Nefertiti

Ron Party

WBF Founding Member
Apr 30, 2010
Oakland, CA
I'm sitting here in my office listening to Miles' Nefertiti (in DSD)

Miles+Davis+-+Nefertiti+-+LP+RECORD-470595.jpg

and am enjoying it quite a bit. All-star line up for sure. We tend to hear significantly more about other albums by Miles. Just wondering what some of the bop-heads here think about the music on this album?

jazdoc

Member Sponsor
Aug 7, 2010
Bellevue
Along with ESP, of my favorite 'middle' period Miles

mep

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
I have this LP and will have to play it again. I don't remember being terribly excited about it on first play.

Cascais

Nov 5, 2012
Portugal
Miles Davis pushing the envelope and what a quintet, with Wayne Shorter, Herbie Hancock, Ron Carter on bass and Tony Williams on drums. This kind of jazz is an acquired taste, for me anyway, for those who like Kind of Blue. The rhythms are slower and languid, and the solo lines are long and unhurried. I am a fan of Shorter's ts, and love the cymbal splashes by Williams. One of my favorite Miles Davis works of the middle period when he was at his peak IMHO. This is jazz as abstract art. Great stuff and great sound.

Orb

Sep 8, 2010
Miles Davis pushing the envelope and what a quintet, with Wayne Shorter, Herbie Hancock, Ron Carter on bass and Tony Williams on drums. This kind of jazz is an acquired taste, for me anyway, for those who like Kind of Blue. The rhythms are slower and languid, and the solo lines are long and unhurried. I am a fan of Shorter's ts, and love the cymbal splashes by Williams. One of my favorite Miles Davis works of the middle period when he was at his peak IMHO. This is jazz as abstract art. Great stuff and great sound.

Great write up.
Cheers
Orb

mep

Apr 20, 2010
So I did break out this LP and listen to it again as a result of this thread and I have to say I liked it much the better this time than I did the first time. I find the music compelling to listen to which I didn't the first time I heard it.

Last edited:

Cascais

Nov 5, 2012
Portugal
So I did break out this LP and listen to it again as a result ol this thread and I have to say I liked it much the better this time than I did the first time. I find the music compelling to listen to which I didn't the first time I heard it.
I played Nefertiti again today also but on CD and enjoyed it as usual. It has a dreamy, almost hypnotic quality as the band goes about its business, with Williams' percussion keeping the soloists grounded. It's certainly not swinging jazz but more abstract in nature and an acquired taste as it took me years to appreciate Nefertiti. However, it's about as far out as I go since I haven't delved into Bitches Brew or Jack Johnson yet. Maybe that's a new topic, for the more adventurous.

mep

Apr 20, 2010
I played Nefertiti again today also but on CD and enjoyed it as usual. It has a dreamy, almost hypnotic quality as the band goes about its business, with Williams' percussion keeping the soloists grounded. It's certainly not swinging jazz but more abstract in nature and an acquired taste as it took me years to appreciate Nefertiti. However, it's about as far out as I go since I haven't delved into Bitches Brew or Jack Johnson yet. Maybe that's a new topic, for the more adventurous.

I thought it was a touch too much abstract for me the first time I heard it. Maybe it was my mood at the time or maybe it was my recent new gear (we do share a line stage in common), but it just sounded very much more engaging to me this time.

Cascais

Nov 5, 2012
Portugal
I thought it was a touch too much abstract for me the first time I heard it. Maybe it was my mood at the time or maybe it was my recent new gear (we do share a line stage in common), but it just sounded very much more engaging to me this time.
Certain music takes a while to get into and that usually is the kind that stays with you, presenting a challenge to your usual listening habits. Davis gets more challenging as you go from the early 1950s to Kind of Blue to Nefertiti and beyond. In the same way, one day you want Mozart and another day Prokofiev. We both have a Ref 5se, although I stay away from tube power amps because of tube anxiety and the heat factor. I bought a Ref 5 and flipped it for a Ref 5se - great piece to use - and couple that with a darTZeel NHB 108.

mep

Apr 20, 2010
Cascais-One of the things that attracted me to the REF 75 after owning plenty of tube amps that use lots of output tubes per channel is the fact they only use two output tubes per channel. It's much easier to maintain a pair of output tubes per channel and cheaper to replace them when the time comes compared to tube amps with two or more pairs per channel.

Cascais

Nov 5, 2012
Portugal
Cascais-One of the things that attracted me to the REF 75 after owning plenty of tube amps that use lots of output tubes per channel is the fact they only use two output tubes per channel. It's much easier to maintain a pair of output tubes per channel and cheaper to replace them when the time comes compared to tube amps with two or more pairs per channel.
I've heard the Ref 100 and 150 but never the Ref 75. For me that would be the most practical ARC tube amp which is an important consideration. The 2000 hours recommended tube life comes around pretty quickly. But I am very satisfied with the ss darTZeel.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing