New Apogee Full Ranges

kwashabc

Jul 22, 2023
I have new Apogee Full Ranges that I used for two months before storing them in a temperature controlled basement for 37 years.

I first heard the Apogees at a meeting of the Westchester Audiophile Society and was very impressed with their sound and design. I subsequently purchased them from Lyric HiFi in New York shortly before relocating from Chappaqua to Atlanta. I am a tube person, but loved the design of the Apogees and was hopeful of finding a reasonable way to drive them with tubes. However I never found the time to set them up so they have languished in my basement since 1986.

I have communicated with most of the authoritative sources regarding the probable status of the low frequency panel damping foam. There are, unsurprisingly, many different opinions about their potential condition, but after extensively researching the issue, I believe that the panels will be fine for many years. Consequently I am including a two year warranty on the panels to the speakers' purchaser.

Anyone that might be interested in acquiring them can find them listed on the typical sites.

72Ghibliss

Sep 5, 2023
New York
Getting the Bass panels re-ribboned will cost $2K for the ribbons plus labor of $5K total $7K if ribbons are no good ie foam oxidation turns foam dampener into dust and buzzing/vibration is caused by this. There is no way that these speakers will not require new ribbons and foam due to the age. It is not a heat related issue. Foam simply oxidizes and the speakers were not stored in an air tight environment so they have now turned to dust. The degradation takes place underneath the wooden clamps that hold the foil ribbon in place so you are unable to visually inspect this.

Are these speakers still available for purchase as I was informed they had been purchased last month ?

kwashabc

Jul 22, 2023
Allen did not consummate the sale, so yes the speakers are still available. As I stated above, I have spoken to most of the Apogee experts re the foam issue and it is my belief that the speakers will be fine which is why I am offering a two year warranty with their sale. The speakers are available for $15,000. If the speaker's low frequency panels fail within the two year period the speaker's purchaser will receive an appropriate rebate.

Last edited:

AudioLibertarian

Dec 25, 2017
NEW YORK CITY
Getting the Bass panels re-ribboned will cost $2K for the ribbons plus labor of $5K total $7K if ribbons are no good ie foam oxidation turns foam dampener into dust and buzzing/vibration is caused by this. There is no way that these speakers will not require new ribbons and foam due to the age. It is not a heat related issue. Foam simply oxidizes and the speakers were not stored in an air tight environment so they have now turned to dust. The degradation takes place underneath the wooden clamps that hold the foil ribbon in place so you are unable to visually inspect this.

Are these speakers still available for purchase as I was informed they had been purchased last month ?
Keep in mind that Bill Thalmann has retired and closed his repair shop in Virginia at the end of August or so.

• Wow
Reactions: christoph

kwashabc

Jul 22, 2023
Bill has passed the torch to Allen Osborne who will be servicing Apogees on the east coast.

kwashabc

Jul 22, 2023
Sorry, I do not.

72Ghibliss

Sep 5, 2023
New York
Keep in mind that Bill Thalmann has retired and closed his repair shop in Virginia at the end of August or so.
I just picked up my beautifully restored Full Ranges from Bill on August 23rd. He closed his shop the following week. I had Bill install Goertz Divinity MI3 cable which I terminated for him to use. The cable is coiled up at the bottom of the speaker which extends 6' to allow connection directly to my Electrocompaniet AW-400 Bass amplifiers.

Attachments

• Apogee Bass Panel 081123.jpg
    Apogee Bass Panel 081123.jpg
    687.1 KB · Views: 43
  • Bass Panel (2) 072923.jpeg
    Bass Panel (2) 072923.jpeg
    235.8 KB · Views: 39
  • Bass Panel (1) 072923.jpeg
    Bass Panel (1) 072923.jpeg
    290.3 KB · Views: 38
Last edited:

AudioLibertarian

Dec 25, 2017
NEW YORK CITY
I just picked up my beautifully restored Full Ranges from Bill on August 23rd. He closed his shop the following week. I had Bill install Goertz Divinity MI3 which I terminated for him to use. The cable is coiled up at the bottom of the speaker which extends 6' to allow connection directly to my Electrocompaniet AW-400 Bass amplifiers.
When I visited Bill early summer, he was working on these very speakers on his bench....Small world :)

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing