NBA May Start Punishing Floppers

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
David Stern met with Jeff Van Gundy and the rest of the league’s new competition committee today to talk about different strategies to deal with floppers. New rules haven’t been set yet but several sources are reporting that the league may start punishing floppers by issuing fines after games.

Stern, who reffered to flopping as “trickery” and “deceit,” said that a player could get a memo following a game, saying:

“Greetings from the league office. You have been assigned flopper status … No, I’m joking, but something like that. That sort of lets people know that it’s not enough to say ‘it’s all part of the game.’ “

Stern added that the competition committee was in favor of punishing floppers but exactly how it was going to be done had to be decided.

Stern said:

“If you continue to do this, you may you have to suffer some consequences. What those exactly should be and what the progression is is to be decided … We want to put a stake in the ground that says this is not something that we want to be part of our game, without coming down with a sledgehammer but just doing it in a minimalist way to begin stamping it out. And I think there are ways we can do that and we’ll have to wait and see exactly what we come up with.”

The competition committee, which is comprised of several coaches, owners, and general managers from around the league also discussed expanding instant replay to cover flagrant fouls and goaltending. ESPN reports that the competition committee can’t actually change any rules. Their suggestions will need to be approved by the league’s Board of Governors.

FrantzM

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Weak attempt IMHO.. If a flop decides a championship it is well worth the fine then ... Why doesn't the NBA (andn other major leagues) implement some kind of ticket such as what soccer ... you know some kind of "yellow tag" for unsportsmanlike conduct .. Accumulation of those tags could cost a player playing time in the course of a season or even the playoffs .. then a flop become risky

P.S. Was writing the reply before the last post by Steve .. I agree with Jeff Van Gundy and congratulate him for his frankness. Compare that to Chris Collinsworth's lame remarks in last Sunday's "Innacurate Reception" Packers-Seahawks game ..

FrantzM

Apr 20, 2010
but you must agree Frantz, that the time has come for the league to deal with flopping. It disrupts the rhythm and pace of any game

I am with you Steve.. I also would like to see the "walking" called more often .. LBJ takes 25 steps to the basket carrying the ball and no calls .. That is not good for basketball .. I also think that LBJ (and others) gets away too many times with what would in any league be considered like offensive fouls ... And this is not only for LBJ .. Smply the most prominent of the perpetrators .. As for Flopping .. Pau Gasol is quite good at that but one of the masters of this trade is D Wade

jadis

Apr 28, 2010
Manila, Philippines
Like you I am stunned that LBJ gets away with those too many steps to the basket on so many occasions

and it's well documented on youtube. just search lebron james traveling and a hoard of videos show up, with slow mo too. :)

jadis

Apr 28, 2010
Manila, Philippines
I am with you Steve.. I also would like to see the "walking" called more often .. LBJ takes 25 steps to the basket carrying the ball and no calls .. That is not good for basketball .

just a few days ago, i watched a collegiate finals game on tv with my son. there were lots of traveling going on and the refs did not call them. players spinning around with 2 or more extra steps, lifting of both feet on the fake, boy i thought lebron had run a clinic to our college kids here, and to the refs too. :D

FrantzM

Apr 20, 2010
just a few days ago, i watched a collegiate finals game on tv with my son. there were lots of traveling going on and the refs did not call them. players spinning around with 2 or more extra steps, lifting of both feet on the fake, boy i thought lebron had run a clinic to our college kids here, and to the refs too. :D

You sure they weren't the NFL replacement refs :D

jadis

Apr 28, 2010
Manila, Philippines

jadis

Apr 28, 2010
Manila, Philippines
Tim,

In basketball, an acting job by a player to fall down upon contact from a offensive player who is driving to the basket. This fake flop fools the referee to believe that the offensive player has committed a charging or offensive foul to the flopper when in fact very little contact or none was committed.

Phelonious Ponk

Jun 30, 2010
Tim,

In basketball, an acting job by a player to fall down upon contact from a offensive player who is driving to the basket. This fake flop fools the referee to believe that the offensive player has committed a charging or offensive foul to the flopper when in fact very little contact or none was committed.

See, this is where a little flexibility in the rules of governance would be very useful. If the ref could just grab a microphone and yell "get up you candy-assed little girl!" Then assign the offending flopper to the cheer leading squad for the remainder if the game, that nonsense would sto pretty quickly.

Tim

jadis

Apr 28, 2010
Manila, Philippines
See, this is where a little flexibility in the rules of governance would be very useful. If the ref could just grab a microphone and yell "get up you candy-assed little girl!" Then assign the offending flopper to the cheer leading squad for the remainder if the game, that nonsense would sto pretty quickly.

Tim

you'd be surprised to find out how many big name stars should be called 'candy-assed little girls', and these are the same ones critical of the new rule. i'm really in favor of this rule, as down the 70s to the 80s, there was no such thing as flopping, only charging, which is a charging foul - which is so evident because the defensive guy has been standing pat on his toe for a good few seconds and the offensive player simple barrels his way and brings down the defensive player with him for the charging foul. clearly different from having a defensive player spotting a player driving in and then running into his path and then pretending to be charged and rolled upon. that is where the referees get fooled. and it's not hard to see this on replay, hence the penalty starting this season.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing