrote and I am getting better about being more in your frame of mind than my original, more stressed frame of mind. (An explosion of expenses and the collapse of some energy investments has caused a bit of a relapse this year.)

I was an executive at a hedge fund in Manhattan and I do value some of those things you find vacuous and superficial. But I agree with your overarching philosophy.

I literally have simply adopted the view of people close to me who know everything about me. They conclude unanimously that despite some issues I am "living the dream." So I have gotten better about suspending my view and simply adopting the view of my close friends. Their view is now my personal narrative ("we are who we think we are," as you wrote), and I am happier every day, almost no matter what happens.

Thank you, again, for your encouraging and heart-warming post. I appreciate you explaining how you have come to peace and happiness at this point in your life.

Last edited:

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Different crowd. I need to keep working for the next 25 years to buy three big rooms with three different dream systems

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
"Living the dream" ... that says it all Ron.

What is the dream? ;-) ....Living in a perfect world with all perfect people. :-D ...Happiness aplenty for all, all children on Earth. ...The impossible dream. Hope for all the children...is retirement. ...Work for all the children...is fulfillment. ...There is no rest...only when we feel empty...I feel empty.

* I understand how the world works...and with the people in it. ...Retirement is blindness in sort of a way...into the world's own mechanism that we create.
I am simply sharing ideas, without frontiers.
Awareness is retirement. Search of our true identities is retirement. All what we do and don't is retirement. There is no absolute retirement...only in our own life in the comfort of our own entourage.

We all do our best...we try. I would love to live in a perfect world, with all perfect people.
I respect all the years that I worked hard. I respect where it brought me. I stopped watching the news on TV a long time ago...and yet they still reach me...the power of the internet.

Bob started this thread...and I know many people who are retired...right where I live...my very next neighbor...he worked for a big insurance firm...he travels often with his wife...right now he is on his tractor working on his land...right beside where I am right now...outside on my deck.
His name is Jim...best guy around...and always busy doing landscaping, irrigation, 'tracting' on his tractor, travelling, fixing things...that's just the way he is. I don't know his exact age...I guess around 70-75.

Me best body, right on the other side is a painter in his retirement time...right now he is in Ireland with his wife...revisiting his sources.

All great folks doing their retirement time on their own time...with the families they raised...the new grand grandchildren...providing the best they can with what they can...doing their best.

We talk about the world...and we share our thoughts on everything. We all do our best with what small power we have to help the rest.

Yes, we retire from all of our working years...and what remains is what we have accomplished.
We are all privileged here in our country...not everyone is so lucky.

I am just sharing my thoughts...because I am retired and I got time.
Earlier I said my work was like a dance with nature...but it was also a struggle @ times...with the natural elements and the human nature.
And I loved challenges...all kind...and I learned within the challenges how it works differently for each person.

Retirement is expression, revelation, relaxation, sailing, travelling, cooking, music listening, gardening, everything except working for a paycheck.
Planning for retirement is what I live all my live for. I'm all in now. I didn't know it until recently...time to master the art. :b

Ok, I won't talk anymore now...I want to hear Bob in his road to retirement, our OP...his blog is fun...I need more time to spend there.
...And other members in theirs. ...With all they have and don't and all they feel...living the impossible dream. :b

Last edited:

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing