New Bill Evans Recordings released

treitz3

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 25, 2011
The tube lair in beautiful Rock Hill, SC
Hello, Lee. I see that Amazon will be releasing it on June 12, 2012. Is there another place to where one could obtain this or is that the official release date? I haven't heard of this cat but I'm always open to recommendations just like this. If I'm not mistaken, it looks like it will be available on 3-disc vinyl and a 2-CD set. The CD's are at 18 smackers and the vinyl is at roughly 60 smackers. I haven't seen what the digital and e-booklet offerings cost. I'd be interested in the vinyl and/or the CD.

Oh, thanks Ron - via - Lee! :)

Tom

hvbias

Jun 22, 2012
New England area
I've had my vinyl set for about a week and listened to it twice. It's a terrific box set, I would rate the sound quality about a 7 out of 10. I think the claims from the producer that it could be one of Bill Evans finest from a sound quality point of view is a bit exaggerated. The Steve Hoffman remastered 45 rpm vinyl from the Complete Riverside Recordings sounds better.

As far as the music goes it is absolutely a 10, and it's wonderful to hear Bill play at a more frantic pace than usual. He really gels with this live band.

The vinyl is pressed at RTI and plays quiet.

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
I've had my vinyl set for about a week and listened to it twice. It's a terrific box set, I would rate the sound quality about a 7 out of 10. I think the claims from the producer that it could be one of Bill Evans finest from a sound quality point of view is a bit exaggerated. The Steve Hoffman remastered 45 rpm vinyl from the Complete Riverside Recordings sounds better.

Basically agree. Don't think the sound is anything to write home about (5/10 for me) and far superceded by many of Evans' other recordings [the standard of course it TTP 15 ips reissue of Waltz for Debby; only question is when the hell are they going to give us the companion recording Sunday at the Village Vanguard????). The 45 rpm reissues or the original black Riverside are the ones to look for (good luck finding a used jazz LP in playable shape! :( ).

Sadly, the miking technique sucks and is amateurish and the sound varies from track to track. That said, the piano sounds like Schroeder's piano, the stand up bass barely comes across and the drums sound flat.

I think the dumbest thing said is that quote from the recording engineer about how most jazz recordings are not recorded close enough. Yeah let's put that mike inside the piano. Let's shove that mike inside the bell of the sax. And where's the mike on the bass? Not a whole lot of low frequencies on this recording, snap, etc. We know who's had the last laugh when it comes to jazz recordings. Can't believe the reviewer for Stereophile bought this BS hook, line and sinker.

As far as the music goes it is absolutely a 10, and it's wonderful to hear Bill play at a more frantic pace than usual. He really gels with this live band.

The vinyl is pressed at RTI and plays quiet.

The surfaces on mine were a bit mottled. Any new Evans recording is news but I think jazz diehards will argue whether this was Evans' best trio :)

Bill Hart

May 11, 2012
Didn't the bass player die in a car crash? He was on some of the early records?

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City

rbbert

Dec 12, 2010
Reno, NV
When I read the Stereophile review I don't get the impression at all that he approves of the recording technique. He quotes from the liner notes and comments on improving sound quality the farther not the recording you go; I didn't read anything indicating he was impressed with the recording method.

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
When I read the Stereophile review I don't get the impression at all that he approves of the recording technique. He quotes from the liner notes and comments on improving sound quality the farther not the recording you go; I didn't read anything indicating he was impressed with the recording method.

I don't think he criticized the sound at all but I'll read it again. The passage you're pointing out is when Baird (?) mentions that the due to having to set the mikes up very quickly for the first set, the recording engineer didn't have very much time to test it out. So the first two cuts are really subpar but the sound improves as the engineer fiddles with the miking, balance, etc. Still not good enough. A Rudy van Gelder it isn't. A Roy Du Nann it isn't. A Val Valentin, Bob Simpson, Jack Higgins or Columbia jazz recording team it isn't. :(

rbbert

Dec 12, 2010
Reno, NV
I don't think he criticized the sound at all but I'll read it again. The passage you're pointing out is when Baird (?) mentions that the due to having to set the mikes up very quickly for the first set, the recording engineer didn't have very much time to test it out. So the first two cuts are really subpar but the sound improves as the engineer fiddles with the miking, balance, etc. Still not good enough. A Rudy van Gelder it isn't. A Roy Du Nann it isn't. A Val Valentin, Bob Simpson, Jack Higgins or Columbia jazz recording team it isn't. :(

He gives a 2 (out of 5) star overall rating, close to 4 star by the end. Perhaps better than you would have rated it, but hardly an enthusiastic sonic recommendation. I haven't heard this release at all (yet), so I can't comment.

But in general both TAS and Stereophile for the past couple of years have been poor judges (in print at least) of sound quality of recordings. Again, I tried to take Harley to task about this, specifically with regard to Paul Simon's most recent album. His published response to my letter is a masterpiece of avoidance; anyone with ears or an audio editing program can hear (and see) that it is very compressed and peak-limited. I then pointed out to him that the dynamic range on the 24/96 HDTracks version was less than the CD of Bookends (just a handy example), hardly an example of wel-recorded or dynamic music itself, and he declined to respond.

hvbias

Jun 22, 2012
New England area
The sound quality on the first two songs of the first set is truly dreadful. The bass and drums sound like they are played on paper instruments. After those two songs it does improve considerably, but it's still not a reference recording. I enjoy the music quite a bit and can oversee the mic'ing short comings.

Definitely not Evans' best trio, but still a cooking date.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing