Nagra HD DAC and AKDesign

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
Yesterday I could listen to one of the two existing prototypes of the forthcoming Nagra HD DAC. Unfortunately the conditions could not allow to get a meaningful idea of its performance, but as far as I know a french magazine has evaluated it and considered it impressive.

Searching about it I found it seems to use a DAC built by AKDesign, a company founded by Andreas Koch, and has 384/24 and DSD2 capability. As far as I remember Andreas Koch also designed the Playback Designs products. Do you know if they will share the same DAC's?
http://www.akdesigninc.com/

Attachments

• a1.jpg
    a1.jpg
    7.2 KB · Views: 784

Bruce B

WBF Founding Member, Pro Audio Production Member
Apr 25, 2010
Snohomish, WA
www.pugetsoundstudios.com
Andreas uses a FPGA in his units. Nothing off the shelf as far as I know!
Says he is an OEM designer, so I would gather that more of these would show up in other products.

jussy1254

Feb 13, 2011
desperately waiting for mine to arrive. apparently production has started
i heard the prototype at the nagra factory
very promissing

jfrech

VIP/Donor
Sep 3, 2012
Austin
6moons.com has a preview article about this Nagra DAC. Very interesting...

agisthos

Oct 14, 2012
It looks like Alex from APL Hi-Fi is using this DAC module for his latest product as well.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing